Jim_Iain - Live - comparison of Oceania Regatta - Vista Suite to Celebrity Millennium Royal Suite

Jim_Iain

8 hours ago, canderson said:

With any luck, Jim isn't trying to correct for any major astigmatism at the same time.  Mine was an asymmetric astigmatism on the left, and not entirely correctable.  Sounds like yours may have been significant as well.  It's what's keeping both of us from 'perfect' vision.  Toric lenses have limits, regardless of whether or not they're monofocal.  It's the same with contacts.

If Jim is getting the lenses I think he's getting, he'll be able to see every tiny scratch on the face of his watch crystal when it's done.

Yea.. I think so.   After they did the biometery he suggested the variable lens.     I have a bad astigmatism and they fixed that on my right eye.  

Just now, Jim_Iain said:

Yea.. I think so.   After they did the biometery he suggested the variable lens.     I have a bad astigmatism and they fixed that on my right eye.  

'Fixed' before you had the cataracts done, or have you already had the new lenses installed?  Thought this was still in the future for you.

On 9/17/2024 at 12:57 PM, Ex-Airbalancer said:

I had both eyes done in 2020, and had the basic government  lens installed ,there is  no charge for procedure 😁

so far no glasses 

I also had PRK in one eye ( done before LASIK was done , about 1996) and LASIK in the other eye ( 2001) which add to complication of picking the correct lens 

My dr really doesn’t offer the upgraded as he found a lot of people are not happy as in couple years they need glasses ,I think if you have had astigmatism it is a little hard to do 

We get the basic and surgery for free with our Medical.   With Iain's great coverage from the Federal Reserve we don't pay any co-payment. 

• Like 2

When my DH had cataract surgeries and quit wearing glasses, he looked 10 years older because the bags under his eyes showed and he wouldn't consider cosmetic surgery.  So, I convinced him to get clear-on-top/reading progressives and, voila, he looked handsome again (and younger). 😉 

• Haha 4

On 9/17/2024 at 3:53 PM, canderson said:

We're wandering a bit, but it's a good thing to discuss.

My doc was also very conservative, and until a year and a half ago, would not install any but a standard monofocal lens.  He was finally won over to the AcrySof lenses, but not without a lot of study. 

Here's what he used:

https://www.myalcon.com/cataracts/clareon-iols/panoptix/

https://www.myalcon.com/professional/cataract-surgery/iols/clareon-panoptix/

Unfortunately, as Jim has discovered, if you don't go with a straight monofocal, the government doesn't even chip in as much as they'd have been willing to pay for those to the cost of the upgraded lenses.  The procedure is covered, but $0 for the lenses.

Also - A toric lens replacement (either monofocal or the fancier flavors) can be used to resolve many cases of astigmatism, just as they do in contacts.

I have quite  a lot of faith in my doctor.  Scheduling has been tough with my travel schedule.  He is head of the Department and use to be with Mayo Clinic.   They gave me two dates in November but had to push off due to our October / November 45 days away.   I'm on top of the list for December...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

My main problem is I have Glaucoma.  I am allergic to all except one drug.   My first eye was a 2 hour surgery to build a new drainage system.   This eye they are recommended a stint.   Since they are already doing a surgery they have done the cataract at the same time.

Sorry to hear this Jim, more serious than cataracts.  Glad to read you’ve got a great doc(s).  

Enjoy the rest of your cruises and those Mayo Docs are pretty damn good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

I'd be interested in how the ratio holds up for the "hotel" or service side of the house.  Maybe even more in favor of a smaller ship?  My guess would be a large ship requires more operational crew to run the ship and maintain it.  But, there may be a benefit (some efficiency) to a larger ship so it may be in favor of a larger vessel (ie a greater percentage of "crew" is in the hotel/service category). 

Of course, the proof is always in the performance and how well you feel treated on-board.

I've noticed that attentiveness may be variable.   For example I just went down to Barista and sat for 5 minutes and not a single server available.   I instead went up to the Lounge and made myself one in the machine.... almost as good as the Barista makes.  

Tea service was on so they may have pulled a lot of the server.   On the way back I saw the barista returning carrying a big box of things.   Never seen al Bacio with no one in attendance.   Normally they have a large number of baristas and servers.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Ex-Airbalancer said:

Is a 20% tip than add to the prices?

The Wine and beer are included in your fare for lunch and dinner under the current plan.  This is due to end on reservations after October 1 for sailing after January 1, 2025.   So their is no tip.

