Short cruise actually part of a much longer cruise

Arbalest123

I'm a novice cruiser with just one previous cruise (Saga), so maybe my query is 'old hat' to experienced cruisers.

I was looking at Med cruises with Azamara for 2026 and found one for 9 days that ticked most of my boxes. It departs 29th June on Azamara Onward and primarily visits ports in Croatia. Then I noticed on the Azamara website that the same vessel (Onward) left on 11th June for a 44 day Grand Voyage.

At first this seemed impossible as this 44 day cruise would mean that the vessel would not be available for the 9 day cruise that I was interested in.

Then I examined the itinerary for the 44 day Grand Cruise and realised that it encompassed the 9 day cruise that interested me. In other words the 9 day cruise was just a 'segment' of a much longer cruise. No mention of this was made on the information for the 9 day cruise, which was being marketed as a distinct cruise in it's own right and not just a part of a much bigger cruise.

Surely the cruise line has a duty to point out to potential customers for the 9 day cruise that this cruise is just a part of a much longer cruise.

Joining a longer cruise part way through must have all sorts of disadvantages to it, with maybe excursions, specialty dining and the like already fully booked up by passengers already onboard. Friendships may already have been made, dining groups established etc etc. Joining part way through a cruise must be a bit like joining a new school part way through the year, a potentially uncomfortable experience.

Is this sort of thing common with Azamara and other cruise lines and surely the cruise line should be transparent about the shorter cruise being just a small part of a much longer cruise? All views and opinions gratefully received..   

20 minutes ago, Arbalest123 said:

I'm a novice cruiser with just one previous cruise (Saga), so maybe my query is 'old hat' to experienced cruisers.

I was looking at Med cruises with Azamara for 2026 and found one for 9 days that ticked most of my boxes. It departs 29th June on Azamara Onward and primarily visits ports in Croatia. Then I noticed on the Azamara website that the same vessel (Onward) left on 11th June for a 44 day Grand Voyage.

At first this seemed impossible as this 44 day cruise would mean that the vessel would not be available for the 9 day cruise that I was interested in.

Then I examined the itinerary for the 44 day Grand Cruise and realised that it encompassed the 9 day cruise that interested me. In other words the 9 day cruise was just a 'segment' of a much longer cruise. No mention of this was made on the information for the 9 day cruise, which was being marketed as a distinct cruise in it's own right and not just a part of a much bigger cruise.

Surely the cruise line has a duty to point out to potential customers for the 9 day cruise that this cruise is just a part of a much longer cruise.

Joining a longer cruise part way through must have all sorts of disadvantages to it, with maybe excursions, specialty dining and the like already fully booked up by passengers already onboard. Friendships may already have been made, dining groups established etc etc. Joining part way through a cruise must be a bit like joining a new school part way through the year, a potentially uncomfortable experience.

Is this sort of thing common with Azamara and other cruise lines and surely the cruise line should be transparent about the shorter cruise being just a small part of a much longer cruise? All views and opinions gratefully received..   

Common practice.  A non-issue.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Arbalest123 said:

Many cruises on many lines are segments of larger itineraries. It's a common occurrence for longer cruises, as most folks opt for specific segments.  And even those cruises which are not specifically as part of a longer cruise have continuing guests doing two or more as back to back. The concerns you expressed are not really issues

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 1

Even without these Grand Journeys I don't think I have ever boarded a ship when there have not been people who were doing a back to back from previous cruise, my last B2B there were 50+ of us staying on for the next one (these were separate cruises not sold as a longer one)

The World Cruise had many people that just joined for part of the journey (there were originally 10 segments available to book indivdually)...don't think it is an issue

I would expect the passenger numbers for the full 44 days to be far less than those booking individual segments 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arbalest123 said:

......Surely the cruise line has a duty to point out to potential customers for the 9 day cruise that this cruise is just a part of a much longer cruise....

Not at all,but it's definitely in your interest to exercise 'due diligence' and find out what goes before and after your cruise. I get it that, as you claim to be a novice, you wouldn't have thought to do so.

Consider it a lesson learnt.

Edited by hamrag
  • Like 1

There is likely to be only a minority of passengers on board doing the complete Grand Voyage, so your cruise shouldn't be adversely effected. 

I've done segments on the Onward World Cruise, and have found that the standards on the ship may actually be a little higher because of the "Grand Cruise" effect.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, cruisermsoon said:

There is likely to be only a minority of passengers on board doing the complete Grand Voyage, so your cruise shouldn't be adversely effected. 

I've done segments on the Onward World Cruise, and have found that the standards on the ship may actually be a little higher because of the "Grand Cruise" effect.

I did a segment of a Viking World Cruise and I agree completely.Those on the World Cruise were very friendly and didn't make us feel like outsiders.  And the standards were definitely higher than on other Viking cruises we've been on.  CTBob

• Like 1

Common practice by Azamara, and many other cruise lines.

For example, I am booked on a 35 day Singapore to Cape Town sailing on the Oceania Nautica beginning in April 2025. This is part of a much longer World Cruise totaling 111 days, starting before my segment and ending after my segment. I could have booked mine as 35 days, 61 days, 71 days, 75 days, 85 days or 111 days. 

I wouldn't get too caught up in joining a sailing where others have been aboard the ship for a period of time before you. It's a non-issue. Some people may have formed friendships, some people may be excited for fresh faces, some people don't care at all. You will still be able to enjoy your trip on your terms, and book things you are interested in. 

Edited by terry&mike
copy change
  • Like 3

Many thanks to all the people who responded to my original query.

The clear message is that there is nothing to worry about when booking a short cruise that is a segment of a much longer cruise. So that is reassuring. However I do still wonder whether if I made such a booking would I be vulnerable to being 'bumped' by the cruise line if they find that there is a demand for the cabin that I have booked for 9 days if they have the opportunity to sell it to someone else who wants to book for the whole 44 day grand cruise. These things often come down to profit margins and clearly my 9 day occupancy would be well and truly trumped by a 44 day reservation. Does anyone know of this sort of thing happening?

1 hour ago, Arbalest123 said:

The clear message is that there is nothing to worry about when booking a short cruise that is a segment of a much longer cruise. So that is reassuring. However I do still wonder whether if I made such a booking would I be vulnerable to being 'bumped' by the cruise line if they find that there is a demand for the cabin that I have booked for 9 days if they have the opportunity to sell it to someone else who wants to book for the whole 44 day grand cruise. These things often come down to profit margins and clearly my 9 day occupancy would be well and truly trumped by a 44 day reservation. Does anyone know of this sort of thing happening?

I've never heard that happening on O or AZ, the lines I mostly cruise.. 

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

If you have a confirmed booking, you will not be bumped. If they want your cabin, you may get a Move Up/Down or Move Over offer, which you can decide to take or not. 

Move Up/Down offer is an offer of a different cabin on the same sailing. Move Over offer is an offer for a different sailing, usually a similar itinerary or a similar time frame. When this type of offer is made, there is usually a nice perk that comes with it, such as a higher category cabin at the same rate as you are booked for, or a longer sailing at the same rate you are booked for. Again, it is an "offer" and is up to you whether you want to take it and see value in it. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Arbalest123 said:

Won’t happen, your booking is a binding contract.  They can’t just arbitrarily cancel it.

• Like 1