Specialty dining reservation times need to be fairly distributed.

mozfoz

When you pay more, you get more.  That's just the way the world works.  If specialty dining is very important to making your cruise what you want, then you have to pay more for a more expensive cabin to get the table or time you want.  Or you can cruise on a line where you pay extra for a specialty restaurant which may end up costing less in the long run. 

I'm tired of hearing people complain about having to share a table or eating at 7:30 or 8:00.  There are so many options available, and I can guarantee you're not going to starve no matter what time you want to eat or who you have to eat with.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

"Fair," in this case, seems only to mean "more beneficial to me even though I paid less than those with more options."  That's not the way life works.  Speaking as a 45-day-out specialty reserver in the middle of the pack, I can't always get what we want -- but if I try sometimes (usually at midnight), I get what we need.  Does that mean the folks in penthouses and suites have an unfair advantage?  No, they have a perfectly fair advantage that maybe I could have had, too, if only I'd saved more and not had so much fun in years gone by.  

Words of wisdom from The Rolling Stones. Spot on even 60 years later😂🚢

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DrHemlock said:

"Fair," in this case, seems only to mean "more beneficial to me .."

That is often the definition of "fair," especially with kids complaining about stuff.  

On 9/11/2024 at 6:31 PM, mozfoz said:

I know that people are paying 2-3 time what we are paying, but I would like if there was a more equitable way to distribute the availability of reservations times for all.  I know the brains at Oceania can figure out a system for a fair distribution of dinner times available,  so everyone can have at least one time of choice.

Being "fair"  should mean equitable, with an objective of being free from favor toward either or any side. Fair implies a proper balance of conflicting interest impartial and just, without favoritism or discrimination

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

free from favor toward either or any side.

But these aren't sides.  They're levels based on fare paid.  Everyone within a given level has equal opportunity with everyone else at that level -- though fortune favors the diligent, as it is in life.

Edited by DrHemlock
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

But these aren't sides.  They're levels based on fare paid.  Everyone within a given level has equal opportunity with everyone else at that level -- though fortune favors the diligent, as it is in life.

So does that indicate it is ok for any passenger get up at 6:00am and reserve 6 lounges with towels by the pool and not sit on them until 10:00. Or is that only ok for Penthouse guest since they paid more.

3 minutes ago, mozfoz said:

So does that indicate it is ok for any passenger get up at 6:00am and reserve 6 lounges with towels by the pool and not sit on them until 10:00. Or is that only ok for Penthouse guest since they paid more.

I thought we were talking about dinner reservations?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Cruising Maryland said:

I thought we were talking about dinner reservations?

As the OP that was my intent. However, it appears that other topics such as recipes, bribes, ethnics, butlers, definitions and such, have interfered with the topic. Maybe it is time for the Moderator close this post. Happy sailing to all.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What is "fair" starts with a company complying with its own published polices, rules, and procedures. Here it would be: Is O actually complying with what it has publicly told everyone about its specialty restaurant reservations?

The underlying issue here is likely more related to "special", unpublished, treatment accorded higher cabin level passengers and Oceania Club members. But because it isn't published, there is no way for us to know. For example, I've seen Suite members comment that they essentially could get unlimited reservations during the cruise if they just asked. That seems to imply that O is "saving" tables during cruises for such potentialities. And a "saved" table is an unavailable table for everyone else.

We went O Club Bronze level on our recent 22 nights on Sirena. IIRC, from the Repeater Party data shared by the FCC on the 2nd part (there wasn't one on the 1st), there were about 14-18 Bronze members sailing. (Fewer at the O Club higher levels.). One night we had a 1930 reservation in Tuscan Steak. I had the distinct feeling when we checked in that the comment directed specifically to us--"You've got the last ocean view table for two"--was tied to our being Bronze.

1 hour ago, DrHemlock said:

Mmmm, maybe.  I've met a few I'd rather starve than eat with....

I've never eaten with anyone that bad but sometimes I think I'm used to eating with difficult people.  You should meet some of my family members.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

24 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

What is "fair" starts with a company complying with its own published polices, rules, and procedures. Here it would be: Is O actually complying with what it has publicly told everyone about its specialty restaurant reservations?

The underlying issue here is likely more related to "special", unpublished, treatment accorded higher cabin level passengers and Oceania Club members. But because it isn't published, there is no way for us to know. For example, I've seen Suite members comment that they essentially could get unlimited reservations during the cruise if they just asked. That seems to imply that O is "saving" tables during cruises for such potentialities. And a "saved" table is an unavailable table for everyone else.

We went O Club Bronze level on our recent 22 nights on Sirena. IIRC, from the Repeater Party data shared by the FCC on the 2nd part (there wasn't one on the 1st), there were about 14-18 Bronze members sailing. (Fewer at the O Club higher levels.). One night we had a 1930 reservation in Tuscan Steak. I had the distinct feeling when we checked in that the comment directed specifically to us--"You've got the last ocean view table for two"--was tied to our being Bronze.

That may have been your perception, but really, Bronze is not going to get you a lot of special treatment. 

So are you saying there was no repeaters party on the first leg or no Future Cruise Consultant on it?

That may have been your perception, but really, Bronze is not going to get you a lot of special treatment. 

I'll agree with that.  When we became Bronze I don't think we were treated any differently.  I don't think most employees on the ship even know what level you are.  In the dining room they do know if you're in a high end suite.  If we do get special treatment I like to think it's because of our incredibly good looks. 😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

... but really, Bronze is not going to get you a lot of special treatment. 

