How/when can you obtain a check in time on Princess?

HM129

I am ocean ready on the app and have completed the medallion ordering process.  However, even though I am less than 60 days to my cruise, I don't see any information about obtaining a check in time and whether it's available now or at a later date.  Can someone fill me on on the when and how of obtaining it?  Has the process changed with the changes in the app?

8 minutes ago, HM129 said:

I am ocean ready on the app and have completed the medallion ordering process.  However, even though I am less than 60 days to my cruise, I don't see any information about obtaining a check in time and whether it's available now or at a later date.  Can someone fill me on on the when and how of obtaining it?  Has the process changed with the changes in the app?

Princess does not use check-in times.  Just show up at the terminal when you are ready to board.  Guests in Suites and those who have either Elite or Platinum loyalty credentials will hardly have time to sit down, as they will be ushered onto the ship within minutes of the start of the check-in process.  For everyone else, they will be shown a seat in a waiting area and then told when they can board and that happens on a first-come-first on board basis.  About a day or so before your cruise, your app will start to show a QR Code that will be scanned upon check-in.  That is your boarding pass.  Nothing to print.

Edited by JimmyVWine
  • Like 2

They no longer assign times. You didn't say where your departing from, but if the ship you are going on arrives to your departure port early morning then you should be able to board starting boarding around 10:30-11:00am and I believe you must be onboard about 2 hours before departure.

• Like 1

There are no assigned check in times. At most ports and for most cruises check in begins at around 9:30am. Boarding usually begins around 11am. Passengers should be checked in by 90 minutes before sailing time.

What port are you sailing from and what is your sailing time?

• Like 1

I wondered same thing. I’ve been cruising CCL exclusively past 18 years. I always have to reserve a time. I feel like a newbie! I’m cruising from Red Hook 9/14. Enchanted Princess. I live about 45 minutes--an hour away so plan to arrive at 10:30???? 

16 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

I wondered same thing. I’ve been cruising CCL exclusively past 18 years. I always have to reserve a time. I feel like a newbie! I’m cruising from Red Hook 9/14. Enchanted Princess. I live about 45 minutes--an hour away so plan to arrive at 10:30???? 

10:30 is a good time. There will be crowds at that time. Some people like to avoid crowds. For me the crowds never bother me, I just like to be on board. General boarding should begin around 11am. Once it begins it goes quickly. Your cabin may not be ready until around 1pm. Lunch will be served in one of the DRs, from noon until 1:30. You can also find lunch at the World Fresh Market Place buffet on the Lido deck. The Salty Dog Grill, & Slices Pizza are also there by the pool. On deck 5 in the Piazza you will find the International Cafe. It's another option for a light lunch. There are no charges for these venues. Of course, adult beverages will be available almost everywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We never arrive before 1 pm to avoid the crowds and we walk right on to our cabin.

Same here. About 10 days before sailing you should have a boarding pass on your app which give the time period to board but there will be no separate times. As a rule the last boarding is usually 90 minutes before sailing from a US port

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the responses.  I'm used to getting a boarding time, even though most people ignored them and Princess never really enforced it.  I'm leaving on the Discovery Princess from Los Angeles in October, with another cruise in May from Southampton.  I'm elite with Princess if that matters.

8 minutes ago, HM129 said:

Thanks for all the responses.  I'm used to getting a boarding time, even though most people ignored them and Princess never really enforced it.  I'm leaving on the Discovery Princess from Los Angeles in October, with another cruise in May from Southampton.  I'm elite with Princess if that matters.

I agree with all the above posts -- "boarding" (not check-in) usually starts around 11 AM.

If you really wish to see a boarding time, a Boarding Pass (not needed for boarding) becomes available on the APP about 10 days before sail date and it gives a boarding time -- for my Sep 14 cruise the Pass says Boarding 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all the info! So I  have to take my carry on until cabins are open? I’m diamond on CCL and we’re allowed to drop carry on bag in our cabin as soon as we board. If I get on early I can explore the ship! 

3 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Thanks for all the info! So I  have to take my carry on until cabins are open? I’m diamond on CCL and we’re allowed to drop carry on bag in our cabin as soon as we board. If I get on early I can explore the ship! 

You might be able to go to your cabin. They may or may not have the fire doors closed. Some passengers just open the fire doors and head to their cabin. You can carry your carry on around with you, or there probably will be a location to check and hold them. Access to cabins is not determined by loyalty level. If you are in a full suite there is a separate DR.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, skynight said:

You might be able to go to your cabin. They may or may not have the fire doors closed. Some passengers just open the fire doors and head to their cabin. You can carry your carry on around with you, or there probably will be a location to check and hold them. Access to cabins is not determined by loyalty level. If you are in a full suite there is a separate DR.

