Refund of deposit

Having checked previous thread on this, I can’t seem to find the complete answer to my query, so hoping someone with experience of this can help. I may need to cancel a booked voyage on Vista sailing 3 June 2025.  In the Oceania terms it states an admin fee charge of $150 pp, but does not mention forfeiture of deposit. My TA is saying Oceania will not refund the deposit plus we will be charged a yet to be determined admin fee. Please can anyone point me to the relevant part of the terms which sets out losing the deposit. The cancellation will take place prior to full balance due date. 

The terms and conditions with the dates are set out on your Oceania invoice. There is a sliding scale of charges starting with $150 pp and finishing with the full 100% of the cost of the cruise. The fees will be taken out of the deposit first and then if you owe any more you will have to pay that to Oceania. The deposit per se is not forfeited.

• Like 2

Check your invoice. Let's see if this will work. 

181 days or more prior to departure           $150.00 per person

180 to 151 days prior to departure             $500.00 per person

150 to 121 days prior to departure             25% of full fare

120 to 91 days prior to departure               50% of full fare

90 to 61 days prior to departure                 75% of full fare

60 days or less prior to departure               100% of full fare 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Cruisedreamer1 said:

I understand their wanting to charge if one cancels but what is unsettling is that the corporation wants their final payment sooner now a days! I guess it's due to Covid and lost revenue.

It's still better than Viking which want full payment 12 months before sailing. If you have a valid booking on file, a second one may be reduced to 6 months.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2024 at 4:26 AM, 8611202 said:

Having checked previous thread on this, I can’t seem to find the complete answer to my query, so hoping someone with experience of this can help. I may need to cancel a booked voyage on Vista sailing 3 June 2025.  In the Oceania terms it states an admin fee charge of $150 pp, but does not mention forfeiture of deposit. My TA is saying Oceania will not refund the deposit plus we will be charged a yet to be determined admin fee. Please can anyone point me to the relevant part of the terms which sets out losing the deposit. The cancellation will take place prior to full balance due date. 

On 9/20/2024 at 4:26 AM, 8611202 said:

What type of cabin….26 days? Limited availability…maybe work something out.

Please tell us what country you booked in? In other words, are you in the US? UK? other country? It can make a difference. 
Let’s try this. When you paid your deposit, presumably by credit card, did the credit card charge state the vendor/payee was Oceania, or your TA? The refund back to you should be using the same method of payment used to make your deposit.
I wonder if your TA is trying to hold onto your deposit?

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

My guess is you are in UK, correct?  If so, it is a different ball game than most of us experience in the US. Some cruisers like Harters can answer your questions better. Good luck.

Mauibabes

I’m in the UK and answered above. The only difference here is that we pay in pounds £150, £500 etc.whereas you pay in dollars $150 etc.!

12 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

did the credit card charge state the vendor/payee was Oceania, or your TA?

As yet, we don't know where the OP has booked this cruise but, at the guess that they are in the UK, payment will have been to the TA's account because that's how it works here.

As already mentioned, Oceania's terms and conditions are set out in the contract and, also, on Oceania's website. Bear in mind, assuming the OP is British, that care needs to be taken with advice offered on the forum. Most contributors are American and the terms and conditions that may apply to them, can be different for Britons as our contract with Oceania is governed by English law. For example, our terms include the protection under the Package Travel Directive. This link is to Oceania's terms for British customers and you'll find the cancellation charges at Paragraph 9a

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/sites/default/files/2024-06/Oceania Ticket Contract_UK.pdf

It should be straightforward to work out what is due on cancellation, And, of course, then straightforward to work out if your agent is trying to screw more out of you. As Vallesan has mentioned. cancellation charges would first be deducted from your deposit, so that may be soaking up the money paid

If you eventually decide that you are not cancelling, maybe we'll meet on board Vista on 3/6. 😀

Edited by Harters

In a perfect world, it would be nice if Oceania still followed their posted cancellation schedule, but if they were able to fill the cabin, they would refund X% of the cancellation fee.

If you didnt have good trip insurance and had to cancel within 60 days of a cruise, why bother.  There is no benefit to yourself and if you do, Oceania will try and resell the cabin (I assume).

21 hours ago, taiwan_girl said:

In a perfect world, it would be nice if Oceania still followed their posted cancellation schedule, but if they were able to fill the cabin, they would refund X% of the cancellation fee.

If you didnt have good trip insurance and had to cancel within 60 days of a cruise, why bother.  There is no benefit to yourself and if you do, Oceania will try and resell the cabin (I assume).

What happens when two GTY cabins cancel, thus two cabins are available. The cruiseline is able to fill one cabin. Who gets the refund? 
I’m under the impression that UK cruisers have a similar protection to what you are suggesting. This comes at a cost to all cruisers in the UK in the form of higher prices.