If purchasing at other times they add 20% tip.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Jim, if you happen to go by, or into the gym, would you take a couple of pics?  My DH needs to have enough weights/cardio to at least maintain his level of fitness.  I am usually fine with what is available.  Thanking you in advance!  I am also looking forward to your review of the track for walking.😍  With all the wonderful food you are sharing, my DH said he may have to do two workouts on our Vista cruise😄.

I will try to post later.  Currently the internet has come to a crawl.   I tried a minute ago and it was taking 10 minutes a picture.     Hopefully it will return to a decent speed later today.    May also be everyone is on the internet now and eating all the bandwidth.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Jim -

Just noticed this late as it was quoted by someone.

I've never seen an ratio comparison shown using a max berth count before.  You have to stuff every berth to get a number of 2662 for Millennium.  More traditionally, comparisons are done based upon double occupancy in an attempt to keep apples/apples working.  The Regatta number is double occupancy.

For Millennium, that's 2158 pax double (2662 max).  2158/997 = 2.16 (2.67)

For Regatta, that's 684 pax double (824 max).  684/400 = 1.71 (2.06)

So while there's definitely a worthwhile comparison to be made there, it must be done apples/apples to keep that comparison in perspective.  Celebrity has the best ratio of all of the mainstream lines.

RCCL's Radiance class is the closest to a Celebrity M Class, and their numbers are different yet (sticking with double occupancy numbers).  In general, RCCL doesn't fare as well in these sorts of comparisons:

For Radiance, that's 2143 (2446) pax double.  2143/894 = 2.40

What surprised the heck out of me was the ratio for Silversea.  The biggest things they have to compare to Regatta would be the new Ray or Nova.

For Nova, that's 728 pax double.  728/558 = 1.31 !!!

I'll leave you to calculate the ratios but for correct numbers ---  For my numbers I used the minimum for each ship with 2x per cabin.    Personally we never sail during high season with ships at Max Capacity. 

Per the Revolution Ship Fleet Guide

image.png.24988da8137bc1850d2d2da0eb629398.png

The numbers

Total Double Occupancy (less singles)

Triple an Quad Occupancy

Total Occupancy - Maximum per certification.

image.thumb.png.c943f0b8253c6ac0f992f9e90ea0b0cc.png

Edited by Jim_Iain

OK.... time for our Excursion 4x4 Excursion

We showed up about 20 minutes early for our excursion and since there were only 4 of us we set off early (That never happened before on Celebrity). 

Our van driver went north about 8 miles north to a Boat Ramp.   We were met there by a small boat who zipped across the bay to Kruzof Island.

image.png.41c6f09f855d463c825d1e5bd24e4f25.png

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Jim, if you happen to go by, or into the gym, would you take a couple of pics?  My DH needs to have enough weights/cardio to at least maintain his level of fitness.  I am usually fine with what is available.  Thanking you in advance!  I am also looking forward to your review of the track for walking.😍  With all the wonderful food you are sharing, my DH said he may have to do two workouts on our Vista cruise😄.

Here's one picture I shot of the Gym    Let me know if you would like something more detailed or a specific device.

IMG_5548.thumb.jpeg.49dea92ca229f1794aa0c5d9701a1c18.jpeg

Here's a link to Cruise Deckplans that has a lot of pictures of Regatt's Gym

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/ships/shiptour.php?r=4458

Edited by Jim_Iain

4 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

I hope today is just an internet issue and that you both are OK.  I, each day, anxiously await your posts. So far I am sold on Oceania.  Trish

The internet can often upload a picture within seconds but then suddenly just slows to a crawl.    No rhyme nor reason.

I'm usually able to stream YouTube TV on both my Firestick.   About 20% of the time it fails but can stream on my iPhone pretty consistent.    Today can't stream on either.

just tried again and connected to Norah CBS evening news

They currently have free internet on Oceania.  Really strange you can buy an upgrade for streaming, but learned from users you get around the streaming restriction by enabling VPN.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, canderson said:

'Fixed' before you had the cataracts done, or have you already had the new lenses installed?  Thought this was still in the future for you.

I had one done with regular lens in right eye along with the long surgery.    My vision is about 20/30 distance in left eye but cataract really causing halos from headlights an lamps...   Thus the reason for the replacement lens.... As long as he was already doing surgery he suggested having the stint put in at the same time.   I previously had a laser procedure to reduce pressure but it failed after 6 months. 

• Like 2

I found the link, thanks to another poster, to your live from on the Oceania Boards.  I’m sold on Oceania. Can you give me any sense of how crew and passengers react to you both as a married couple?  I’ve always felt very comfortable on Celebrity.