Great! I’ll try to get to cabin. If I can’t no problem. I know how hard the crew work and don’t want to get in the way or be a bother! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

We don’t usually have carryons   Just put luggage tags on everything. They always show up in the cabin 65 cruises and counting

• Like 1

1 hour ago, memoak said:

We don’t usually have carryons   Just put luggage tags on everything. They always show up in the cabin 65 cruises and counting

Congrats! I think I’m at about 48 but I’ll try to catch up to you!  I’ve never had a problem with luggage either-knock wood-but I’ll carry my wine, soda, meds and a few essentials on. 😊😉

On 9/5/2024 at 8:24 PM, sultan_sfo said:

I agree with all the above posts -- "boarding" (not check-in) usually starts around 11 AM.

If you really wish to see a boarding time, a Boarding Pass (not needed for boarding) becomes available on the APP about 10 days before sail date and it gives a boarding time -- for my Sep 14 cruise the Pass says Boarding 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM.

That's interesting. I'm cruising on 14th Barcelona sun Princess & there's no time on my app just a qr code !

10 hours ago, seahorse001 said:

That's interesting. I'm cruising on 14th Barcelona sun Princess & there's no time on my app just a qr code !

We are also boarding BCN on 14th.

Actually, there is a line saying "check-in time" (not boarding) on the pass. Sometimes I have to click on that for the time to appear. I will try to post an image later today. I use an I-Pad  for the App.

Edited by sultan_sfo

We like to get on as soon as they start boarding. We arrive at 10:30 and board by 11:00, drop our luggage ( filled with medicine ) at our cabin and go to eat in the MDR which is a peaceful lovely way to start our cruise. The medallion has made everything so easy.

23 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

We like to get on as soon as they start boarding. We arrive at 10:30 and board by 11:00, drop our luggage ( filled with medicine ) at our cabin and go to eat in the MDR which is a peaceful lovely way to start our cruise. The medallion has made everything so easy.

That’s what I had planned to do. Lady on chat said 12:30. I just got app said  boarding 10:30-12:30. I’m getting there at 10:30.  If I have to wait at least I’m there. You can drop carry ons to your cabin before they’re open? 

3 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

That’s what I had planned to do. Lady on chat said 12:30. I just got app said  boarding 10:30-12:30. I’m getting there at 10:30.  If I have to wait at least I’m there. You can drop carry ons to your cabin before they’re open? 

I have had mixed luck with dropping carry-ons off in the cabin.  A couple of times, the fire doors were open and I was able to access the cabin, but both times, it was evident that the final touches of getting the cabin ready were not completed.  I tucked the bag away in a corner of the closet and slipped back out, feeling guilty....   The other times, the fire doors in the elevator lobby have been closed, so access wasn't possible.  It was no big deal to roll my carry-on along with me to lunch or wherever. Next cruise, I probably won't even bother to check and will just wait for the announcement.

• Thanks 1

Yes, in recent years we find the whole ship seems to board earlier and fire doors are not closed. Even if the stateroom isn’t completely finished we do leave our luggage tucked away. But we generally stay in suites so perhaps they are done first. 

16 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

I don’t have the app yet. I just live chatted with Princess about something and she said my boarding time-9/14 from Red Hook on Enchanted is 12:30. Isn’t this kind of late??? 

It's just a boiler plate response. The information I posted in post #6 reflects what you wanted. It is accurate according to my experience with almost 50 Princess cruises.

Check in will probably open around 9:30 to 10:00. Boarding will begin around 10:30 to 11:00 with priority boarders then all others. Once boarding begins it goes quickly. The process is just a matter of walking through the gangplank and scanning your medallion. It's as quick as the slowest person/group walks. In my experience passing through security is the slowest link in the process. That is done as you enter the terminal, not as you board.   

14 minutes ago, skynight said:

It's just a boiler plate response. The information I posted in post #6 reflects what you wanted. It is accurate according to my experience with almost 50 Princess cruises.

Check in will probably open around 9:30 to 10:00. Boarding will begin around 10:30 to 11:00 with priority boarders then all others. Once boarding begins it goes quickly. The process is just a matter of walking through the gangplank and scanning your medallion. It's as quick as the slowest person/group walks. In my experience passing through security is the slowest link in the process. That is done as you enter the terminal, not as you board.   

Thank you. I usually cruise from Manhattan Carnival terminal. It’s a bit different with “assigned” check in times. Since I’m Diamond I always pick the first group and am normally one of the first on the ship. 👏😉😋😀 Just want to get all my facts straight before I get there! I’m a solo cruiser. CCL started drug sniffing dogs also before boarding. Appreciate the info!