Price drop before final payment but paid in full

I am paid in full for an upcoming cruise but final payment date  is still a couple of weeks away. I normally

don't pay in full that far ahead but in this case it made sense for us.

My cabin category  had a price drop and was wondering how NCL might handle this.

I don't want to take a chance of messing up my reservation but the amount would be enough to pay for the

hotel and taxi to the port day of cruise. Has anyone done this? Thanks.

First, remember that NCL is "market to fill" (the overall deal) and is not "price to fill" (lower the price to attract bookings). You have to make 100% certain that the deal offered now is the exact same as the deal offered when you booked.

What you see most often is that the reduced cost or bogo airfare is removed as final payment approaches. Without the airfare, the price goes down....and many people are disappointed that they can't get the new price because their price includes the airfare deal and the current one does not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just had the same thing happen.  I called my PCC, she dropped the price and all of my perks stayed exactly the same.  I have double latitude rewards on a 14 night sailing and wanted to be sure I wouldn't lose that because it isn't currently offered on this sailing.  She assured me I wouldn't lose it, and sent me a new confirmation with the new price and all promo codes are exactly the same.  She said if it goes down again, call her and she'll do it again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If there is a price drop and you accept the terms, they will refund the difference.

But as already mentioned, there might be consequences. Contrary to @AVLTravelers experience, I lost my double points on a reprice. And you can also lose CruiseNext double up if you are booking inside or OV and the current promo isn't for any cabin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

NCL marketing strategies are irrelevant to the thread. If you find a lower price with exact benefits and exact stateroom category prior to final payment, you can reprice.

In that scenario, you can reprice regardless of whether the benefits are the same, you just have to be aware of whether you would lose something and whether the that would still be worth it given the price drop.

Also, the OP here has already made final payment, but early, and is asking how, in those specific circumstances, NCL would handle this. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Also, the OP here has already made final payment, but early, and is asking how, in those specific circumstances, NCL would handle this. 

I know.  And my point is who cares how NCL will handle it? The booking and associated costs are fully refundable through the listed final payment date, which has not yet passed. If NCL wont reprice it, just cancel the booking, get your deposit and payments back and then rebook the same voyage at the lower price....at least that is how it has worked for us. The consumer has full control here.

• Like 1

In the older days, NCL would give you 50% of the price drop in OBC. However that is if you booked directly with NCL.  I don't have experience with a TA.  Lately I hear that NCL does not do this anymore.  Anyone can confirm?  I saw a travel agent once say the best solution is not getting money back since its hard to do.  The best solution is try getting an upgrade if its a substantial price drop.  But if there is no place to upgrade and the price drop is small, you may be out of luck.  I have not had experience in this in 10 years so I am curious how this works out. 

4 minutes ago, david_sobe said:

In the older days, NCL would give you 50% of the price drop in OBC. However that is if you booked directly with NCL.  I don't have experience with a TA.  Lately I hear that NCL does not do this anymore.  Anyone can confirm?  I saw a travel agent once say the best solution is not getting money back since its hard to do.  The best solution is try getting an upgrade if its a substantial price drop.  But if there is no place to upgrade and the price drop is small, you may be out of luck.  I have not had experience in this in 10 years so I am curious how this works out. 

NCL switched to FCC compensation a couple of years ago. Originally, 50% but subsequently changed it to 100% of the price difference. Or a paid upgrade (some people have reported a free upgrade, not sure if that's currently available). I don't think it matters if you booked through a TA but I'm not sure all TA's will put in a request. FCC is in your account after you complete your cruise, good for 2 years.

It's to their advantage to do the FCC, since if it's used, that's another booking where they can potentially get additional money. If it's not used, no loss to NCL. In either case, it helps with the perceived sting when people think they overpaid by booking early.

• Thanks 1

Earlier this year I had a few cruises that the price had dropped.  Some I received FCC.  Some I didn’t.  It only worked if the exact cabin type was still available and being sold a a lower price. I

• Like 1

I called NCL and asked for FCC, but by the time I made the call they had sold out of solo studios. I was politely turned down.

