Live: Dubrovnik to Athens, 25th August 2024 Encore

fudge

Lunch was in the colonnade (again) a Mexican theme, chilli, fajitas, refried beans Etc.. All very nice but as ever with buffets luke warm food, still very enjoyable, washed down with a White wine.

Time for an afternoon nap, it’s a hard life!

Well, well, well, afternoon trivia, we didn’t come last, we came second last, do you ever get the feeling we are just not brainy enough to do trivia!

We set sail at 5pm for Zakynthos, Greece. A lovely evening, the sun shining brightly, eagerly  awaiting our in suite dining experience.

Zakynthos is the third largest of the Ionian isles. It is famous for its “isolated shipwreck beach” accessible only by boat. The official language is Greek but English is widely spoken.

There are churches and other places of interest including a Byzantine museum.

We were on the pool deck and Mrs Fudge spotted a cruise ship heading towards us, it was the new Silver Ray from the Silversea fleet. It looked like a ghost ship, we couldn't see one single person on board, heading towards Albania, very odd indeed.

Before departing from Albania the Captain announced we will be sailing at 14 mph, for you expert cruise people out there is that a normal speed for a cruise ship?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, fudge said:

We are back on this ship in seven weeks time Istanbul to Athens, it’s the last cruise before the ship moves to Asia.

That is a very interesting sailing; you probably already know but SB President Natalya Leahy will be onboard, and the guest speakers look excellent:

"Featured guests include Dame Stella Rimington, author and former head of the British Secret Service, as well as international wine educator Andrea Furjak."

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

That is a very interesting sailing; you probably already know but SB President Natalya Leahy will be onboard, and the guest speakers look excellent:

"Featured guests include Dame Stella Rimington, author and former head of the British Secret Service, as well as international wine educator Andrea Furjak."

Let’s hope the wine list improves by then 

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, stan01 said:

Maybe when Odyssey leaves the Seabourn fleet the reported understaffing on other ships will get partially addressed.  One can hope.

Excellent point.

I wonder if the current (perceived) under-staffing is by design to allow attrition to proceed without replacement for the last year or so, and then shift some of the Odyssey crew to the other ships.  Yes, one can hope.

• Like 1

Are we missing something? We were reminiscing about cruises we have been on. We have only been cruising since 2010, Regent, Silversea and of course Seabourn. We love them all however, we have seen cutbacks on all cruise lines.

When around the pool deck we used to get fruit on sticks, cool towels, chips/crisps, of course if you ask you get but it dosent come as standard?  

The in suite experience was just outstanding. Two crew members brought enough food to sink a battleship. There were 13 different dishes, king prawns, chicken, beef, all cooked to a high standard. Well done to Seabourn for a delicious meal.

After dinner Mrs Fudge went to the boutique to spend the last of her on board credit. There was $3.60 in credit so she treated Mr Fudge to a packet of paper tissues, she is generous to a fault, nothing gets past Mrs Fudge where finances are involved.

She then went to the theatre to watch the show, The Earth song, by the Seabourn six, scenes included performance of desert rose, coldplay and the shows title Earth song. Even though Mr Fudge is very hard of hearing Mrs Fudge said it was very loud.

Mr Fudge stayed in the suite in his jim jams and tried to finish off the dinner but to no avail.

Today, Thursday we have just docked Zakynthos, yet another lovely day, it’s a tender today, The clocks went forward last evening.

I hope the laundry returns today its been over three days, if not Mr Fudge will have to raid Mrs Fudges lingerie draw, he thinks he would look quite fetching in Blue satin French connection underwear!! (Maybe not)

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

18 hours ago, fudge said:
18 hours ago, fudge said:

All very nice but as ever with buffets luke warm food

I don't know how many times I have asked that the food is a little hotter in the Buffet. Their excuse is that they do not want the passengers to burn themselves??

I have heard also,  so many passengers saying that the food is only warm at best, but Seabourn don't seem to listen.  (Rant Over)

6 hours ago, fudge said:

Are we missing something? We were reminiscing about cruises we have been on. We have only been cruising since 2010, Regent, Silversea and of course Seabourn. We love them all however, we have seen cutbacks on all cruise lines.

When around the pool deck we used to get fruit on sticks, cool towels, chips/crisps, of course if you ask you get but it dosent come as standard?  

The in suite experience was just outstanding. Two crew members brought enough food to sink a battleship. There were 13 different dishes, king prawns, chicken, beef, all cooked to a high standard. Well done to Seabourn for a delicious meal.

After dinner Mrs Fudge went to the boutique to spend the last of her on board credit. There was $3.60 in credit so she treated Mr Fudge to a packet of paper tissues, she is generous to a fault, nothing gets past Mrs Fudge where finances are involved.

