dockworkers strike

suec12

It was announced a short time ago that a tentative agreement has been reached. Dock Workers will be going back to work & in January will resume negotiations 👍

8 minutes ago, LJJQ said:

It was announced a short time ago that a tentative agreement has been reached. Dock Workers will be going back to work & in January will resume negotiations 👍

The strike is on hold until after the election -- How convenient.  🤪

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

And now goods will cost even more...  The workers just got a 62% raise.  😇 Perhaps we are in the wrong business ...

The raise is over six years and the shippers have been making super profits. The raises were easy. The other issues won’t be as easy to settle. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Wineaux007 said:

The strike is on hold until after the election -- How convenient.  🤪

Those were my thoughts. The WH didn’t seem too concerned when the strike began. 

Edited by Charles4515

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

The raise is over six years and the shippers have been making super profits. The raises were easy. The other issues won’t be as easy to settle. 

That is well over 10% a year.  Perhaps we should all go on strike 😉  Typical COLA is around 3%...

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)

The good news is that anyone can become a longshoreman! Want the pay they get? Join them and get crackin'! 

I'm not sure I'd want to move to the areas they work, but I bet if I dug a little deeper, I could find a few places near work that I liked.  

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

The good news is that anyone can become a longshoreman! Want the pay they get? Join them and get crackin'

It is not easy to get work as a longshoreman. The work may not be steady. Only those who have high seniority work steady or get the overtime. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

It is not easy to get work as a longshoreman. The work may not be steady. Only those who have high seniority work steady or get the overtime. 

Of course.  I wouldn't expect these folks are getting a hand-out, right? They joined a profession, put in the time and effort, and now are getting compensated for - one assumes - years (or decades) of time and energy.  

But, it's open to all, if they make the effort too.  IOW - if folks want sporadic or predictable pay raises - some big, some small - then they can CHOOSE to work their way up as a longshoreman whatever the full process may be.

Edited by Tom and Ingrid
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Tom and Ingrid said:

Of course.  I wouldn't expect these folks are getting a hand-out, right? They joined a profession, put in the time and effort, and now are getting compensated for - one assumes - years (or decades) of time and energy.  

But, it's open to all, if they make the effort too.  IOW - if folks want sporadic or predictable pay raises - some big, some small - then they can CHOOSE to work their way up as a longshoreman whatever the full process may be.

That is generally right. If they can get hired, that is not an easy hurdle, then it last on the job, they will gain enough seniority to have steady employment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrisonkid said:

All I know is if wages go up the products that comes in Will rise in cost to the buyers ..so buy as much as you can now before the increases happen… and enjoy

The federal reserve blames a lot of it on wage inflation.  That is what we are seeing...

Can't buy a new house or car due to the crazy rates ...

2 minutes ago, jwlane said:

You FUNNY!  What were mortgage rates 40 years ago?

13.87 for a 30-year fixed conventional mortgage...

According to HUD.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, markeb said:

13.87 for a 30-year fixed conventional mortgage...

According to HUD.

Ah yes,  we have not been this muffed up for 40 years.  Do we not learn???

#1 high and #2 high ...

Or #1 clown and #2 clown.

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

The federal reserve blames a lot of it on wage inflation.  That is what we are seeing...

Can't buy a new house or car due to the crazy rates ...

Prices don’t go up because wages increase. Wages increase because of inflation. Inflation has been caused by increases in the money supply. The government has been printing more money. 

Edited by Charles4515

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Prices don’t go up because wage increases. Wages increase because of inflation. Inflation has been caused by increases in the money supply. The government has been printing money. 

I agree somewhat... But they were also sending checks to people who had no desire to work...

Inflation occurs due to an overheating economy.  We saw people day trading AMC stock vs. working .....

The young were not working but the old were.  This is what I observed during many vacations.

Edited by NMTraveller

Just now, NMTraveller said:

I agree somewhat... But they were also sending checks to people who had not desire to work...

And there were people who hadn't spent money for close to 2 years during the pandemic and had a lot of it to spend. See also: cruise pricing. 

If there's more money regardless of the reason than goods available to buy, prices go up. And if there's more demand for workers than workers, regardless of the reason, wages increase. And here we are.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, markeb said:

And there were people who hadn't spent money for close to 2 years during the pandemic and had a lot of it to spend. See also: cruise pricing. 

If there's more money regardless of the reason than goods available to buy, prices go up. And if there's more demand for workers than workers, regardless of the reason, wages increase. And here we are.

A small percentage.... That is why you get inflation...

It is all about the larger trends,  not the small small ones.

Sooner or later the party ends that leads to inflation ...

Edited by NMTraveller

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, markeb said:

According to HUD.

It was a rhetorical question (I knew!  bought 1st house in '83).  They just think it's bad now.

Edited by jwlane
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, jwlane said:

It was a rhetorical question (I knew!  bought 1st house in '83).  They just think it's bad now.

You would have refinanced your mortgage.  I am not sure that you will ever get 3% again ...