So are you saying there was no repeaters party on the first leg or no Future Cruise Consultant on it?

58 minutes ago, iowananny said:

... When we became Bronze I don't think we were treated any differently. ... In the dining room they do know if you're in a high-end suite....

We had no FCC on the 1st leg. At the Repeater Party the GM had to fill in as best he could on the 1st leg with the "statistics", but he did his mainly as jokes (e.g., as to how many of this or that item were consumed). But the GM did tell me during the cruise he knew who we were and that we were going Bronze. I had some nice discussions with him.

The FCC went thru the numbers for exactly how many cruises went Bronze, Silver, etc. And how many of each class were on board. IIRC, more Bronze and more new Bronze than any other class.

We were given 2 baseball caps each with the Bronze showing, 2 carrying bags each with the Bronze showing, and 2 big bottles of wine for our cabin.

I suspect that when I wore my Bronze cap and my wife carried her Bronze bag, pretty much any crew member we met knew we were...Bronze. (I wore the cap pretty much every time I ate in the TC (for all our breakfasts, lunches and 18 of our 22 dinners. Mainly because I only had brought 1 cap with me for the entire month we were on vacation and I didn't want to wear it all the time. Wore it mainly on excursions.)

I told this story before, but I managed to get reservations (Nautica) for the two restaurants for a civilized 6:30 pm with a shared table without jumping out of bed at midnight on the designated day in spite of being newbies with no clout AND booked on Deck 4.  Seemed fair to me:  got what I wanted within the rules of my fare.  It seems  to me that someone who objects to the rules of the game should go play elsewhere.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kay S said:

I told this story before, but I managed to get reservations (Nautica) for the two restaurants for a civilized 6:30 pm with a shared table without jumping out of bed at midnight on the designated day in spite of being newbies with no clout AND booked on Deck 4.  Seemed fair to me:  got what I wanted within the rules of my fare.  It seems  to me that someone who objects to the rules of the game should go play elsewhere.

Since you are in California, there is no need to jump out of bed at midnight on the designated day.  The reservation window opens at midnight east coast time.  So for those of us on the west coast, we can make reservations at 9:00 pm the day before.  

• Like 2

On 9/23/2024 at 6:57 PM, mozfoz said:

Its not polite to hijack a posts for your personal interest. Be kind enough to start your own topic or stay on topic of the original post.  In the CC board it called etiquette.

sorry!   I admit I contributed to the diversion.    

15 hours ago, mozfoz said:

No, it does not.  That's false equivalence.  Specialty restaurant reservations are made within O's established system and published rules.  There is no such system for pool lounges.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, DrHemlock said:

... Specialty restaurant reservations are made within O's established system and published rules....

Are you certain ALL such specialty reservations are so made? Especially for those in Suites and those in higher levels of O's Club system?

I'd bet you $100 that what O has actually set up for the Suites and PHs is NOT what we actually see below. Likely also for President, Diamond, Platinum, Gold, etc. O Club members. Seems like I've read too many comments by such cruisers who discuss getting easy access to additional reservations at times and days when others couldn't make such reservations.

--------------------------

This is what O says in part:

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category, and length of cruise: 

Marina, Riviera, Vista and Allura
Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite, and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Are you certain ALL such specialty reservations are so made? Especially for those in Suites and those in higher levels of O's Club system?

I'd bet you $100 that what O has actually set up for the Suites and PHs is NOT what we actually see below. Likely also for President, Diamond, Platinum, Gold, etc. O Club members. Seems like I've read too many comments by such cruisers who discuss getting easy access to additional reservations at times and days when others couldn't make such reservations.

--------------------------

This is what O says in part:

Guests are permitted to make the following reservations in our specialty restaurants - which vary by ship, category, and length of cruise: 

Marina, Riviera, Vista and Allura
Owner’s Suite, Vista Suite, and Oceania Suite 
Cruises 7 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 8-17 days: 2 reservations at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 3 reservations at each restaurant 

Penthouse Suite 
Cruises 17 days or less: 1 reservation at each restaurant 
Cruises 18 days or more: 2 reservations at each restaurant 

I can confirm that this is how it works. Our Butler was not able to obtain an extra reservation for a 2 top at 6:30 or 7:00 on the one night we asked.We did not check at either the reservation desk or the restaurants. Enjoyed terrace Cafe that night.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

No, of course I'm not certain.  I can only read the rules you've quoted and which have worked well enough for us on 19 O cruises.  

Certain anecdotes in earlier posts indicate that fudging may happen.  I suspect that timing and a warm smile may have had more to do with getting those extra reservations than suite occupancy.  And if O Club status made a difference, I believe I'd have known since we've been gold for a while now.  Mind you, we don't wear our gold level caps to dinner so maybe we're just too incognito....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Going back to the original post.  How did things work out?

on one cruise, I reserved online. When we checked in at the dock, one of the reservations was missing. I had the email noting the reservation.  The maitr’d apologized and rebooked it.  Oceania reservation online can be frustrating. Have faith, once onboard, things work out.

@MEFIowa With all due respect, I think you’re putting too much emphasis on Suite passengers asking for extra reservations. Not everyone wants them. 

We always book PH for the sole reason of more cabin space. We’ve always been able to get the dates, times and 2-tops we’ve wanted but specialty dining reservations aren’t our priority. We’ve never asked for additional reservations. 
We’ll be boarding Nautica very soon and didn’t even make all the reservations we’re allotted. That leaves more dining reservations for other pax.