Fridge in stateroom on Crown Princess

Muffinz

Does anyone know if the small fridge in the stateroom is suitable for keeping insulin in?

I'm type 2 diabetic and take insulin daily and my spare vials need to be in the fridge

also would Princess have a sharps container I can request for the used needles and can you request an extra pillow or extra hangers for the wardrobe?

if so can we request them through the app or website in advance, or do we have to wait until we board?

any advice would be appreciated

Just off the Crown and our balcony stateroom had a small fridge that kept our drinks fairly cold, so it should work for insulin.  Can't answer your question about the sharps container but I'm sure if you email guest services they can provide that info for you.  My wife needs distilled water for her CPAP and we always request it through the guest services email....and they supply it at no charge.

11 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

Does anyone know if the small fridge in the stateroom is suitable for keeping insulin in?

I'm type 2 diabetic and take insulin daily and my spare vials need to be in the fridge

also would Princess have a sharps container I can request for the used needles and can you request an extra pillow or extra hangers for the wardrobe?

if so can we request them through the app or website in advance, or do we have to wait until we board?

any advice would be appreciated

Ask your steward for the sharps container.  You can also request extra towels, pillows and hangers.  He/She will usually stop by and introduce themselves the first day.  Ask for what you need then.  I think some things can be ordered on the app but asking the steward is easier.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/faq/pre-cruise

IMG_1465.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mtnesterz said:

The cabin fridges are set to 45F, or 7C. A quick look online says this is within acceptable range.

thanks for that - much appreciated  🙂

One tip for the fridge - roll up a washcloth and stick it between the fridge door and the cabinet door so the cabinet door is propped open.  This will ensure a cooler, consistent temperature.   

• Like 1

Once on board ask your cabin steward for extra hangers and pillow if you require them. There are plenty of hangers.

Regarding the fridge. If you are in a balcony cabin the fridge is adjacent to the balcony window & wall. The fridge's exhaust vents into this small space. There is a small clearance between the wall and the fridge where the balcony window drapery hangs. Make certain the drape is not blocking the vent. This will improve the operation of the fridge. The cabin steward also places a bucket of ice in the fridge each day. You may be able to place your bottles in the ice in the fridge. This would provide extra safety. 

25 minutes ago, skynight said:

The cabin steward also places a bucket of ice in the fridge each day. You may be able to place your bottles in the ice in the fridge. This would provide extra safety. 

Water at freezing temperature, 32F, is below recommended to store insulin.

Edited by mtnesterz

My husband is type 2. We've cruised on the Crown 2 times, 28 days & 27 days, & several other Princess ships.The fridge is always cold enough for his insulin. We ask our steward for sharps disposal container when they introduce themselves. If we somehow miss seeing the steward on boarding day I leave a note on the desk requesting the container. Have a great cruise. 😊

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 1965 said:

My husband is type 2. We've cruised on the Crown 2 times, 28 days & 27 days, & several other Princess ships.The fridge is always cold enough for his insulin. We ask our steward for sharps disposal container when they introduce themselves. If we somehow miss seeing the steward on boarding day I leave a note on the desk requesting the container. Have a great cruise. 😊

thanks for that - much appreciated

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mtnesterz said:

Water at freezing temperature, 32F, is below recommended to store insulin.

Placing a bucket of ice in the fridge does not lower the ambient temperature of the interior of the fridge to 32F.  More like 41-42.  It is just a way to lower the temperature a bit below what is usually achieved.  

It is a "cooler", not a refrigerator as I was informed by the tech that came by to look at mine as I didn't think that it was chilling the hot items for my mini-bar fast enough over 4 hours.

12 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Placing a bucket of ice in the fridge does not lower the ambient temperature of the interior of the fridge to 32F.  More like 41-42.  It is just a way to lower the temperature a bit below what is usually achieved.  

Re-read what Skynight wrote.  "You may be able to place your bottles in the ice in the fridge." I didn't comment on changing the temp because it is not necessary. The set temperature of the fridge is within the recommended range for the medication. Icing it is not.

• Like 1

Absorption chillers like these are lousy at removing heat from the compartment.  They’re great at keeping pre-chilled things cold.  If they’re in an open space with good airflow, they’ll cool to a maximum of 40F below ambient temperature.  The cabinet temp is usually well over ambient if you don’t crack the outer door some.  Subtract 40F from the enclosure temp and you’ll have an idea of what the in-chiller temp is. 

Keeping the ice bucket in does help lower the temp and recover from swings after the door is opened.  If you’re replacing cold water bottles with ambient ones and thus raising the temperature in the chiller, you need to melt 125 grams of ice to cool off that 500mL water. That’s a lot more cooling capacity than the tiny  absorption units have to spare after overcoming the gap between the desired inside and ambient temperatures.