Which Fjords ports to self-tour vs. excursion?

Sailing on HAL Rotterdam next year and have an excursion included in our fare.  Which one of these would be the best for an excursion?  

• Haugesund
  • Eidfjord
  • Bergen
  • Kirkwall, Scotland (I figured I'd throw that in there if this could possibly be the winner)

Thank you!

Bergen has a lot to offer and lends itself to DIY.
Haugesund and Eidfjord are relatively small towns with very few activities and attractions nearby. For both cities, excursions will be needed to get the most out of the a Norwegian Cruise. 
I have no knowledge of Kirkwall.

• Thanks 1

As you probably know, Kirkwall is the capital of the Orkney Islands.  An excursion will take you out of town.  The town itself is pleasant with a cathedral but is unlikely to keep you for a full day.  In my opinion it would be good to see more of the island, historic sites, scenery.    

I agree, see Bergen on your own.  Haugesund and Eidfjord are small. 

Why not look at the excursions typically provided in each port by HAL?  You might fancy a particular one depending on your interests.  

10 minutes ago, Planning to cruise said:

As you probably know, Kirkwall is the capital of the Orkney Islands.  An excursion will take you out of town.  The town itself is pleasant with a cathedral but is unlikely to keep you for a full day.  In my opinion it would be good to see more of the island, historic sites, scenery.    

I agree, see Bergen on your own.  Haugesund and Eidfjord are small. 

Why not look at the excursions typically provided in each port by HAL?  You might fancy a particular one depending on your interests.  

I didn't know, that is extremely helpful.  We were desperate to get a Fjords cruise in before the new rules were passed and went into this blindly.  Your advice is really great, thanks.

1 hour ago, CruiseMelissa said:

We were desperate to get a Fjords cruise in before the new rules were passed and went into this blindly.  Your advice is really great, thanks.

No need to be desperate - Then you should have chosen a cruise to Flåm and Geiranger. It is a misunderstanding that all cruises to the Norwegian fjords are affected From 2926 
The itinerary fir your cruise will not be affected by the restrictions from 2026 - in fact it is only cruises to Flåm and Geiranger.
There will also be cruises to Haugesund, Eidfjord and Bergen after 2026. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CruiseMelissa said:

Sailing on HAL Rotterdam next year and have an excursion included in our fare.  Which one of these would be the best for an excursion?  

• Haugesund
  • Eidfjord
  • Bergen
  • Kirkwall, Scotland (I figured I'd throw that in there if this could possibly be the winner)

Thank you!

For me, the highlights to see in Kirkwall (or rather outside of it) are Skara Brae and Maeshowe. You would need either a ship sponsored or locally provided excursion to get to them. 

Edited by gnome12

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

For me, the highlights to see in Kirkwall (or rather outside of it) are Skara Brae and Maeshowe. You would need either a ship sponsored or locally provided excursion to get to them. 

Wonderful, thank you!