BYOB on NCL

Not sure if y'all know about this, but NCL allows you to bring your own wine bottles on board when you initially check in. You can consume in the room or bring them to dinner.  If you have Free at Sea there is no corkage charge. $15 otherwise. This does NOT apply to anything purchased in port.

Planning on bringing a few special bottles when we sail on Prima this Sunday.

Full details here: Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com)

Cheers!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The ability to bring unlimited wine onboard has not changed in years. Recently, they started waiving the corkage if you have a drinks package.

This is wine only. No sprits, beer, sodas, or waters of any kind. 

You must hand carry the wine and have it checked after you pass through security in the terminal. If you check the wine in your luggage, your bag will be confiscated and you will spend time on embarkation night standing in a [long] line at security along with others who have contraband to have your bag searched. 

Personally, with a drinks package, you can drink wine from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep for free. I am not about to haul bottles around with me on embarkation day for hours until my room is ready. I can drink my “special” wine at home after getting my fill of free drinks on the cruise. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Matt Sands said:

Not sure if y'all know about this, but NCL allows you to bring your own wine bottles on board when you initially check in. You can consume in the room or bring them to dinner.  If you have Free at Sea there is no corkage charge. $15 otherwise. This does NOT apply to anything purchased in port.

Planning on bringing a few special bottles when we sail on Prima this Sunday.

Full details here: Frequently Asked Questions (ncl.com)

Cheers!

Yes, that's pretty much common knowledge.  🙂

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

We bought two bottles of Limoncello in Rome to take home as gifts prior to embarking.

We carried both bottles onto the ship and nobody said a word.

Maybe they thought it was wine...maybe the port people doing the screening were new (or didn't care). But we did it.

YMMV

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

We bought two bottles of Limoncello in Rome to take home as gifts prior to embarking.

We carried both bottles onto the ship and nobody said a word.

Maybe they thought it was wine...maybe the port people doing the screening were new (or didn't care). But we did it.

YMMV

The implementation of these rules has always been very random. Before the drinks package was included with booking we often used to bring on a few bottles and were probably charged about 50% of the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The ability to bring unlimited wine onboard has not changed in years. Recently, they started waiving the corkage if you have a drinks package.

You must hand carry the wine and have it checked after you pass through security in the terminal. If you check the wine in your luggage, your bag will be confiscated and you will spend time on embarkation night standing in a [long] line at security along with others who have contraband to have your bag searched. 

Personally, with a drinks package, you can drink wine from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to sleep for free. I am not about to haul bottles around with me on embarkation day for hours until my room is ready. I can drink my “special” wine at home after getting my fill of free drinks on the cruise. 

Thanks for the heads up on security!