• Like 1

Ok a bit more comparison --

Oceania does not use plastic bottles -  instead you get a free drinking thermos and each day they leave bottles of still and sparkling water in bottles.   Also around the ship they have water dispensers to dispense both chilled water and room temperature to refill your thermos.   I'm using the word thermos as they are not insulated.

The ones on Ponant are real thermoses and much better.

IMG_5591.thumb.jpeg.07892feb685b92ff8f114190857ed0b7.jpeg

IMG_5592.thumb.jpeg.ad81d7062b9253ec331ea789a1a7cbbb.jpeg

IMG_5733.thumb.jpeg.55e8713af4f48aa7a006549f04329b4f.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

I found the link, thanks to another poster, to your live from on the Oceania Boards.  I’m sold on Oceania. Can you give me any sense of how crew and passengers react to you both as a married couple?  I’ve always felt very comfortable on Celebrity.

LOL---- Sorry --- both are in my signature in purple below.

Edited by Jim_Iain

11 minutes ago, goldsmip115 said:

The staff and crew are very engaging.    They even have an LGBQT cocktail hour and the Martini Bar.    We have never been into living in the gay ghetto and rarely if ever would go the LGBTQ meet and greet.    I think in today's world gay couples on cruises and travel in general don't blink an eye --- also as a male couple they never make the assumption we are gay.   

Just walking around using Gaydar I would say there are about 6 or more other same sex couples and a couple singles.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

So Oceania wins the alcohol pricing?

Do they have packages, wine included with dinner, etc.?

I don't drink but have the wine/beer option as part of our fare.   Iain upgraded to the premium at $30 per day.   He enjoys cocktails in the bar for pre-dinner drinks.   With 6 bottles of gratis Grey Goose he may come out far ahead if we choose to "smuggle it" on the way home. 

Here’s som bar menus. 

I was thinking the prices looked goods and they pour a 1 1/2 gigged shot 

IMG_5698.thumb.jpeg.89d6e900022b12675a24c601c0e9b350.jpeg

IMG_5697.thumb.jpeg.df80929de8bc16db1c2cacdf02e4019c.jpeg

IMG_5696.thumb.jpeg.795963ee8659d5f7d0b99ba4b8457d9c.jpeg

This is the upper suite menu to choos 6 bottles from. 

IMG_5625.thumb.jpeg.4868d1bae29dc5c6c3316b8c608e4588.jpeg

IMG_5626.thumb.jpeg.49a9171fb6f372e394bad7c8a598820e.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 5

On 9/17/2024 at 12:07 PM, Jim_Iain said:

That is one of the things that wouldn't work for me.    I like the tracking of my sleep and most I've read of don't last overnight...

I wear mine to sleep, then charge it when I wake up. It’s usually fully charged in less than an hour. My phone notifies me the charge is complete at some point after I’m out of the shower and doing my hair or makeup. YMMV - I suspect it takes you far less time to shower & get ready than I! 😉

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I had one done with regular lens in right eye along with the long surgery.    My vision is about 20/30 distance in left eye but cataract really causing halos from headlights an lamps...   Thus the reason for the replacement lens.... As long as he was already doing surgery he suggested having the stint put in at the same time.   I previously had a laser procedure to reduce pressure but it failed after 6 months. 

Ouch.  Wishing you the best possible outcome.  My wife had the same issue of only short term relief from the lasered 'drain holes', and also has issues with all but one compounded eye drop. 

• Like 1

It has taken me all day but I think I am caught up on both boards.    I believer I have replied to all questions but If I missed any requests pleas repast.

Today was a nice quiet day with limited live TV.    Oceania has about the same selections as for live broadcast.    I personally find CNBC, FOX and MSNBC too polarized  to watch so when I can't stream ABC, CBS and CNN I watch SKY and BBC New. 

Now on the recorded on-demand choices... Oceania has Celebrity beat to probably 1,000%

I'm unable to count them as there are so many ----Probably 1,000 movies of all Genres. Then they have a selection of 23 TV Series... 

IMG_5894.thumb.jpeg.2f0d2d31204f145234a7116dbf303115.jpeg

IMG_5895.thumb.jpeg.df72d4c14b2aa589a74f1d646ff7ffa5.jpeg

IMG_5896.thumb.jpeg.cb7f36748db7df2c2b3fd6432ff8784a.jpeg

IMG_5897.thumb.jpeg.ab67f32f3202afd0b01681a0171844eb.jpeg

IMG_5898.thumb.jpeg.92da0e1203489a1da8a5a1d4487fc62a.jpeg

IMG_5899.thumb.jpeg.489c4afe43c571baf604b4e53312dbb9.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11