Anyone done the Antartica cruise?

DreadPirateRobert

While we were on the Quest for the Ireland intensive we booked the 22 night South American cruise which includes a couple day “sail by” of Antartica. Much of our motivation was the possibility of seeing whales, seals, penguins etc. This is a major draw for my wife. Crew members who had been on these cruises said you’ll see “herds” of animals. 

If you’ve done this cruise I’d appreciate your feedback about the journey good and bad as well as how much you saw sea creatures . Of course it’s the wild and animals come and go. 
For us this is a lot of money. We aren’t wealthy retirees. I just want to have a good feeling about the investment while there’s time to shift deposits if needed. 
Thanks in advance. 

We did this cruise this year, it was an amazing experience.  I honestly cannot think of anything bad about the experience we had on Quest.  There were several naturalists on board who not only did presentations but were also available on deck at key times.  We saw lots of penguins on ice flows, some seals and so many whales.  The naturalists became very excited at all the whales we saw - we saw some of the less commonly found ones.  The natural beauty was special.  The only thing I would say is if you are not used to the cold (we are) you might find you want to view indooors rather than outdoors and the Lounge did get a little crowded at times

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uktog said:

We did this cruise this year, it was an amazing experience.  I honestly cannot think of anything bad about the experience we had on Quest.  There were several naturalists on board who not only did presentations but were also available on deck at key times.  We saw lots of penguins on ice flows, some seals and so many whales.  The naturalists became very excited at all the whales we saw - we saw some of the less commonly found ones.  The natural beauty was special.  The only thing I would say is if you are not used to the cold (we are) you might find you want to view indooors rather than outdoors and the Lounge did get a little crowded at times

Thank you for this. Glad to see there was no shortage of wildlife. Coming from Central Texas we don’t get the really cold temps. Fortunately we have done Rhine River Christmas markets a couple times and have some cold weather gear from those. I assume layering is key. 
I see you’re from the Borders. Supposedly my ancestors were one of the reiving families before going to Ulster. 

We have done four cruises to Antarctica which tells you that we have enjoyed it immensely.  We always see lots of wildlife , birds and penguins especially.  Also the peaceful beauty is wonderful.

• Like 1

The best cruises to Antarctica take you to the ice cap on zodiacs.....they are priced higher and smaller ships crossing reputed treacherous waters..  I wanted to do one of those cruises.  My wife refused to do that cruise on a small ship. ! I thought it less expensive in the long run (divorce lawyers aren't cheap) to book a "sail by" cruise on a Celebrity ship.  It was wonderful.  We saw lots of wildlife and we walked with the penguins in the Falklands and Argentina instead of Antarctica. Glad I compromised...it's a wonderful cruise.

• Like 1

We cruised Antartica on Azamara Pursuit in Jan 2020. You have to decide whether you want a hands on Zodiac cruise on another cruiseline or a drive-by cruise. We did the driveby. 

We saw amazing wildlife and it is one of my favorite cruises. One night we were in the Den have a pre-dinner drink with no coats, cellphones or cameras. I looked out the windows and there were officers and crew hanging  over the railing. I looked at my husband and said “something is happening.”

Whales were in a feeding frenzy and penguins were jumping off ice flows. It was completely amazing and lasted for 30 minutes or so.

Edited by cruzzzinma
  • Like 3

Some people say you don’t get the real experience if you don’t land. What they fail to realise is only 50 or so can be ashore at any point so it’s very regimented and you have (rightly so) to spend time before and after decontaminating. I was happy to walk with penguins in Argentina and the Falklands and see the fun on the flows from the ship 

IMG_4314.jpeg

IMG_3806.jpeg

We are also booked on this cruise and, like the OP's spouse I am very interested in seeing as much wild life as possible so I'm pleased to hear from others who have done this itinerary. I should add that my many previous efforts to see whales have been futile! I have tried from South Africa, Iceland and Canaries without seeing anything more than a distant spout. So, with me on board, don't be surprised if the creatures don't appear 🤣