CBD Infused Hair Product

kalmich

13 hours ago, tootsiescurly said:

Smoke your pot and use your CBD. This is on you! You are wasting our time. You all do what you want to do! Most of us have better things to worry about.

Since you chose to take the time to open this thread and type a response, you’re actually wasting your own time. Cruise Critic isn’t school and this thread isn’t required reading. 

• Like 1

On 9/17/2024 at 10:51 AM, Elaine5715 said:

The issue is in states like mine CBD products can legally be made from marijuana, not just hemp.  

Do dogs alert on products made from hemp rather than marijuana? Not saying the OP should bring the hair spray on her cruise, just curious about the science. I’m guessing not, otherwise hemp clothing would also be prohibited. 

On 9/17/2024 at 9:18 AM, DeniseTr said:

I think the CBD thing is relatively new. I used a CBD salve on my cruises from 2018 to 2020, but it's  likely that pot has become so commonplace that the dogs were alerting to CBD too often, so they banned it all.

I'd agree, not worth taking the risk.

Carnival bans all CBD products. In Florida ports, all passengers get sniffed by the drug dogs

On 9/18/2024 at 10:26 AM, aborgman said:

My point is that while Carnival is perfectly within their rights to prevent you from bringing it on board, they are making false statements about WHY you aren't allowed to bring it on.

You shouldn't bring it on because it may be contminated with THC which is federally illegal? Absolutely true.

You shouldn't bring it on because it is illegal in SOME of the ports visited by Carnival? Absolutely true.

You shouldn't bring it on because it is against Carnival policy/rules? Absolutely true.

It's against Carnival rules BECAUSE it is federally illegal? Absolutely false.

It's against Carnival rules BECAUSE it's illegal in ALL ports they visit? Absolutely false.

Just now, simplelife said:

Carnival's statements are not false. Carnival's site does not say that marijuana is ILLEGAL in All the ports they visit. It says it is "not legal " in all the ports (which means it may be legal in some ports, but not all). It's a matter of interpretation; perhaps Carnival's wording could be clearer, but it is not false.

Also, Carnival is correct that it is NOT legal under US federal law. It is still classified as a controlled substance. It may be legal in some states, but if taken to another state where it is NOT legal, the holder can be prosecuted. Some of the ports are located in states where it is not legal (such as all the Florida ports, where all cruise passengers and their bags are sniffed by drug dogs). 

On 9/28/2024 at 8:07 PM, Rick&Jeannie said:

I'm not sure that I would be very keen to be faced with agitated passengers who have maxed out their daily drink package *and* taken their smuggled (or legal) CBD as they dance on the railing.

Ummm... you do understand that CBD has no intoxicating effect right?

ab67616d00001e020bc6bb4a7810a6dbe766dd7e.jpg

On 9/21/2024 at 1:48 PM, BlerkOne said:

It is an opinion. Our restaurant is the best, is an opinion. It is not Carnival's job to keep up with all the laws of all the ports of call worldwide. Not ALL CBD is legal. Some CBD products do contain THC in varying amounts. It is not Carnival's job to know which ones. Carnival is not lying - they are simply not going to debate what they have already forbid.

If it can be proved or disproved with objective evidence - it is a statement of fact, not an opinion.

All CBD is federally legal. No CBD is federally illegal.

16 hours ago, tootsiescurly said:

Smoke your pot and use your CBD. This is on you! You are wasting our time. You all do what you want to do! Most of us have better things to worry about.

I don't smoke pot, use CBD, or buy the Cheers program.

I still think it's silly for Carnival to unnecessarily lie about the reasoning behind their CBD ban or not serving Cheers out of certain ports.

13 hours ago, BlerkOne said:

There is a total of one (1) CBD product that is FDA approved. As for the rest, who knows what you are really getting.or what the origin is?

There are zero multi-vitamins that are FDA approved.

Supplements of any sort (vitamins, CBD, turmeric, melatonin, CoQ10, Echinacea, ginseng, etc., etc.) aren't approved by the FDA - because they are considered "food" and the FDA doesn't approve foods. The FDA only approves pharmaceutical drug products.

That has absolutely nothing to do with being federally legal or illegal.

6 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

As for the claim that the doctrine of the Supremacy Clause applies, it doesn't. The Federal government may choose to waive enforcement of federal law in the states where it is legal, most assuredly, but they have full authority to enforce federal law in those areas under federal jurisdiction. 

Huh? What you describe is exactly what the Supremacy Clause says.

Federal law preempts state law.

Which means the federal law saying that CBD is legal preempts any state law making it illegal.

Were it illegal under Federal law - then the Feds could enforce that law even in states that said it was legal... but it isn't illegal under federal law, so it's legal everywhere.

5 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Supplements of any sort (vitamins, CBD, turmeric, melatonin, CoQ10, Echinacea, ginseng, etc., etc.) aren't approved by the FDA - because they are considered "food" and the FDA doesn't approve foods. The FDA only approves pharmaceutical drug products.

Interesting...given that FDA stands for Food and Drug Administration! 😆

2 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Huh? What you describe is exactly what the Supremacy Clause says.

Federal law preempts state law.

Which means the federal law saying that CBD is legal preempts any state law making it illegal.