She then went to the theatre to watch the show, The Earth song, by the Seabourn six, scenes included performance of desert rose, coldplay and the shows title Earth song. Even though Mr Fudge is very hard of hearing Mrs Fudge said it was very loud.

Mr Fudge stayed in the suite in his jim jams and tried to finish off the dinner but to no avail.

Today, Thursday we have just docked Zakynthos, yet another lovely day, it’s a tender today, The clocks went forward last evening.

I hope the laundry returns today its been over three days, if not Mr Fudge will have to raid Mrs Fudges lingerie draw, he thinks he would look quite fetching in Blue satin French connection underwear!! (Maybe not)

I do remember sitting in a hot tub on a deck other than 8 with Mr. SLSD and having a waiter appear with a glass of wine.  

1 hour ago, LEESRE said:

I don't know how many times I have asked that the food is a little hotter in the Buffet. Their excuse is that they do not want the passengers to burn themselves??

I have heard also,  so many passengers saying that the food is only warm at best, but Seabourn don't seem to listen.  (Rant Over)

On our last cruise earlier this year, I did notice that the food was a lot hotter in the MDR.  The plates were really hot, which made it so.

I haven't noticed a particular problem with the Colonnade I have to say, but I did notice it in the MDR and welcomed that change. 

Half way through the cruise and enjoying it very much. Mr Fudge did not get his usual dig in the ribs this morning, Mrs Fudge decided no morning coffee and pastries today.

Forgot to mention, we missed out on a Seabourn cloth puffin by not winning the trivia, no expense spared there then.

I am sure I spotted on of the crew wearing my “Stockport County” soccer shirt. Panic over, the laundry just arrived.

At the risk of sounding boring we took the 09.25 tender to town.  Plenty of high end boutique shops, Mrs Fudge bought a pair of nice sandals (like she needs more sandles) anyway at 14 Euro,a bargain.

When we returned to the ship the bank manager had left a message on the telephone asking if Mrs Fudge had “lost” her credit card?

I know there are minor disappointments on some voyages however, Mrs Fudge sent a lovely thank you note to the F & B manager thanking him for a lovely in suite dining experience.

Because dozy Mr. Fudge fell asleep on the first day, thereby missing the Solis restaurant we have asked for a cancellation even if means eating at 02.30!!

Stop press: We secured a booking at 6pm on Saturday, Mr Fudge only gets to see the first half of the soccer, it would be more than his life is worth to either fall asleep or mention the football.

For Hank

Sorry Hank, this had to be done! I had a portion of Gelato (ice cream) went to the pool bar ordered a glass of Courvoisier  and poured it over the top.

• Haha 5

LOL about the Courvoisier.  We did spot that bottle (only a VS) at the pool bar and suspect it might be among the last on the ship.  But again, only a VS and not to be found at the Observation, Club or Solis bars.  

Since we are butting-in on your blog, a word about Earth and Ocean.  We gave it a try, a few days ago, a really enjoyed their Salmon (marinated in Sake).  DW thought it the best meal she has had on the ship (until now).  Dined in Solis, last evening, and were not overly impressed.   Service was excellent.  But while the food was quite good, we did not think it up to the quality we used to experience in TK.  We tried the branzino (for 2) which is baked in salt.  While the fish was good and perfectly prepared, it just did not come close to the Dover Sole we used to enjoy in TK.  

Hank

• Like 4

Serious question: Is there a place lower than last at Trivia? Today's prize a weeks cruise, and if you believe that you would believe anything? Hey, it’s a fun quiz game right?

Tomorrow is a sea day, on our last cruise Alaska to Japan we had six sea days, Mr Fudge thought he was going to burst he consumed so much food and alcohol, he was worried that he may may be weighed at the airport, even if it was a first for us in first class.

Sail away today is an Abba theme, the weather has turned, there was thunder and lightning in the distance but thankfully is did not come our way. It was a great turn out for the sail away, everyone singing and dancing, ABBA never seems to age does it?

The only small hiccup was we ordered caviare, after one hour wait we gave up! Never mind, there is always tomorrow. One of the crew promised us he would look after us tomorrow.  The sea is very calm thankfully, a big lie in this morning, no dig in the ribs until 08.30 the coffee at Seabourn square is very nice as are the cranberry twists.

Last evening at the sail away I squeezed the last of the Courvoisier bottle, I think Hank has been having a sneaky drink? I was told by the bartender that’s it no more to be had, big boos.

