Help getting from St Pancras to Waterloo for the train to Southampton Please

My husband and will be taking the 11:12am Eurostar from Paris to London arriving at 12:30pm on Monday, October 7th.  We need to get to the Waterloo Station to catch the train to Southampton for our cruise departing on Tuesday, October 8th.

We have been studying the Underground tube system, we think we may have it figured out, but would appreciate any assistance and/or confirmation that this is the best and correct way.  From the Eurostar, we plan to get off at St Pancras and will walk to King’s Crossing to take the underground to the Euston tube station.  We will then need to walk and take the tube station toward Kennington to Waterloo Station to catch the train to Southampton.

It looks like the Southampton trains that will probably work the best for us are offered at 1:35pm, 2:05pm, or 2:35pm.  Which of these times do you think will be best to purchase to ensure that we can get to our timed train for Southampton without any issues?     Thank you kindly!!

6 hours ago, like2cruise said:

My husband and will be taking the 11:12am Eurostar from Paris to London arriving at 12:30pm on Monday, October 7th.  We need to get to the Waterloo Station to catch the train to Southampton for our cruise departing on Tuesday, October 8th.

We have been studying the Underground tube system, we think we may have it figured out, but would appreciate any assistance and/or confirmation that this is the best and correct way.  From the Eurostar, we plan to get off at St Pancras and will walk to King’s Crossing to take the underground to the Euston tube station.  We will then need to walk and take the tube station toward Kennington to Waterloo Station to catch the train to Southampton.

It looks like the Southampton trains that will probably work the best for us are offered at 1:35pm, 2:05pm, or 2:35pm.  Which of these times do you think will be best to purchase to ensure that we can get to our timed train for Southampton without any issues?     Thank you kindly!!

The best Underground route is Victoria Line from St.P/KX to Oxford Circus and change to Bakerloo for Waterloo. It is a very easy change, about 40 yards on the flat. Nonetheless, if you have suitcases, I would simply get a taxi, much more expensive, but infinitely more relaxing, and should not take too much longer. There are usually oodles of taxis at St. P.

If the Eurostar is on time, you should get the 2.05 without anxiety. If you want time for a snack, book the 2.35. There is no catering on the train.

If you take the tube, there is no need to walk from St Pancras to King’s Cross (they are next door to each other across the street). There are several entrances to the tube inside St Pancras station so just follow the signs when you emerge from the Eurostar.

Otherwise, follow the excellent advice above from @exlondoner. Victoria line to Oxford Circus then change to the Bakerloo line to Waterloo from the adjacent platform. OR take a taxi.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you are unsure of changing lines on the Tube you can walk to Euston for a direct Northern line tube.

However having done the trip dozens of time when I lived in London the suggestion above of Victoria Line to Oxford Circus, Bakerloo Line to Waterloo is the one I usually took,

For less hassle, especially if you have luggage, is to take a black cab from the St Pancras rank.  Likely cost £20-25.

All options will take about half an hour.  The 2.05pm will give you some time for any delays.

Edited by Thejuggler

And, if you get a taxi, depending on the route the driver uses, you will probably get a chance to admire the wonderful view of London in both directions from Waterloo Bridge. Worth the price in itself.

I'll leave the routing St Pancras to Waterloo to those who know London better than I.

But is it they or I who have misunderstood which day ?

You say that you arrive on Eurostar at lunchtime on Monday 7th, and travel to Southampton on Tues 8th, Right?

So you'll be overniting in London or Southampton on the monday night. Right ?

If oveniting in London why do you need directions between St P. and Waterloo ?

If overniting in Southampton, a train which arrives by about 7pm, in time to check-in & get an evening meal, or even later if you have dinner in London, would give you more time in London

The 1.35pm train arrives Southampton Central at ten minutes to three, the 2.05pm arrives at 3,22pm, the 2.35 arrives at ten minutes to four.

The only ship sailing on 8th October is the Caribbean Princess - she sails from Ocean Cruise Terminal (berth 46), a ten minute taxi ride or a 30 minute walk from the station.

I don't know the sailing time, but the usual is 5pm to 5.30pm. Latest registration time at the terminal is around 90 minutes before sailing, so could be 3.30pm, or even earlier.

If you miss your sailing, it's a long swim to your first port-of-call 😏

Do check in your paperwork the latest registration time - the 2.35pm train would likely be extremely risky, possibly also the 2.05.

And in case of missing your booked train or any delays, it's always better to book for the second-to-latest possible train.

(book the train soonest - the Advance ticket fare costs a fraction of the walk-up tickets, altho that fare is fluid & rises significantly as the date closes in - and they're only valid for the train time that you've booked)

JB 🙂

2 hours ago, exlondoner said:

Why would they miss their sailing by travelling down on 7th? Even at its worst SouthWestern is not that bad. Well, only once perhaps, when everything froze.