Were it illegal under Federal law - then the Feds could enforce that law even in states that said it was legal... but it isn't illegal under federal law, so it's legal everywhere.

CBD is only federally legal IF it meets very specific guidelines. 

3 hours ago, vjmatty said:

Do dogs alert on products made from hemp rather than marijuana?

Dog drug detection is... an interesting subject.

Dogs working with no handler at all have reasonably good success rates (~70% detection rate) and relatively low false positive rates.

Dogs working with handlers have BAD success rates. Sub 50% detection rates, with high false positive rates.

...and based on experience, I don't think the dogs/handlers Carnival is using are the cream of the crop.

1 minute ago, aborgman said:

Dog drug detection is... an interesting subject.

Dogs working with no handler at all have reasonably good success rates (~70% detection rate) and relatively low false positive rates.

Dogs working with handlers have BAD success rates. Sub 50% detection rates, with high false positive rates.

...and based on experience, I don't think the dogs/handlers Carnival is using are the cream of the crop.

I'm pretty sure that Carnival isn't using dogs since every dog that I've seen is being handled by someone with a badge.

1 minute ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Interesting...given that FDA stands for Food and Drug Administration! 😆

The FDA "regulates" food, but the FDA does not "approve" food. '

"But not all those products undergo premarket approval — that is, a review of safety, quality, and effectiveness by FDA experts and agency approval before a product can be sold to consumers. In some cases, the FDA’s enforcement efforts focus on products after they are already for sale.

The FDA doesn’t approve facilities.

The FDA approves new human drugs and biological products.

The FDA doesn’t approve compounded drugs.

The FDA doesn’t approve tobacco products.
The FDA approves food additives in food for people.
The FDA approves color additives used in FDA-regulated products.
The FDA does not approve cosmetics.

The FDA doesn’t approve medical foods.
The FDA doesn’t approve infant formula.

The FDA doesn’t approve dietary supplements.

The FDA doesn’t approve the food label, including the Nutrition Facts label.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer-updates/it-really-fda-approved

3 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm pretty sure that Carnival isn't using dogs since every dog that I've seen is being handled by someone with a badge.

I'm pretty sure they're port authority sub-contractors to Carnival - just like porters and check-in folks.

Carnival is using porters (even though they aren't Carnival employees), Carnival is using X-Ray machines (even though the port owns and runs them), and Carnival is using drug dogs.

They are there, checking Carnival customers, at Carnival's behest.

48 minutes ago, simplelife said:

Also, Carnival is correct that it is NOT legal under US federal law. It is still classified as a controlled substance. It may be legal in some states, but if taken to another state where it is NOT legal, the holder can be prosecuted.

CBD derived from hemp is legal under US federal law - thus under the Supremacy Clause is legal in all US states.

10 minutes ago, aborgman said:

I'm pretty sure they're port authority sub-contractors to Carnival - just like porters and check-in folks.

Carnival is using porters (even though they aren't Carnival employees), Carnival is using X-Ray machines (even though the port owns and runs them), and Carnival is using drug dogs.

They are there, checking Carnival customers, at Carnival's behest.

Pretty sure I know the difference between a rent a cop and a Customs officer, but as you will.

25 minutes ago, aborgman said:

That has absolutely nothing to do with being federally legal or illegal.

Nice obfuscation. There is ONE CBD product that is approved, so your statement is false. Is it a lie?

6 minutes ago, aborgman said:

CBD derived from hemp is legal under US federal law - thus under the Supremacy Clause is legal in all US states.

Again, misleading. Not all CBD is derived from hemp and not being regulated, tested or approved by the FDA or other federal agency means you don't really know what is in your product or its source.

32 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Baloney. Federal law does NOT state ALL CBD is legal.

7 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Pretty sure I know the difference between a rent a cop and a Customs officer, but as you will.

Yes, I do too... and the drug dogs sniffing folks while we were embarking on Mardi Gras in February in Port Canaveral were definitely NOT CBP.

https://www.cbsnews.com/losangeles/news/carnival-cruise-line-to-introduce-drug-sniffing-dogs-security-officers-and-curfew/

"In a video message, Duffy said that customers can now expect more security officers, a 1 a.m. curfew for guests under 15 and these drug-sniffing dogs. Carnival becomes the first cruise line to add them."

"Please meet our new team members"

"Carnival is employing narcotic dogs"

9 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Again, misleading. Not all CBD is derived from hemp and not being regulated, tested or approved by the FDA or other federal agency means you don't really know what is in your product or its source.

Correct... which is also true of you Centrum One-A-Day vitamins, calcium supplements, or a hot dog.

14 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Nice obfuscation. There is ONE CBD product that is approved, so your statement is false. Is it a lie?

There is one CBD based pharmaceutical drug product which is FDA approved.

There are no FDA approved supplements, CBD or otherwise.

Yes, I do too... and the drug dogs sniffing folks while we were embarking on Mardi Gras in February in Port Canaveral were definitely NOT CBP.

Probably true, however CBP also owns and uses dogs. CBP typically is not looking for drugs leaving the country. Other law enforcement agencies also use dogs.

"Carnival is employing narcotic dogs"

They are not employees. Carnival owns them.