Is there still a need to arrive early

cb2367

Previously, I used to arrive at the cruise port early to get an early boarding group number (not yet in the higher tier categories that are automatically announced for boarding). Once in board, I'd head for the theater and make show reservations.

Now with specialty dining included and with being able to book some shows ahead of time, is there really a need to arrive early to get an early boarding group number?

Just trying to plan for a future cruise.

3 hours ago, mexicobob said:

I prefer to board late. No lines and much calmer. 

We have kids.  We board late, we disembark late.  It's so much calmer.  Disney runs a bunch of 3 and 4 day cruises, and for that I can understand that boarding early makes sense since there's so many kids activities and on a short cruise you'd want to get there early to take advantage of everything.  But on a standard weeklong cruise, I think its fine to get there late but a lot of cruisers like to get there early because they want to be able to eat lunch on the ship.

Edited by kitkat343

I like to get there late so we can walk right on with no wait. And really it's not super late...getting to the pier about noon and the initial rush has died down and already on the ship. We'll be doing this exact thing in March when we sail from San Juan. Much more relaxing way to start a cruise for me.

No need to board early unless you want to.  I like to have lunch in the MDR so I try to get on as early as I can which is not that early since I am only Silver.  Also like to have as much time on board to relax and enjoy the pool deck the first day.

We were early to NYC a few weeks ago and we were able to board at 10:45 am!

No real need to other than being excited! 

Wandered around,  made a few reservation changes and had lunch at the MDR. Nice and relaxing!

Our rooms were called at 1:00 pm and our luggage was there!

Very relaxing way to start our cruise!