Back to back in the Med

Buckeyefan1993

I'm considering back to back cruises in the Med next year. We have done back to back in the Caribbean and had no problems. But that was in Ft Lauderdale and we weren't going to do an excursion there. This one would be in Rome. So my question is: despite people getting on and off the ship in Rome, will they still have excursions going for the ones staying for the next cruise? Seems like a logistical nightmare.

I wouldn’t necessarily take an excursion to Rome for it is a considerable distance from the port of Civitavecchia, and, particularly in the summer, makes a long, hot, and very tiring day. Try a half day wine excursion up in the hills, cooler, relaxing, and you get to see nice countryside.

• Like 1

If I was coming across from Colorado I'd not want to miss out on Rome. It will be mental, but still well worth seeing at least some of it, even if you avoid the Sistine Chapel etc. 

It's also a dead easy one to do independently by train, and you'll never struggle to find wonderful things to see, but a curated tour would guarantee you certain spots and take the worry about getting to and from the ship in time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, King Amo said:

If I was coming across from Colorado I'd not want to miss out on Rome. It will be mental, but still well worth seeing at least some of it, even if you avoid the Sistine Chapel etc. 

It's also a dead easy one to do independently by train, and you'll never struggle to find wonderful things to see, but a curated tour would guarantee you certain spots and take the worry about getting to and from the ship in time. 

But not enough time to enjoy Rome. You would need a few days. And highly hot and stressful. Why put yourself through that? 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I wouldn’t necessarily take an excursion to Rome for it is a considerable distance from the port of Civitavecchia, and, particularly in the summer, makes a long, hot, and very tiring day. Try a half day wine excursion up in the hills, cooler, relaxing, and you get to see nice countryside.

I don’t disagree. I was there on a cruise excursion in August of 2003 and it was over 100 degrees. Totally worth it. The primary reason for this trip is Rome. No chance I’m missing the opportunity to visit the sites with my kids that haven’t been there before. Also, I’m 100% taking a cruise excursion since it’s so far from the port. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But not enough time to enjoy Rome. You would need a few days. And highly hot and stressful. Why put yourself through that? 

Agree a few days would be ideal, but I'm working on the assumption that the OP would not be coming across to Europe too often, so taking the opportunity to see even a small amount is worth it. The thing that marks Rome out above almost anywhere else I know is that around every corner there are absolute marvels to stumble across, so it's not an imperative to hit all of the key spots. 

I guess there could be quite a difference between my level of mobility and that of others, which may also have an impact in my thinking. 

• Like 1

Just now, King Amo said:

Agree a few days would be ideal, but I'm working on the assumption that the OP would not be coming across to Europe too often, so taking the opportunity to see even a small amount is worth it. The thing that marks Rome out above almost anywhere else I know is that around every corner there are absolute marvels to stumble across, so it's not an imperative to hit all of the key spots. 

I guess there could be quite a difference between my level of mobility and that of others, which may also have an impact in my thinking. 

Yup. Considered only a week long cruise and just spend 4 days in Rome. The age old question for travelers: quantity vs quality?

Just now, Buckeyefan1993 said:

I don’t disagree. I was there on a cruise excursion in August of 2003 and it was over 100 degrees. Totally worth it. The primary reason for this trip is Rome. No chance I’m missing the opportunity to visit the sites with my kids that haven’t been there before. Also, I’m 100% taking a cruise excursion since it’s so far from the port. 

Your choice of course, but speaking as a classicist, I just wouldn’t bother, as it would be too much effort. Which month? A cooler one might make a difference.

2 minutes ago, King Amo said:

And Rome is a complete nightmare for the construction industry, as every new building is underpinned by Roman ones. I agree Rome is wonderful, just not worth getting hot, tired and stressed for. But where is?

It's Jubilee Year in Rome in 2025.  It will be rammed as a result.  A lot of hotels are already well filled and prices are very high as a result.

