Vancouver Embarkation

Sailing on Serenade of the Seas next June. Researching Vancouver embarkation and looks like a challenging process with baggage check, security, check in and then customs! For those with experience, how early do the baggage check lines begin to form? I read they start checking bags at 10am. My strategy is to line up as early as possible and then begin the process ahead of the masses even if we have to wait for a while after clearing all the check points. Thanks for any advice you have!

• Like 1

I’m in Vancouver today for embarkation, and it is pretty intense. I’ve been through Vancouver before for cruises but I guess I keep forgetting the twisty process. 

first, I had no idea where to drop bags. I think we messed up and took them to check in. Luckily there is a spot there for checking bags which I think is sort of a “last chance” deal. I recommend figuring out the correct drop off spot. I recall dropping bags closer to the garage in the past. 

After that, the process is a winding path that could be confusing if I thought about it too much, but going with the flow eventually gets got us where we needed to go. I just turned my mind off and followed the herd, which I think saved my sanity a bit. I’m pretty sure there is a lot of backtracking involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Orsino said:

I’m in Vancouver today for embarkation, and it is pretty intense. I’ve been through Vancouver before for cruises but I guess I keep forgetting the twisty process. 

first, I had no idea where to drop bags. I think we messed up and took them to check in. Luckily there is a spot there for checking bags which I think is sort of a “last chance” deal. I recommend figuring out the correct drop off spot. I recall dropping bags closer to the garage in the past. 

After that, the process is a winding path that could be confusing if I thought about it too much, but going with the flow eventually gets got us where we needed to go. I just turned my mind off and followed the herd, which I think saved my sanity a bit. I’m pretty sure there is a lot of backtracking involved. 

That is exactly what I want to avoid. I'm thinking lining up in the garage area where luggage drop off at 9:30 and stay in front of the crowd all the way through customs. When did you arrive and when did you board? Have a great cruise and thanks for replying during a busy embarkation! 

We arrived around 11am. Lots of people so coming earlier could be beneficial. 

at 9:30am we were at the end of Hornsby close to Canada place and we could see people dragging luggage towards Canada place. So I guess going at 9:30 am isn’t unusual. We opted to take our time in the morning and while there were lots of lines, things moved steadily so I felt progress was always being made. I would have liked more signage at the roadside end of Canada place. We were on board by 11:40, so not too bad. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Orsino said:

We arrived around 11am. Lots of people so coming earlier could be beneficial. 

at 9:30am we were at the end of Hornsby close to Canada place and we could see people dragging luggage towards Canada place. So I guess going at 9:30 am isn’t unusual. We opted to take our time in the morning and while there were lots of lines, things moved steadily so I felt progress was always being made. I would have liked more signage at the roadside end of Canada place. We were on board by 11:40, so not too bad. 

Thanks so much! I might decide to even que up at 9! Have a wonderful cruise to Alaska!

We cruised out of Vancouver in July on Princess. We arrived at noon and were sitting eating lunch by the pool by 1. There were lines but they never stopped moving. You might be better off going later instead of earlier.

• Thanks 1

We cruised on the Celebrity Solstice in July and had a 10:30 arrival time. When our taxi dropped us off underneath Canada Place, there was a porter waiting to take our bags. We left the checked bags with him and then proceeded with our backpacks and carry on (just one) through the terminal.

What others have said is true about it being a long, circuitous walk. At one point, you go up an escalator to check in, and then come back down to go through security and US Customs. Either way, there were three ships in port our day and we found that the signage was abundant and that there were a ton of people around to direct traffic. 

• Thanks 2

Regarding checking in early, although all cruise lines have their check-in desks in Hall C of the Convention Centre, they don't start the procedure at the same time. Boarding is also at the discretion of the cruise line.

For example, in July of this year there were just two ships at the terminal  Our ship, the Queen Elizabeth, had check-in start at 11:00.  Boarding commenced at 12:15. The NCL ship had started check-in and boarding earlier than that.

A few years ago we checked-in for the same Cunard ship a little before 11:00 and were on board at 11:20 - and we weren't the first.

One good aspect of all this is if you are checked in early and have proceeded through security and the US border control there is seating to wait for the boarding call. 

• Thanks 1

The earlier you arrive at Canada Place, the more you will be "swimming against the tide" of 1000's of passengers disembarking. 9:00am will get you nowhere. We are not into crowds and long waits, so we had a nice lunch in Vancouver, and arrived at 1:15 to zero lines.  Yes, it's still a lengthy, up & down process, but we boarded smoothly and more relaxed.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, julia said:

The earlier you arrive at Canada Place, the more you will be "swimming against the tide" of 1000's of passengers disembarking. 9:00am will get you nowhere. We are not into crowds and long waits, so we had a nice lunch in Vancouver, and arrived at 1:15 to zero lines.  Yes, it's still a lengthy, up & down process, but we boarded smoothly and more relaxed.

Yes we always arrive between 1 and 2 and there are zero lines. We now do this in every embarkation port. Have no reason to beat the crowds

• Like 1

We are boarding at Canada Place this Saturday. We will eat lunch nearby & will arrive at about 1:30 PM to hopefully avoid the big lines.

There are 2 other ships embarking that day, but since they are sailing at 4 PM I think most of their passengers will have already made it through the lines by then.

On 9/10/2024 at 11:14 AM, bbqoug said:

We are boarding at Canada Place this Saturday. We will eat lunch nearby & will arrive at about 1:30 PM to hopefully avoid the big lines.

There are 2 other ships embarking that day, but since they are sailing at 4 PM I think most of their passengers will have already made it through the lines by then.

We have done this our last 2 cruises out of Canada Place and just walked through very quick

• Like 1