Monaco port to Saint Paul de Vence on a Sunday

mozfoz

Any recommendations of how to do this without a private driver. It appears Uber is not permitted in Monaco, and we do not want bus or train, if there even is one running on a Sunday. Is a taxi possible for a reasonable cost? 

Posted (edited)

@mozfoz

The private driver would be more reasonable than two taxis. It would also be a known price. You don't want to pay for a running meter on a waiting taxi or overpay for a taxi when you have to get back and have no other options. It is over 30 miles each way. 

Look at

https://www.friend-in-france.com/

Edited by marazul

I'd not heard of that before, but we always take the train to Monaco.

I tried entering address of a shoe shop in Monaco into my app and it's offering me three different classes of car with prices around €68 for the 40km trip.

I've messaged a lady that works in the shop, will see what she comes back with.

• 2 weeks later...

No reply from the lady I messaged in Monaco. She could be on leave or changed jobs.

We were there yesterday and I tried the app in various places and got result shown in screenshot each time. So either drivers aren't there or the system doesn't show anything because Monaco don't allow them to.

I didn't try the suggested fix of walking to a point on French soil.

So it looks like you can't get an Uber from Monaco but I am being offered rides to Monaco.

Screenshot_20240906-145838.thumb.png.5766284c34c12b6e09c074f1fb50d860.png

On 8/27/2024 at 5:23 PM, mozfoz said:

Any recommendations of how to do this without a private driver.

I know I took taxis in Monte Carlo because I did not rent a car and even though it's quite small, some parts aren't easy to do on foot, such as going through that tunnel!

Here is the link to the Taxis Monaco service that is the only one authorized: https://www.taximonaco.com/index.php?sPage=home&do=ChangeLang&NewLang=en&lang=fr

The website states that only 95 drivers are authorized to operate, they work 24/7, which I can attest because I had no problems getting a taxi after being out late at night. 

Please note, these are Mercedes cars, but Mercs are typical as taxis throughout Europe and one would absolutely expect nothing less in Monaco (for sure, better kitted Mercs than usual) but the website also says that they have vans, so it would be the Mercedes Sprinter vans, which hold 7, more for a supplement. 

Rates are not higher because they are Mercedes. It says they charge taxi rates and I wasn't the type to take taxis often, prices were fair enough.

Here's a list of Taxi Stations and Call Phones:

https://www.taximonaco.com/stations_taxi_monaco#section1

St Paul de Vence isn't far and so this should be an easy and reasonable trip. Good luck.

From the port at Monte Carlo to St. Paul de Vence is a good distance (depending on your route).  We normally rent a car in Monte Carlo and simply drive ourself.  A taxi will cost a bundle, and if you want them to wait (hours) or come back for the return, the cost will be hundreds of Euros.

It can be done via public transportation, but this will either involve both train and buses or just buses.  It can also involve using the Nice Tram system.  Lots of options with public transit, but they all do require substantial time.  The only public transit that actually gets you the final few miles to St Paul de Vence is the bus.

I should mention that renting a car, on Sundays/Holidays can be tricky due to agency closures.

This is one of those situations where a cruise line excursion (if offered) is the wisest option.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

You can get a taxi from St Paul de Vence back to Monaco. There is Uber in Cannes and so not sure, but perhaps an eager driver might be willing to make the pick up. Uber can drop off, just not pick up in Monaco. 

Yes, these are not autostradas that are quick/speedy, but the drivers know the way around the coastal roads and it'll be so scenic and beautiful, great way to see more of the coast and villages, the ride will be pleasant and you'll be there before too long. 

You can use Google translate to write in French for emails but it's quite likely that English will be ok. (Pro tip: using a bit of French can help kickstart a wonderful experience!)

Let us know what you decided and how it all goes after you've traveled. 

2 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

You can get a taxi from St Paul de Vence back to Monaco. There is Uber in Cannes and so not sure, but perhaps an eager driver might be willing to make the pick up. Uber can drop off, just not pick up in Monaco. 

Yes, these are not autostradas that are quick/speedy, but the drivers know the way around the coastal roads and it'll be so scenic and beautiful, great way to see more of the coast and villages, the ride will be pleasant and you'll be there before too long. 

You can use Google translate to write in French for emails but it's quite likely that English will be ok. (Pro tip: using a bit of French can help kickstart a wonderful experience!)

Let us know what you decided and how it all goes after you've traveled. 

I took a look at the Uber fare estimator and its ONLY about 80 Euros for a one-way from St Paul de Vence to Monte Carlo.  Who knows with surge pricing :).

Hank

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2024 at 6:01 PM, Hlitner said:

ONLY about 80 Euros for a one-way from St Paul de Vence to Monte Carlo.  Who knows with surge pricing :).

Surge pricing in SPdV? Soul crushing 😨 

I don't use Uber anywhere, I just can't. Used a yellow taxi in the city last week, driver's been at it 35 years. 

This definitely works to accomplish the journey, meets people's needs and that's incredible. I still have to do my own thing, even some times if it makes things harder for myself. (Yeah I know...🤣)

At least packing lighter helps. 

2 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Surge pricing in SPdV? Soul crushing 😨 

I don't use Uber anywhere, I just can't. Used a yellow taxi in the city last week, driver's been at it 35 years. 

This definitely works to accomplish the journey, meets people's needs and that's incredible. I still have to do my own thing, even some times if it makes things harder for myself. (Yeah I know...🤣)

At least packing lighter helps. 

I may be wrong, but believe that Uber has now employed "surge pricing" everywhere there is Uber.   I will usually price-out Uber (easily done on their app) in most places, as it lets one make a judgement whether or not to pay for a taxi.  Interestingly, in some countries when you call for an Uber you get a taxi (this is the case in Japan).  The difference is that with Uber, you know the price before you commit, but with a taxi you may not know the price until you reach your destination.

We live in Puerto Vallarta, for part of the year.  In that city, Uber is alive and well and legal.  For a few years, Uber was usually less expensive than the taxis.  But the last two years, with surge pricing, there are times that Uber is about the same or even more then the taxis.  But the catch is that taxis do not have meters, and one must be somewhat aware of the proper price and know how to "negotiate" to get that price.   In NYC, it seems to be a mixed bag (because of surge pricing).  By the way, you might appreciate one of our NYC tales.  We took the train into Penn Station and needed to get over to Red Hook (for a cruise).  Walked out of the station to the taxi queue and the first two yellow cabs refused to take us because they said they would likely have to return empty!  The next taxi also refused, and I got annoyed, pulled out my phone, and said "guess I will get an Uber."  That taxi driver immediately told us to get in and did run us over to the port (and he even knew the way).

Hank