It is extremely important to Catholics.  One point of interest is that the Shroud of Turin is meant to be in Rome in May/June so might be worth looking into.

https://eurocities.eu/stories/rome-prepares-for-the-jubilee-of-hope-in-2025/

Edited by Megabear2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, exlondoner said:

And Rome is a complete nightmare for the construction industry, as every new building is underpinned by Roman ones. I agree Rome is wonderful, just not worth getting hot, tired and stressed for. But where is?

Once the kids are out of the house in a few years, it'll be different. We've already seen a lot of places. Eventually, we'll be into immersive vacations after the kids move out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

It's Jubilee Year in Rome in 2025.  It will be rammed as a result.  A lot of hotels are already well filled and prices are very high as a result.

It is extremely important to Catholics.  One point of interest is that the Shroud of Turin is meant to be in Rome in May/June so might be worth looking into.

https://eurocities.eu/stories/rome-prepares-for-the-jubilee-of-hope-in-2025/

That would be AMAZING!!! Thanks for the tip! Guess that makes my decision easier. I'll stick to the back to back and plan the excursion early.

• Like 1

You can enjoy Roma in a day if you pick your spots... although the most important thing is where to lunch and we have our favourite before or after shopping on the Corso. We've done the Cunard Rome on your Own excursion by coach and train.  Both work but if you want to see the Vatican, the train is way better.  Coliseum etc, the coach is best. 

BUT... time is not the issue here... it's subway construction and Linea C is an absolute nightmare for gli turisti with the heart of Roma from the Coliseum to the Piazza Venezia a construction site and much of the Via Imperiale obscured with plywood walls.  Oh, and they promise it will completed by...mid 2025. I'd be astonished if it were but.... until then, what most consider the heart of Imperial Roma is.... a mess. 

That and the aforementioned Jubilee Year and yes... if it's your first time to see Roma, you gotta do what you gotta do but if not.... I'd avoid it, con piacere. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

You can enjoy Roma in a day if you pick your spots... although the most important thing is where to lunch and we have our favourite before or after shopping on the Corso. We've done the Cunard Rome on your Own excursion by coach and train.  Both work but if you want to see the Vatican, the train is way better.  Coliseum etc, the coach is best. 

BUT... time is not the issue here... it's subway construction and Linea C is an absolute nightmare for gli turisti with the heart of Roma from the Coliseum to the Piazza Venezia a construction site and much of the Via Imperiale obscured with plywood walls.  Oh, and they promise it will completed by...mid 2025. I'd be astonished if it were but.... until then, what most consider the heart of Imperial Roma is.... a mess. 

That and the aforementioned Jubilee Year and yes... if it's your first time to see Roma, you gotta do what you gotta do but if not.... I'd avoid it, con piacere. 

Great information! Appreciate the insight. I'm going to have to hope for the best. With this trip being 9 months away, hopefully the tour buses will have an idea of how best to handle the construction issues. If not, it is what it is. Key spots for us will be the Vatican, Coliseum, Pantheon and the Forum. Last time I was there, we had to choose between the historical side or the religious side. We chose the historical side. While I don't regret our decision, I would like to see the Vatican. The others mentioned are for my kids who haven't been there. Hopefully, we have the opportunity to see all of these on a single excursion and don't have to choose.

3 minutes ago, Buckeyefan1993 said:

Great information! Appreciate the insight. I'm going to have to hope for the best. With this trip being 9 months away, hopefully the tour buses will have an idea of how best to handle the construction issues. If not, it is what it is. Key spots for us will be the Vatican, Coliseum, Pantheon and the Forum. Last time I was there, we had to choose between the historical side or the religious side. We chose the historical side. While I don't regret our decision, I would like to see the Vatican. The others mentioned are for my kids who haven't been there. Hopefully, we have the opportunity to see all of these on a single excursion and don't have to choose.

If there is one thing worth seeing, it’s the Pantheon, and it’s often strangely tranquil, unlike the others. 

