Any update on Labadee?

IDL

Been to Labadee several times and enjoyed it. However, even if Haiti goes back to "normal" it will not be good. I have a friend with property in Dominican Republic who has told me, "no matter how bad you think Haiti is, it's worse". I am amazed that DR is able to keep the Haitian problems out of DR. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 8:52 AM, 39august said:

I was very happy with our switch to Grand Turk for a Jan. cruise. Would be sorry for it to be switched back, tho' I like Labadee. But been there lots and never been to Grand Turk before. 

Probably on the same cruise and I feel the same.  Definitely want to see Grand Turk.  I've cruised the Caribbean dozens of times but that is one island I have yet to see.

Rumor has it RCI will resume going to Labadee next month.  Apparently RCI does not value the safety of their passengers compared to Celebrity. Apparently the US State Department guidance to not travel to Haiti is irrelevant to RCI. RCI is apparently more concerned with the revenue generated at Labadee than the safety of their passengers. 

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Rumor has it RCI will resume going to Labadee next month.  Apparently RCI does not value the safety of their passengers compared to Celebrity. Apparently the US State Department guidance to not travel to Haiti is irrelevant to RCI. RCI is apparently more concerned with the revenue generated at Labadee than the safety of their passengers. 

They are the same company.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Not true. RCI and Celebrity are two separate companies. They are both owned by Royal Caribbean Group, but they are still two separate companies. 

... whose presidents both report to the same Board of Directors, who, if they had concerns one way or the other, would be in a position to make this decision for both.

Just now, canderson said:

... whose presidents both report to the same Board of Directors, who, if they had concerns one way or the other, would be in a position to make this decision for both.

Your comment would make sense except for RCI is supposedly going to resume going to Labadee in October while Celebrity has canceled all ships going to Labadee until April 2025. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Your comment would make sense except for RCI is supposedly going to resume going to Labadee in October while Celebrity has canceled all ships going to Labadee until April 2025. 

Seems very strange RC and Celebrity would have a different risk assessment and protocol.   Will be interesting to see how it actually plays out. 

Just now, IDL said:

Seems very strange RC and Celebrity would have a different risk assessment and protocol.   Will be interesting to see how it actually plays out. 

My guess is RCG values Celebrity passengers more. 😎. In all seriousness, it is likely a lot easier to replace RCI passengers than Celebrity passengers if something ever happened. 

2 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

No, my comment still makes perfect sense.  It's the inconsistency in direction from the BOD on this issue that doesn't make sense, and is what I was pointing out.

I don't know about safety. Maybe they trust their fences and security and that the fighting is far enough away. I can't say how correct that all is.

But it just seems like it's in bad taste. There's a civil war. There is no central government. People are dying and killing. And you want me to go there for a vacation? For a beach and zipline. 

I'm not going to be making any friends at the Marxist bookstore talking about cruises, but c'mon. If I tried to enjoy myself at Labadee I'd feel like I should be wearing a tophat, monocle, and a sash that reads "Uncaring American Capitalist". 

I recognize that the people who work there would really appreciate the money so this isn't so simple. But personally vacationing in a failed state just seems viscerally wrong. I can at least pretend that everything is peachy even in places as troubled as Mexico, Jamaica, or the United States, but I have my limits. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kordy said:

What makes Labadee a good cruise stop anyway?  Are there not way better options in the Caribbean for a stop?

But only a couple that RCLH owns outright. Anywhere else, the passengers might spend money that doesn't flow back to them. 

2 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

But only a couple that RCLH owns outright. Anywhere else, the passengers might spend money that doesn't flow back to them. 

Ah I see, so basically Labadee is one of the most PROFITABLE stops for the cruise company?  haha... it's like the old saying "if you want to know the true reason, just follow the money" ... 

Just now, Kordy said:

Ah I see, so basically Labadee is one of the most PROFITABLE stops for the cruise company?  haha... it's like the old saying "if you want to know the true reason, just follow the money" ... 

If you want to be more charitable, it's also a place that RCL can do quality control on. You won't get scammed by a taxi driver or pickpocketed there. There's stuff to do that's cheaper and easier to access than the shore excursions the cruise offers, and more vetted for quality and safety than anything a third party might offer. It's a direct extension of the cruise ship, and many people like these places. 

I think the trend in cruising for the foreseeable future is going to be on bigger and bigger ships and itineraries focuses around private islands and private ports like Labadee that can accommodate them, and that the cruise lines control, more directly profit from, and can (try to) insulate from any local problems like crime or a complete collapse of government and accompanying civil violence.