Mini Suite Upper Berth

I booked an Alaskan cruise on the Ruby Princess in a mini suite for three people - me, my husband, and my four year old. I see the mini suite has a sofa bed for the third bed and an upper berth for the fourth bed. Are we allowed to use the upper berth for a bed if we only have 3 people? I was hoping to be able to use the sofa for sitting while my child uses the upper berth. 

Relatedly, are bed rails available for the upper berth? 😅

Thanks!

@Cruise20232023  

You can use either bed for the little one, just tell your cabin steward and they will make it up each evening and stow it away each morning. 

For pics of this, go to cruise deck plans dot com and find your ship (or class of ship).

You can ask your cabin steward to set it up that way. Realize that only some of the mini suites on the Ruby have the 4th person upper berth. Also watch for connecting cabins. Deck plans on the Princess.com web site will show this information.

3 hours ago, Cruise20232023 said:

I was hoping to be able to use the sofa for sitting while my child uses the upper berth. 

Thanks!

Headroom over the sofa may be very limited while the upper berth is open.

Thanks everyone! I confirmed on the deck plan that our cabin has an upper berth. She's basically a little monkey, so she won't have any trouble getting up or down (loves climbing and I know she will be super excited to have a bed with a ladder).

I'm pretty short so don't expect headroom on the sofa to be an issue.