• Like 2

It's a funny city... some parts of it are so swarmed with milling mobs of tourists to be a total turn off, and yet whole gorgeous hunks of it are delightfully uncrowded... We spent an astonishing two days exploring it... in the same "two chunks" you suggest in April 2001 aboard Renaissance Cruise's R7 (later Oceania) and it was oddly deserted, we literally wandered into the Coliseum, Vatican Museum etc. with nary a queue and crowd. And know that will never happen again so content to have "seen it."  Sometimes it's best "not to go back"!!   

But yes... if you stick to the Vatican area, DO take the train from Civitavecchia that goes right to the train station at the Vatican.  Everything is walking thereafter so no traffic and no city bus pickpockets (!).  Cunard offers this train as a "Rome on your Own" tour btw.  The station there can be a mob scene if on your own sourcing tickets so we just did the Cunard one and avoided it all. 

• Like 1

Rome may be a busy place next year. 2025 will be a year long Vatican Jubilee and they are expecting 35 million pilgrims. With that said, we are on on the QV cruise next May that disembarks in Civitavecchia. We still are still planning to spend 3 days in Rome but, having been there twice before, will be staying and visiting in more off the beaten path areas. 

• Like 1

If Civitavecchia port is anything like it was this week then don't even think about trying to go by train on your own - by the time you get to the station it will be time to go back to the ship.

1 hour ago, Buckeyefan1993 said:

Key spots for us will be the Vatican, Coliseum, Pantheon and the Forum.

I'm not sure that you will find an excursion that will visit all of those sites in one day as they are somewhat spread out and with the restrictions on where coaches can go in Rome it makes transport somewhat difficult.

One other suggestion is to arrange a private tour which will give more time and flexibility - OK at a cost but you can be picked up at the ship, whisked through all the traffic, have your personal guide taking you to where you want to go without all the queues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

It's a funny city... some parts of it are so swarmed with milling mobs of tourists to be a total turn off, and yet whole gorgeous hunks of it are delightfully uncrowded... We spent an astonishing two days exploring it... in the same "two chunks" you suggest in April 2001 aboard Renaissance Cruise's R7 (later Oceania) and it was oddly deserted, we literally wandered into the Coliseum, Vatican Museum etc. with nary a queue and crowd. And know that will never happen again so content to have "seen it."  Sometimes it's best "not to go back"!!   

But yes... if you stick to the Vatican area, DO take the train from Civitavecchia that goes right to the train station at the Vatican.  Everything is walking thereafter so no traffic and no city bus pickpockets (!).  Cunard offers this train as a "Rome on your Own" tour btw.  The station there can be a mob scene if on your own sourcing tickets so we just did the Cunard one and avoided it all. 

Perfect! Thank you!

Just thought I’d throw my three cents into this. 

We took a HAL day trip into Rome so my kids could see it for themselves. I’d already done a land tour of Italy so it was more important for them to see it than me. 

I would absolutely recommend a ship’s tour as they got us to all the sights with a fantastic guide and bypassing all the lines you would encounter if you did it on your own. 

We had a tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel as well as the colosseum; had lunch included and a tour of the city to see the rest of the sights. It was well worth the money and came without the stress you would feel on your own. Oh, and we did it in July!

I know you will have a wonderful time sharing this with your kids!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Just thought I’d throw my three cents into this. 

We took a HAL day trip into Rome so my kids could see it for themselves. I’d already done a land tour of Italy so it was more important for them to see it than me. 

I would absolutely recommend a ship’s tour as they got us to all the sights with a fantastic guide and bypassing all the lines you would encounter if you did it on your own. 

We had a tour of the Vatican and Sistine Chapel as well as the colosseum; had lunch included and a tour of the city to see the rest of the sights. It was well worth the money and came without the stress you would feel on your own. Oh, and we did it in July!

I know you will have a wonderful time sharing this with your kids!

Thank you for your 3 cents. I am really looking forward to the trip. I will always take excursions from the ship. Less worry and stress.

• Like 2