Pros/Cons of Havana Interior on Mardi Gras?

So I'm comparing the interior cabins.  We don't spend a ton of time in our rooms and are fine with interior. But when we are in there we like some peace.  So pros and cons.....

Anyone know if they are different sizes?

I'm guessing it's more peaceful in the Havana since small children aren't allowed?

But.... I heard you can hear the theater at night.  However we don't crash very early typically so that might be fine.  We do nap mid afternoon though.  

Anything else to consider? Is the Havana outdoor area worth it?

9 hours ago, AandBmom said:

So I'm comparing the interior cabins.  We don't spend a ton of time in our rooms and are fine with interior. But when we are in there we like some peace.  So pros and cons.....

Anyone know if they are different sizes?

I'm guessing it's more peaceful in the Havana since small children aren't allowed?

But.... I heard you can hear the theater at night.  However we don't crash very early typically so that might be fine.  We do nap mid afternoon though.  

Anything else to consider? Is the Havana outdoor area worth it?

I have never been in a interior, so my comments are somewhat jaded.  That said, most interiors are along the walls of the Havana bar (in non Excel class ships), so my guess is there may be ambient noise.  The action in the bar stops at 11.  Just something to consider.  LOVE the Havana area on Vista class.  Best Carnival idea in decades….

• Like 1

I have stayed in Horizon 7457 and 5230. I think we preferred 7457, but I have a terrible memory for such things.

7457 (youtube vid) allowed us to hop down the steps really quickly and was also pretty quiet. They also lock one of the entrances to the Havana area and I believe this one was the side that was unlocked, so you didn't have to traverse across the bar area in wet clothes all the time:

image.png.25aded81a0c4c2a4a1beb2f76f142d96.png

5230 was on the wrong side, so we either had to go through the bar area or elevator area to get to the entrance side. Noises from the bar were not as bad as I was expecting. So from that standpoint, it wasn't so bad.

image.png.d10bc5f0df0499c22d8003ae3ede1ead.png

If it's a choice between a balcony without Havana access or an interior with Havana access, I'd choose Havana every time. I will say that I actually prefer Serenity over Havana on port days, when it's not crowded. I like the furniture and atmosphere better over there. But Havana is a godsend on sea days when Serenity is at capacity.

Also, kids 12 and older are now allowed in Havana FYI. It's no longer adults only.

Here is a link worth checking out:

Mardi Gras (MD) Havana Experience and Staterooms

There are 2 interior cabins on deck 7 on the vista class.  Best deal ever!  Booked them again.  The Havana on the Celebration was a zero in my opinion. 😞  Not even close.  Would never do it again.   

• Like 2

I'm in the minority here in that I  love the Havana area on the Excel class ships.  We typically sail at popular times when the ships are full (holidays, school breaks, etc.) and I love the fact you can count on being able to find plenty of lounge chairs in a calm, quiet environment with no children.  Of course it varies by sailing, but in our case even when the ship was sold out, the Havana area was never crowded - we could go out anytime of the day and at least half the chairs would be available. 

Although the Havana Bar can certainly be loud, it never bothered us in the room.  And again, loved the fact that (in our experience) there were no kids running up/down the halls and screaming - that bothers me more than club noise.  And we never heard any theater noise (but we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin either).

Regarding your question on the room size, it is my understanding that all of the interior rooms are the same size, however, there are a handful of square interior room in the Havana area and we prefer them over the traditional.

Granted, if you want to get in some serious swimming, the pool is too small, and there are no hot tubs.  Since we never use the pools/hot tubs on the ship, it's perfect for us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, csm5986142 said:

I'm in the minority here in that I  love the Havana area on the Excel class ships.  We typically sail at popular times when the ships are full (holidays, school breaks, etc.) and I love the fact you can count on being able to find plenty of lounge chairs in a calm, quiet environment with no children.  Of course it varies by sailing, but in our case even when the ship was sold out, the Havana area was never crowded - we could go out anytime of the day and at least half the chairs would be available. 

Although the Havana Bar can certainly be loud, it never bothered us in the room.  And again, loved the fact that (in our experience) there were no kids running up/down the halls and screaming - that bothers me more than club noise.  And we never heard any theater noise (but we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin either).

