Greek Isles (+Turkey): what documents do I need?

US citizens traveling on Celebrity Infinity Greek Isles+ Turkey in May 2025

The cruise contract says they will deny boarding if we don't have the right documents, but don't seem to offer any help in figuring out what we need.

Greece is part of the EUs, so I think I need:

- Passport valid for 6 months after the cruise (from another section of the contract)

- ETIAS

Turkey is not part of the EUs. Can I still do shore excursions without a visa? where do I get that info?

I found the info a the Dept of State

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Greece.html

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Turkey.html

Neither of them mention ETIAS

Both of them mention "enough blank pages for entry and exit stamp". I'll check we have at least 4 blank pages in case? I'm guessing we will not get a stamp in turkey as part of the cruise excursion, but we will definitely get entry/exit from Greece since Athens is our port of entry into the country

Cruise ship passengers don't need a visa if they arrive in Turkey on a cruise ship or ferry, don't stay for more than 72 hours, and depart Turkey by the same means. If their ship is in port overnight they must lodge on the ship - they can't book into accommodation without a visa or e-visa.

https://www.turkish-visa.org/turkey-e-visa-requirements-for-cruise-ship-visitors#:~:text=Tourists arriving in Turkey by,eVisa%2C based on their nationality.

But if they arrive or depart by any other means (eg they fly in or out because their cruise starts or finishes in Turkey) or their ship remains for more than 72 hours, they will need an e-visa. 

Inexpensive, easy to obtain on-line, but I think that visa on arrival is no longer possible.

If you need an e-visa be sure to book on the Government website 

https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/ 

Same as in other countries there are visa agencies with official-sounding names who will add a fee to do it for you. For a very few countries visa applications can be complicated and an agent can make it easier. But no need to waste money for Turkey - it's very easy. 

A personal note.....

Istanbul is a vibrant and historic city, prices are quite low, the people are very friendly.

If your cruise starts or ends in Istanbul it's well worth tacking on an extra couple of days in the city.

JB 🙂

• Thanks 1

thanks John,

My cruise starts/end in Athens and only spends the day in Kuşadası (Ephesus) so not additional documents needed.

I'd love to visit İstanbul, but would be a dedicated trip or at least a multiple day stay as part of a larger trip as you recommend

2 hours ago, CaptainSeaBreeze said:

thanks John,

My cruise starts/end in Athens and only spends the day in Kuşadası (Ephesus) so not additional documents needed.

I'd love to visit İstanbul, but would be a dedicated trip or at least a multiple day stay as part of a larger trip as you recommend

Good idea to have the pages but you most likely will not get any passport stamps in Greece. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

They will get an entry stamp wherever they first enter Europe, and when they depart Europe.

Been to Greece and Turkey four times and never had a stamp. Same with Venice. 

1 minute ago, zqvol said:

Been to Greece and Turkey four times and never had a stamp. Same with Venice. 

Been to Europe many times. Can't remember ever not getting at least one stamp. Not to mention possibly getting a stamp re-entering the US...but not since they have simplified things around GE.

On 9/12/2024 at 5:42 PM, zqvol said:

Been to Greece and Turkey four times and never had a stamp. Same with Venice

This was my experience visiting ports in these countries on cruise ships departing from Spain and Italy.  Is that what you are implying or that your passport was not stamped in Greek or Turkish airports when arriving on an international flight (or from outside Schengen zone for Greece.) 

On 9/12/2024 at 5:44 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Been to Europe many times. Can't remember ever not getting at least one stamp. Not to mention possibly getting a stamp re-entering the US

About 30 years ago I flew from the US to Zurich. For some reason the immigration officer didn't stamp my passport coming into the country.  i assume it was an accident on the officer's part.  I then rented a Swiss plated car at the airport and went traveling in the area for several weeks.  When I crossed back into Switzerland the border guard was puzzled by the lack of stamp in my passport book.  I really can't remember the conversation but he let me pass without issue.

40 minutes ago, SelectSys said:

This was my experience visiting ports in these countries on cruise ships departing from Spain and Italy.  Is that what you are implying or that your passport was not stamped in Greek or Turkish airports when arriving on an international flight (or from outside Schengen zone for Greece.) 

About 30 years ago I flew from the US to Zurich. For some reason the immigration officer didn't stamp my passport coming into the country.  i assume it was an accident on the officer's part.  I then rented a Swiss plated car at the airport and went traveling in the area for several weeks.  When I crossed back into Switzerland the border guard was puzzled by the lack of stamp in my passport book.  I really can't remember the conversation but he let me pass without issue.

Never stamped flying in, or out.