Cunard Insights Lectures - great speakers?

OneForTheQueens

I'm heading out on Queen Anne soon and I see that Cunard have a lecture series called "Insights" on their ships, with celebrities and 'normal' people alike. So, I am curious, has anyone seen any really good talks on board? Are they worth going to on a quiet day?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, OneForTheQueens said:

Are they worth going to on a quiet day?

Always, and I'm always surprised by really enjoying the speakers who I wasn't expecting to like. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, rakkor said:

Always, and I'm always surprised by really enjoying the speakers who I wasn't expecting to like. 

Any in particular that stick in your mind? 

Are you likely to see the same people on multiple ships if your cruise frequently? 

1 hour ago, OneForTheQueens said:

Any in particular that stick in your mind? 

Canadian Astronauts, American Astronauts, Nephew of the Violinist on the Titanic, Cinema Stars, Chefs, British TV Stars, Travel Experts, Ship/Marine Experts, so many more to name.

They are about 45 minutes in length. Some will be two parts.  

• Like 2

Some of the most interesting, for me, are the Bletchley Park curators and their talks on  Enigma and Code Breaking, The most surprisingly interesting was a series on Architectural History, not a subject I'd expect to enjoy. To add to @BklynBoy8's list..... ex police officers, pilots of various flavours, wildlife experts, astronomers, Phil Holt and his Red Arrows talks are good values but I have seen him many times now so exhausted his repertoire.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OneForTheQueens said:

I'm heading out on Queen Anne soon and I see that Cunard have a lecture series called "Insights" on their ships, with celebrities and 'normal' people alike. So, I am curious, has anyone seen any really good talks on board? Are they worth going to on a quiet day?

Generally, yes, but it does depend on your interests.  Typically there is someone covering a history topic, someone covering politics or current affairs, someone with a maritime topic, and someone talking about film or fashion or dancing or celebrities.  But it does vary by cruise - having been impressed by my first few crossings, on my latest none of the speakers really appealed, but that was down to my interests rather than the quality of the talks.  If you can’t catch them live, the talks are repeated on a loop on one of the ship’s TV channels.  If there’s a topic you’re not sure you are that interested in, that’s often a good way to catch the lecture and decide if you want to hear more, since in your cabin you can multi-task with just one ear on the lecture.

Edited by IB2
  • Like 1

I must admit that the convenience of having the Lectures repeated on the On Board Cabin/Suite televisions for review is available. But seeing this way is not the same as in person.

Viewing it in Cabin/Suite may have distractions that interrupt the watching. Also I personally don't know many passengers on board that would remain in the cabin for about 45 minutes watch with all the other activities available.

IOHO,,,,,,Personal viewing them in person does have it's benefit. 

• Like 1

Along with those already mentioned, we have had great guest lectures from Jenny Bond, Jeffrey Archer and Martin Bell. We really enjoy learning something new so always worth going.

1 hour ago, BklynBoy8 said:

I must admit that the convenience of having the Lectures repeated on the On Board Cabin/Suite televisions for review is available. But seeing this way is not the same as in person.

Viewing it in Cabin/Suite may have distractions that interrupt the watching. Also I personally don't know many passengers on board that would remain in the cabin for about 45 minutes watch with all the other activities available.

IOHO,,,,,,Personal viewing them in person does have it's benefit. 

We don't like sitting in a crowded theatre now [coughs, colds, sneezles and diseazles]  so prefer to watch insight lectures on catch up in the cabin once they are loaded up.

Not quite sure what distractions there'll be in the cabin unless it's taking the time to pour a glass of wine late afternoon or make an instant coffee so we are quite happy to find the time required to watch any speaker on screen in the cabin.

It also has the advantage of turning off the screen if we don't find the lecture of interest.

edit

Must add this is on Queen Anne. Wasn't aware lectures were onscreen on QV.

Edited by Victoria2

We had Midge Ure the UK pop star from the 80's last year, he did two talks the 1st was quite full but the 2nd was a full house, this year on QE we had a UK polar explorer and a Canadian volcano explorer, they where both very interesting, we've just got off QA and only managed to catch one, she was good but not quite my cup of tea.

Both myself and wife look forward to the insight talks as a unique part of Cunard, long my they continue !!!! 

2 hours ago, ascot2012 said:

We've just got off QA and only managed to catch one, she was good but not quite my cup of tea.

True not all presentations will be of interest to all but some we have attended were almost standing room only. It's up to the presenter and how they address the topic and relay it to the attendees.

Two sailings ago as I mentioned above we had a Canadian Astronaut and Nephew of one of the Violinist on the Titanic. Each was presented in two parts. There were equal to more attendees in the Illuminations Theater that returned. There was even a post Q&A session setup in Carinthia Lounge passengers wanted to continue on the subject - Violinist on the Titanic

So it depended on the subject and the interest the passengers had. A subject they may personally follow pre sailing. 

Edited by BklynBoy8

We always enjoy the lectures, sometimes the topic seems uninteresting to us, but they usually surprise us. We also enjoy the art talks, they were particularly good on QA Sam Cox is very knowledgeable and an excellent speaker.

• Like 1

On QV last month they were mostly excellent, and only one being truly awful. The guy who ran the art gallery did a few really interesting lectures, a professor from UCL talking space, and there was Steve King doing his music talks, which were superb. 

Very little doesn’t interest me and I can only remember one being  awful - a talk on wellness and heathy eating. Didn’t help she had spelling and grammar mistakes on her slides which was a no no for me what ever the topic was. 

I have listened to some very interesting lecturers on Queen Mary 2.  Dr Steven Payne was involved in the designing of QM2 and spoke about that process.  There also was  a retired British police commissioner and he spoke on some of the cases he solved, You will be surprised how much you will enjoy them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bnuckols said:

Is there a list of expected speakers?

On your My Cunard site, you’ll see them. But the speakers can change from announced , as we have experienced. Most of the Insight speakers are very interesting and a big part of sailing on Cunard. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bnuckols said:

They use to post them in distance past on the Cunard website which was very valuable. 

Making one looking more excited to board.

• Like 1

Some of the speakers get called in at very short notice, sometimes under 3 days from departure. Hence it's really only the Daily Programme where you get to find out what's on. I've never had a really bad Insight, just one mediocre event and loads of really good lecturers.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bnuckols said:

I've had success contacting Cunard via Social Media about speakers aboard specific itineraries six weeks out. All caveated with "may change". Worth sending a message to ask them.

• Thanks 1

I've had one bad speaker (my travelling companion nodded off during both of the talks we attended!) and one mediocre speaker (just read from their script) but the others have all been excellent.

I particularly enjoy Maureen Reynolds, a Cunard employee of many decades standing, who talks about her history with the line and what it was like for passengers and crew back in the day.

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Maureen Reynolds, or Maureen Ryan,  Clewgarnet ?

Victoria 2 u r right Ryan...Lovely Hostess like Elaine MacKay I'm still in contact with..

Edited by BklynBoy8

Possibly worth mentioning that there are more astronomy-themed speakers than you might expect, probably because Cunard has a long partnership with the Royal Astronomical Society.  (Fellows of the RAS can apply to be speakers through a somewhat different process than a typical "insights" lecturer.)