Christmas /Holiday cruise - What makes them special?

Hey CC 

We are considering jumping on a Dec 21-28 sailing on the Panorama.  I am curious what makes them special?  We will have just sailed the same ship - different itinerary- essentially a month before…. But thinking of getting away over the holidays for a bunch of reason.   

it will be just DH & I for the sailing f we go. 

Thanks for any input!

I think this was on Carnival.  On our sailing, they decorated the Main Area ( the Piazza?) for Christmas.  We gathered to sing Christmas Carols at a certain time, they passed out Spiced Apple Cider, and then IT SNOWED!!!!!  That was the most memorable Christmas trip.  

• Like 1

There are lots of Christmas shows and activities. For example, there’s a tree lighting, caroling, Santa hat giveaway, special appearances of the Grinch, Christmas movies, lots of Christmas music, and a special dinner that is only for Christmas Eve.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lesters said:

But thinking of getting away over the holidays for a bunch of reason.   

We agree.

All the festive stuff the cruise line does is a nice bonus but escaping has its benefits too.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

We took a Christmas cruise on the Legend. Noticeable differences: MDR Christmas menu, Decorations around the ship, got a Santa Hat at the Platinum/Diamond party. Oh. and there will be more children running around.

Edited by CruisinArn
  • Like 2

I am booked on a Christmas cruise again for 2024.  But this is Journey's cruise, so I don't expect a lot of kids.  Normally, a Christmas vacation cruise will have lots of kids.

Christmas decorations, Christmas music (often a concert by the crew [lots of Filipinos, who generally love to sing).  A non-denominational service.  I usually skip Santa's visit.  Christmas dinner.  I had forgotten the snow in the atrium, which 92Sea mentioned.

I feel sorry for the crew who are making us happy while they miss their families, so there is extra tipping by many of us.

We did a pre-Christmas cruise two years ago.  The kids did a show with the crew and sang songs, which was nice.  They also had a Hannukah celebration in addition to Christmas.  We really enjoyed all the decorations and fun.

13 hours ago, Mike45LC said:

I am booked on a Christmas cruise again for 2024.  But this is Journey's cruise, so I don't expect a lot of kids.  Normally, a Christmas vacation cruise will have lots of kids.

Christmas decorations, Christmas music (often a concert by the crew [lots of Filipinos, who generally love to sing).  A non-denominational service.  I usually skip Santa's visit.  Christmas dinner.  I had forgotten the snow in the atrium, which 92Sea mentioned.

I feel sorry for the crew who are making us happy while they miss their families, so there is extra tipping by many of us.

I was wondering if there were any type of CHristmas services.  Do you remember was it Christmas eve or Christmas morning?

We've sailed around the holidays for a number of cruises but this year will be our first that we are actually on the ship for Christmas. We're looking forward to it.

I love Christmas with the family but I will not miss buying and decorating a tree, buying groceries for Christmas dinner, cooking Christmas dinner, cleaning the house for guests, cleaning the house after guests.

We will miss our dog though. He loves pulling his treats and toys out of his stocking. 

I have done four Christmas cruises, over more than 30 years, one each on RCCL, Princess, Celebrity and Carnival.  My RCCL experience is VERY stale, they've even changed their name from RCCL to RCI!

Christmas carols have been presented by the singers/ dancers/ crew on Christmas Eve in the atrium or showroom, with lyric sheets for those of us who don't remember the words to The Little Drummer Boy or Good King Wensulas-whoever!!  I don't think I've seen carolling on board other than Christmas Eve.  

Services have been lead by the Cruise Director or the Captain.  I think the leader has been Roman Catholic, but the services were non-denominational.  I don't think there was a minister/clergy on any of these Christmas cruises.  Services have been held on Christmas Eve, except I think the Princess  one was a Christmas Day service.  It probably depends on the itinerary.  When we were in port on Christmas Day  (Celebrity), the ship's service was on X-Mas Eve, and on Christmas Day, my wife and I took a cab to a Church in Ensenada for Mass (Spanish language).   

I agree with pc-load-letter.  No cooking.  No cleaning (house and dinner pots and pans -- plus clean the good china and silver from the dust/tarnish, then clean them after use, and finally put them away for the next holiday.  It is great to be at sea!