We had a lovely meal in the Restaurant, Mrs Fudge has two appetizers followed by the lamb rack, Mr Fudge had the seafood cake followed by a lovely pasta dish, the plates were piping hot.

• Like 6

LOL.  I did not get to that Courvoisier.  Funny thing about the Hardy Cognac is that the bar tenders always warn me that it is “all they have.”  Most seem hesitant to serve the stuff, which is drinkable, but not even in the same orbit as the cheapest Courvoisier or Remy.  SB’s new boss should be sentenced to a lifetime of bread and Hardy Cognac.  She would quickly get the message.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

SB President Natalya Leahy will be onboard on our cruise in seven weeks, I am going to ask her will she join me in having a top cognac or  similar? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

We really are sailing at a snails pace, 7 knots, about 8mph which is not a bad thing.

So, there was a coffee morning with senior officers at 10 am in Seabourn square. Mr Fudge was there bang on time to raise the cognac issue. Look, I know I am making a big deal over this but when there are three top cognacs on the menu and none available then something is not right?

A lady officer approached me and asked if everything was OK, I asked her was she wearing her hard hat? I politely pointed out my issue. She listened carefully and said she would look into the matter. I said, if you find any on board please deliver to suite 827, which she said she would, sorry Hank!

Chair hog day! I predicted last evening it would be a chair hog day because we are at sea, yep, I was right, went to the pool deck hardly a sun bed to be had, and a lot unattended, oh well, that’s human nature for you.

While Mr Fudge was at the coffee morning Mrs Fudge had another bowl of bird seed crafty devil.

Finally, we had our first caviar at the fourth time of asking, OK it took 45 minutes to arrive but we enjoyed it.

Trivia: Don’t ask!! Who wants a Seabourn travel plug anyway?

Lunch: Pizza and fries hits the spot sometimes.

• Like 7

The Captain made an odd statement earlier “some of you think we are not moving, I can assure you we are”?

You just know its towards the end of the cruise when you receive your disembarkation luggage tags and your “do you want to leave a deposit for a future cruise notice”

This evening we received an invitation to a special cocktail reception in the grand salon at 6pm to honour Seabourn club members.

We ate in the colonnade with a lovely couple we met on the ship, the ladies had the fish, the gents had a steak, all very nice food.

This morning we landed in Nafplion, Greece, this is a marina day apparently, where guests can go out to sea on the toys, kayak, banana boat, the sea is very calm so it sounds good to go.

We have just returned from our one and only excursion, the Corinth canal.

We took a tender to the shore about 15 minutes, met by a local guide who we spent 50 minutes with around the town exploring places of interest.

We then boarded a bus/coach for a one hour ride to the Corinth Canal. I wont bore you with the dimensions suffice to say its about a 20 minute boat ride along a very narrow and  steep sided passage.

It was a lovely trip, plenty to see, great photo opportunity.

We returned to the ship about an hour late so missed the Colonnade, no big deal.

We ate by the pool side then the heavens opened, torrential rain, thunder and lightning, we had to rush to take cover with our burgers!

• Like 4

That’s almost it  folks nearly over. We have had a great time on this cruise. Met some lovely people, a lovely ship, great crew, super food.

We cant wait to come back in October. Our last evening in the Solis, Mrs Fudge has 90% packed, that’s above the pay scale of Mr Fudge!!

What ever cruise line you choose we hope you have a safe and pleasant journey, thanks for your responses, it wouldn't be the same without you.

We had very relaxing meal in the Solis, it really is a cut above the rest if you manage to get a reservation.

When we disembark we decided to spend a night in Athens so we could secure a decent flight to Istanbul then onto Cyprus. Our 13 cats will give us a warm welcome we hope?

Our usual nightcap in the observation lounge, very quiet indeed, I guess most folks packing who are leaving the ship.

Here we are then, arrived in Athens 03.30. A lazy morning before heading off to our hotel.

Bye everybody, see you in seven weeks. Take care, stay safe.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

Thanks Hank,

We are in a lovely hotel in Athens, flying home in the morning. By the way, as expected nothing came of my speaking to a senior staff member about you know what.😝

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, fudge said:

Thanks Hank,

We are in a lovely hotel in Athens, flying home in the morning. By the way, as expected nothing came of my speaking to a senior staff member about you know what.😝

Unfortunately nothing could come of speaking to a senior staff member as the Hardy decision has been made by Head Office and nothing anyone on ship can do - number of staff on Ovation stressed this point.   😀

Loved following your trip and your writing style.  Looking forward to your next trip.  I’ll be on another sb ship at that time.  Sorry, I don’t post any live reports on CC, I do on a different site as it’s not available to the world! 😂

Nancy