Some time later, studios were available again, I called again the rep agreed and passed my case on to the appropriate department and said they would send me an email in a few days acknowledging the FCC which would appear after my cruise.

A couple of days later (before they got back to me), I saw that the price of a balcony had also dropped quite a bit and called again and asked to trade up. Which I did, paying the difference between the current cost of a balcony and what I paid for a solo studio. (Which was less than the minimum bid for the bidding process- so a pretty good bargain IMO)

A couple of days after that, I finally got an email regarding the FCC. It was rejected, stating that the price hadn't gone down. Which wasn't true in the case of the solo studios at the moment I called about it, but I assume they were actually looking at my new balcony reservation. That's fine, I'd rather have a cheap balcony now than FCC for the future. 

All of which is to say, yes you can get FCC after final payment but you need to be a little lucky with the timing. Upgrading is also possible and might be a better choice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Menocchio said:

Upgrading is also possible and might be a better choice. 

Well said and agree. If you can get a paid upgrade for a fair price, it is a much simpler process. Glad it worked out.

I moved a cruise deposit 2 days ago to another cruise and now I see the price has dropped on the new cruise.  Not yet paid in full.  Will they honour the new price if I call them?  I'm in Europe so cannot get my deposit back if I cancel.

1 hour ago, jennjess said:

I moved a cruise deposit 2 days ago to another cruise and now I see the price has dropped on the new cruise.  Not yet paid in full.  Will they honour the new price if I call them?  I'm in Europe so cannot get my deposit back if I cancel.

In my experience (I'm also in Europe), yes. An administration fee of €50 is added and if you have used a promo like half price FAS or double points you will lose it if the promo isn't running at the time of repricing.

1 hour ago, Asawi said:

In my experience (I'm also in Europe), yes. An administration fee of €50 is added and if you have used a promo like half price FAS or double points you will lose it if the promo isn't running at the time of repricing.

I did call about it but they will not honour the price drop.  I can get a higher priced cabin (I don't want that) or they are talking about admin charges for the change. I think I might just cancel and rebook.  I'll lose the deposit but save myself money overall.

Has anyone heard of charging admin charges, not the 50 per person change fee, but 300 plus admin charge?  Can't see anything about it in the NCL FAQs.

1 minute ago, jennjess said:

Has anyone heard of charging admin charges, not the 50 per person change fee, but 300 plus admin charge?  Can't see anything about it in the NCL FAQs.

300? Wow! That's a lot! I do recall my PCC telling me once that there was no point in doing the price drop thing on my room even though it had come down a lot. It wouldn't save me anything. I thought it was because of different promos, but maybe that fee was involved. Instead he did a slight room upgrade and because of price drop I got some money back (and a better room). I have not been able to find any documentation on policies which I find frustrating. Also I don't find too many Europeans reporting their experiences. I do however have a good PCC that had been very helpful.

1 minute ago, Asawi said:

300? Wow! That's a lot! I do recall my PCC telling me once that there was no point in doing the price drop thing on my room even though it had come down a lot. It wouldn't save me anything. I thought it was because of different promos, but maybe that fee was involved. Instead he did a slight room upgrade and because of price drop I got some money back (and a better room). I have not been able to find any documentation on policies which I find frustrating. Also I don't find too many Europeans reporting their experiences. I do however have a good PCC that had been very helpful.

I also can find nothing in the FAQ's about an admin charge.  Something new?  Not going to pay it that's for sure.

Just now, jennjess said:

I also can find nothing in the FAQ's about an admin charge.  Something new?  Not going to pay it that's for sure.

I'd rather pay the 50 per person downgrade fee.

5 hours ago, jennjess said:

I did call about it but they will not honour the price drop.  I can get a higher priced cabin (I don't want that) or they are talking about admin charges for the change. I think I might just cancel and rebook.  I'll lose the deposit but save myself money overall.

Most posters are in the US and we have very different rules than Europeans. @Asawi is probably one of the best sources for information for you. 

2 hours ago, Peachypooh said:

Following up to add I did get a cash refund. It only took 5 days to appear on my credit card.

That’s quick for your refund!

• Like 1