"We need to get to the Waterloo Station to catch the train to Southampton for our cruise departing on Tuesday, October 8th"

No problem if travelling down on 7th, but OP is unclear whether they're travelling down on 7th or 8th

JB 🙂

6 minutes ago, John Bull said:

"We need to get to the Waterloo Station to catch the train to Southampton for our cruise departing on Tuesday, October 8th"

No problem if travelling down on 7th, but OP is unclear whether they're travelling down on 7th or 8th

JB 🙂

Seemed clear to me, particularly as there is a concern as to which train they can catch from Waterloo. This is relevant if they are travelling the day the arrive from Paris, but not the next day.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Seemed clear to me, particularly as there is a concern as to which train they can catch from Waterloo. This is relevant if they are travelling the day the arrive from Paris, but not the next day.

Wasn't clear to me

Hence my comment  "If overniting in Southampton, a train which arrives by about 7pm, in time to check-in & get an evening meal, or even later if you have dinner in London, would give you more time in London"

JB 🙂

1 minute ago, John Bull said:

Wasn't clear to me

Hence my comment  "If overniting in Southampton, a train which arrives by about 7pm, in time to check-in & get an evening meal, or even later if you have dinner in London, would give you more time in London"

JB 🙂

I assume that is not what the OP wishes or s/he would have asked a different question, like ‘What time is the last train?’.

Thank you for all the wonderful and expertise information.  It is extremely helpful.  The underground route given makes more sense than the one that we came up on our own.  The taxi is a great suggestion as well and we will consider that.  We are going to Southampton on the 7th and have a hotel there for one night before our cruise. We have stayed in London previously and it is lovely as are the people such as all of you that help visitors like ourselves.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, like2cruise said:

Thank you for all the wonderful and expertise information.  It is extremely helpful.  The underground route given makes more sense than the one that we came up on our own.  The taxi is a great suggestion as well and we will consider that.  We are going to Southampton on the 7th and have a hotel there for one night before our cruise. We have stayed in London previously and it is lovely as are the people such as all of you that help visitors like ourselves.  

We did exactly the same as you are planning to do only a month ago. Eurostar to St P and needed to get to Waterloo to head down to our cruise. As we were lugging cases we just followed the signs to the taxi stand and plenty of taxis kept arriving. Easy and didn't cost that much.

• Like 1

Personally, starting at St. Pancras, I would not schlep baggage across London to Waterloo down on the Underground..

I'd take the 13:00 from St Pancras south to Brighton, arrive 14:18. This gives you time to pick up some midday refreshment at St Pancras to eat/drink on the train.

Then take the 14:43 Brighton to Southampton Central, westward along the south coast, arriving 16:31, in time for your hotel check-in. Again, giving ample time to change at Brighton. Perhaps a refresher at the station buffet.

Although it may take longer than via Waterloo, it's a much easier route with baggage - and likely cheaper, too.

Leave from platform "A" at St. Pancras, on a lower level than the Euro-star terminus; there are elevators and escalators. The change of platforms at Brighton (a terminus) is all on ground level.

The train terminates at Southampton, so no rush to get off.

This is all main line rail travel, it does not involve the Underground at all.

Trains to Brighton are frequent - about 4 an hour. The Southampton train departs half-hourly at xx:13 and xx:43. Lots of options.

Cheaper "Advance" tickets are bookable online at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

4 hours ago, Canuker said:

Personally, starting at St. Pancras, I would not schlep baggage across London to Waterloo down on the Underground..

I'd take the 13:00 from St Pancras south to Brighton, arrive 14:18. This gives you time to pick up some midday refreshment at St Pancras to eat/drink on the train.

Then take the 14:43 Brighton to Southampton Central, westward along the south coast, arriving 16:31, in time for your hotel check-in. Again, giving ample time to change at Brighton. Perhaps a refresher at the station buffet.

Although it may take longer than via Waterloo, it's a much easier route with baggage - and likely cheaper, too.

Leave from platform "A" at St. Pancras, on a lower level than the Euro-star terminus; there are elevators and escalators. The change of platforms at Brighton (a terminus) is all on ground level.

Trains to Brighton are frequent - about 4 an hour. The Southampton train departs half-hourly at xx:13 and xx:43. Lots of options.

Cheaper "Advance" tickets are bookable online at https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Sorry, but as a Londoner, now living near Soton, I wouldn’t even think about this route. If you want to avoid escalators, get a taxi.

5 hours ago, Canuker said:

No, just no.

Aside from the cost - there will be no advance tickets on the St Pancras via Brighton route because they are commuter services - so you are likely looking at quadruple the price for that route, you will also be spending three times the amount of time on the trains (and having suffered commuting on those trains they are built down to a specification and comfort on seating was not a high priority).

Just get the train from Waterloo.

Edited by 9265359
  • Like 1

We have already bought our tickets on the Waterloo, but we appreciate everyone's opinion.  We are planning to follow the underground path that the majority recommended with a back up plan of using a taxi if we overpack.   

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2024 at 2:18 PM, like2cruise said:

The underground route given makes more sense than the one that we came up on our own.  The taxi is a great suggestion as well and we will consider that.

With luggage, I would not take a Tube route that arrives at Waterloo on either the Bakerloo Line or the Northern Line. This is because IIRC the exit from both of these lines is not step-free. However, there is step-free exit from the Jubilee Line. So I would suggest taking the Northern Line southbound from Kings Cross St Pancras to London Bridge, and change there (step-free) to the Jubilee Line westbound to Waterloo.

Having said that, there's a pretty good chance that you'd also find me taking a cab for this journey.

• Thanks 1