Starlink, Explorer?

kahuna21

1 hour ago, labonnevie said:

Onboard Splendor now. 
If Starlink is up, and I believe it is, it is not a panacea. Sometimes WiFi works well, sometimes not at all. 

Family member disembarked Splendor last month. He told me Starlink is not due to go active on the ship until October or November. Splendor has Starlink equipment installed. They did it during March/April transatlantic. However, due to contractual relationships with the current provider, they have delayed activation of service. My understanding is similar situations are occurring on other Regent and Oceania ships. I was on Oceania Mariner for 25 nights in August. Starlink was working and was very very good.

Splendor has had Starlink at least since Sept 3 (we’re onboard).  As noted above, it’s full of problems. I think I saw an email earlier today announcing Starlink is live on all Regent ships now. 
If you’ll  excuse the bad pun, the Regent Sales and Marketing rhetoric and the service delivery on board the Splendor can be oceans apart. The  Starlink implementation being just one example. 

Frank

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lorna Doone said:

Since starlink is up Regent should permit two logins for each cabin similar to Oceania ships with starlink!

It is segregated as one per guest.  Login is with last name and DOB. 

Concierge and above get 4 logins per guest. 

CAUTION.  No VPN or Streaming on standard accounts.  Upgraded one of our accounts (needed the VPN).  When you upgrade, those 4 logins becomes one login with streaming and VPN.

• Like 1

On our Panama Canal cruise in January we had starlink. In some locations I was able to use my iPad with a VPN. As I recall the VPN got in the way starting around Guatemala and persisted until somewhere in the Caribbean. If I was concerned about data security I waited until we were in port and used my cell phone as a hotspot.