Koningsdam coffee & wifi in Alaska ports

Alberta54

I am on the Koningsdam end of September from Vancouver to Alaska. Can anyone tell me what brand of the regular coffee (you don’t pay extra for) is served in the Lido, room service & dining room? Also, I don’t want to pay for wifi on the ship to check email a few times as it’s too expensive for what I need. Can anyone tell me where I could connect to wifi close to the Skagway, Juneau& Ketchikan ports?  Thanks. 

There is free wifi in the public library in Skagway, but it is a bit of a walk from the ship.  I think last time we just asked for internet in a coffee shop near the port.  In Juneau, there is free wifi in the library, too, and it is right beside the dock, a big concrete building, and you have to go up to the top floor to get to the library.  In Ketchikan, I think we got internet in a bar....I'm not sure if/where the library is.  Enjoy your cruise!

As for coffee, a Google search shows: 

What kind of coffee does Holland America use?

"For more than 20 years, Holland America Line has been serving Beukenhorst Koffie imported from the Netherlands in the Lido Market, Dining Room and other venues where complimentary coffee is served."Jan 28, 2024."

In Ketchikan I wanted to get a few snacks and soda and took the free (orange?) downtown bus to Carrs Safeway and McDonalds.  I asked at the Ketchikan Visitor's Bureau right outside the berth at the dock on how to catch the bus and it's across the street in front of a coffee shop.  I'm not sure where you will be berthed so ask where to catch the bus at the Visitor's Bureau.  They had free wifi at both the Safeway store and McDonalds.  The free bus stops right outside of Carrs Safeway and McDonalds so you can't miss it, and it runs about every 15 minutes doing a continuous loop.  Look at google maps and type in the Visitor's Bureau and McDonalds on the directions and you will see the orange bus.  Just make sure to ask in case anything has changed. 

• Like 2

Do you have a cell phone with data? That's all I use in Alaska, with great coverage through ATT (Verizon also has coverage there, but T-Mobile uses roaming, so not great coverage). I get data signals when sailing between ports often too, as well as anywhere near the WA coast. That way I'm not wasting time in port hunting for wifi. HAL also offers wifi by the day or remainder of voyage, so on the way home you could sign up for that. My phone plan also gives some Canada data, so I can get service in Victoria. or else I stop at the Black Ball ferry terminal to use their free wifi and washroom. If your plan doesn't have Alaska coverage, there are e-sims you can buy for $10 or so for a week that will give you Alaska coverage, which is what I get for Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2024 at 5:02 PM, rj59 said:

Do you have a cell phone with data? That's all I use in Alaska, with great coverage through ATT (Verizon also has coverage there, but T-Mobile uses roaming, so not great coverage). I get data signals when sailing between ports often too, as well as anywhere near the WA coast. That way I'm not wasting time in port hunting for wifi. HAL also offers wifi by the day or remainder of voyage, so on the way home you could sign up for that. My phone plan also gives some Canada data, so I can get service in Victoria. or else I stop at the Black Ball ferry terminal to use their free wifi and washroom. If your plan doesn't have Alaska coverage, there are e-sims you can buy for $10 or so for a week that will give you Alaska coverage, which is what I get for Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe.

We also just use our own phones. They are US ports. Just wait for the ship to turn off theirs.

Your phone will show you if your service is available.

• Like 1