Looks like NCL isn't alone in its decline

11 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

It is very simple. With good service and cheap prices you will win the competition. The long term goal is to weaken or even destroy the competitors. The fewer competitors you have the easier it will be to make money.

MSC earns billions and billions with their freight business,so they don`t care whether they don`t make big profits with their cruise line. In Europe all their competitors (mainly Costa + AIDA, and maybe RCL a bit) don`t have this option.

Well said, MSC has continued to disrupt the traditional North American cruise line market. They started out in Florida, expanded to NYC, and are next heading straight to Galveston.

2 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

Well, based upon current NCL bookings, if this is their strategy it doesn't appear to be working.

Despite higher bookings and higher prices, yada yada yada, none of NCLHs strategies have resulted on significant returns for their shareholders. That is too bad.

19 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Despite higher bookings and higher prices, yada yada yada, none of NCLHs strategies have resulted on significant returns for their shareholders. That is too bad.

Reducing a huge debt load will certainly benefit the shareholders long term.  Equity investing is a long term strategy unless you are one of those know-it-all day traders.  They don't last very long....

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

If you are unhappy with the shareholder credit or the ROI or…whatever, why are you are a shareholder? 

Not unhappy with shareholder credit. Holding out hope for a increase to share price. The rule of thumb is buy low; sell high. Not sell low...

3 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Since when has NCL ever had significant returns for shareholders? Since they don't give dividends, the only way to get a return is to use the shareholder credit or sell your stock. Otherwise, it just sits in your portfolio. At least that's my perspective.

19 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Gee thanks for the tip. I’ll have to write that one down. 

You are most welcome. Yes, you might keep it close when you are tempted to ask people why they are holding shares while the stock is at record lows.

24 minutes ago, julig22 said:

Since when has NCL ever had significant returns for shareholders? Since they don't give dividends, the only way to get a return is to use the shareholder credit or sell your stock. Otherwise, it just sits in your portfolio. At least that's my perspective.

Perspective is irrelevant. If you bot shares in 2016 and sold in 2018, you were richly rewarded. Fact.

45 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

Perspective is irrelevant. If you bot shares in 2016 and sold in 2018, you were richly rewarded. Fact.

bot (noun)
1. an autonomous program on the internet or another network that can interact with systems or users.
2. (chiefly in science fiction) a robot.

NCLH was at $55.29 at the end of March 2016. NCLH was at $52.48 at the end of March 2018. Not much richly in that reward.

Given that the post you replied to specifically mentioned selling stock, this isn't the own you think it is. Fact.

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

The rule of thumb is buy low; sell high. Not sell low...

55 minutes ago, luv2kroooz said:

You are most welcome. Yes, you might keep it close when you are tempted to ask people why they are holding shares while the stock is at record lows.

Doesn't the rule of thumb explain why someone would hold shares at record lows?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SeaShark said:

Doesn't the rule of thumb explain why someone would hold shares at record lows?

People owning 100 shares of NCLH here primarily for the lucrative shareholder OBC perk is not "real" investing.  It amazes me how many people try to connect the two, and then go on and on about how "shares of xxx cruise line are kicking the butt of NCLH."  If you consider 100 shares of itchy-and-scratchy stock an "investment," you must have a VERY small retirement portfolio.  It's a goof!!  It's fun!!  It helps make my fun cruise even more fun!!  As an experienced/knowledgeable/intelligent/responsible/wise🦉...... investor (I'm just throwing up clay pigeons here folks for the smart kids to shoot at), I know that nobody in their right mind (without insider info or a market-disrupting net worth) invests in individual stocks expecting to "beat" everybody else in the market.  Yet, we have what we have here.🤣

disclaimer: I recently found that cool owl emoticon and am looking for places to use it

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

People owning 100 shares of NCLH here primarily for the lucrative shareholder OBC perk is not "real" investing.  It amazes me how many people try to connect the two, and then go on and on about how "shares of xxx cruise line are kicking the butt of NCLH."  If you consider 100 shares of itchy-and-scratchy stock an "investment," you must have a VERY small retirement portfolio.  It's a goof!!  It's fun!!  It helps make my fun cruise even more fun!!  As an experienced/knowledgeable/intelligent/responsible/wise🦉...... investor (I'm just throwing up clay pigeons here folks for the smart kids to shoot at), I know that nobody in their right mind (without insider info or a market-disrupting net worth) invests in individual stocks expecting to "beat" everybody else in the market.  Yet, we have what we have here.🤣

disclaimer: I recently found that cool owl emoticon and am looking for places to use it

I don’t even hold my NCLH shares in

my primary trading account. 

6 hours ago, SeaShark said:

NCLH was at $55.29 at the end of March 2016. NCLH was at $52.48 at the end of March 2018. Not much richly in that reward.

Cruisecritic members are free to do their own historical research. If they do, they'll quickly get my point. Alternatively, you can cite whatever facts fit the narrative you want to push and play gotcha games. No interest in going there. Peace and love.

5 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

So strange, you make an erroneous conclusion in the first sentence about people owning 100 shares and then go on and on and on with some kind of lecture about what is and isn't investing. That failed miserably, by the way.

Get your facts straight and then share an educated opinion with the community. Your comments will make so much more sense to the reader.

Edited by luv2kroooz

9 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Not unhappy with shareholder credit. Holding out hope for a increase to share price. The rule of thumb is buy low; sell high. Not sell low...

Except when selling in order to take a tax loss.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

Except when selling in order to take a tax loss.

Or to free up capital to invest in something else. Or if you expect the stock to go down even further.

Or since we are talking 100 shares, having the shares taken away as a result of a sold option call.

Edited by Distinctive-Destinations

14 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Well said, MSC has continued to disrupt the traditional North American cruise line market. They started out in Florida, expanded to NYC, and are next heading straight to Galveston.

I believe MSC will Tier match for Lattitude members?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, floridafish said:

I believe MSC will Tier match for Lattitude members?

Correct. Despite being Diamond on Carnival lines and Sapphire on NCL, we just havent pulled the trigger on MSC yet. Someday though....

Gotta say, anyone coming here for investment advice really shouldn't be trading stocks, in any form or fashion.

Regarding MSC....I did a couple of cruises with them based on their matching my status to Diamond.  And, when they were trying to get a foothold in North America they had some really good fares.

I haven't sailed them in a while.  They attempted to shaft me on a fare, which I booked through their site.  Had a cabin, fare fully paid, etc.  Only for them to come back to me after the fact stating the fare was a mistake and tried to charge my credit card for the delta without informing me.  Figured it was a simple error and talked to them about it.  They wouldn't budge, even though the error was theirs.

In short, they had a Yacht Club Interior fare on a Balcony Yacht Club cabin, which I snagged.  If they had said "hey....we bad....let us give you come OBC to make up for the error", I probably would have been OK with it.  Instead...NADA...not even an apology.  

Had to get AMEX involved to reverse the charges.  Really bad taste.

Since, their fares have pretty much been the same as NCL, Carnival, Celebrity, etc.

Since, I've had friends sail them and reported they were one and done with them....for a variety of reasons...none good.

They keep renewing my status at Diamond even though I haven't sailed them in years.  Probably won't.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Cruisecritic members are free to do their own historical research. If they do, they'll quickly get my point. Alternatively, you can cite whatever facts fit the narrative you want to push and play gotcha games. No interest in going there. Peace and love.

Can't say I blame you, but the numbers are what the numbers are. One thing about numbers is that they don't lie.

• Haha 1