Regarding your question on the room size, it is my understanding that all of the interior rooms are the same size, however, there are a handful of square interior room in the Havana area and we prefer them over the traditional.

Granted, if you want to get in some serious swimming, the pool is too small, and there are no hot tubs.  Since we never use the pools/hot tubs on the ship, it's perfect for us.

I have done both.  IMO Vista class is far superior, that said, I would do Excel class again.

20 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I have done both.  IMO Vista class is far superior, that said, I would do Excel class again.

The overall layout is superior on the vista class, but I definitely do not think that the Havana area on the Excel is as bad as what people are making it out to be. I am on the celebration right now in a Havana cabana. Yes, the pool area is smaller. But, it has rarely been used. And my wife likes to go in at night. After 6 it is empty. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, UPNYGuy said:

The overall layout is superior on the vista class, but I definitely do not think that the Havana area on the Excel is as bad as what people are making it out to be. I am on the celebration right now in a Havana cabana. Yes, the pool area is smaller. But, it has rarely been used. And my wife likes to go in at night. After 6 it is empty. 

totally agree

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

totally agree

I also noticed that because the outdoor lounge area is on the side of the ship, it tends to be a little bit breezier. 

The cabanas themselves on the excels are a little bit smaller than the vistas, but not by much. It looks as if they are short one of the lattice squares between the cabin in comparison to the vistas. But it doesn’t affect the usability unless you are like 10’ tall. 

Edited by UPNYGuy

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yup, another good point.  My guess is there are more cabins associated with HC status on Excel class, but agree it was never really crowded when we were there.

71 Havana cabins on Panorama if I counted correctly, vs 98 on celebration according to goccl

Just now, jimbo5544 said:

Thanks, I was too lazy to go look it up

I’m sitting in my cabana, DW is reading. We both have drinks. So figured would give me something to do instead of book another cruise. 

• Haha 2

I completely forgot one of the best kept secrets of the interior cabins on the Excel ships. If you book early, nab one of the square interior Havana cabins. They are somewhat larger than the standard interior cabins, and have better space utilization because of the square shape. 

Our first cruise on the Mardi Gras was in the Havana cabins(Balcony) I would not do it again, not worth the prices when compared to how much less you get vs the Vista class Havana. That is my major CON. 

when we were on Celebration the only time you couldn't find a lounger was on the last sea day. Everybody and their bother was out that day. We booked an inside cabin in the Havana area for a few weeks from now and Carnival called with an upgrade offer for a Havana corner suite we couldn't pass up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

when we were on Celebration the only time you couldn't find a lounger was on the last sea day. Everybody and their bother was out that day. We booked an inside cabin in the Havana area for a few weeks from now and Carnival called with an upgrade offer for a Havana corner suite we couldn't pass up.

Aft excel?

21 hours ago, Illbcruzn4life said:

I wish. lol I had to go look that up since we usually cruise in the cheap seats. No we are on deck 8 Havana corner suite

While it is not and Aft Excel suite, it is a pretty nice room...

• Like 1

On 8/27/2024 at 7:22 AM, five. said:

Also, kids 12 and older are now allowed in Havana FYI. It's no longer adults only.

Here is a link worth checking out:

Mardi Gras (MD) Havana Experience and Staterooms

Havana has been 12+ since it first came out on the Vista.  We were on its 3rd cruise and my son was 12 at the time and we loved the Havana area.

On 9/1/2024 at 5:41 PM, jimbo5544 said:

While it is not and Aft Excel suite, it is a pretty nice room...

Premium Vista Blacony?  Those are nice, I've been debating about getting one for my Panorama cruise, but then I had friends book the 4 cabins next to mine, so I'll stay in the Cabana.

7 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Havana has been 12+ since it first came out on the Vista.  We were on its 3rd cruise and my son was 12 at the time and we loved the Havana area.

Premium Vista Blacony?  Those are nice, I've been debating about getting one for my Panorama cruise, but then I had friends book the 4 cabins next to mine, so I'll stay in the Cabana.

you cannot go wrong staying in a Havana room

6 hours ago, vwrestler171 said:

Unless its the Excel class.  They really ruined the Havana area on those ships.

Meh, ruined is a strong word.  Do I like Vista class better?  absolutely.  I have sailed in both and would again on Excel class, but prefer Vista.