MSC Virtuosa now - itinerary change

NewWestwardbound

Captain announced just before 1800  (local) departure from Valencia that due to forecast bad weather off Portugal (Lisbon) and the Bay of Biscay, MSC Virtuosa would be calling at Cartagena tomorrow and then sailing direct to Southampton, arriving Sat 12 Oct. 

Original itinerary:

Tue 8 Oct At Sea

Wed 9 Oct Lisbon 

Thu 10 Oct At Sea

Fri 11 Oct At Sea

Sat 12 Oct Southampton 

New itinerary:

Tue 8 Oct Cartagena

Wed 9 Oct At Sea

Thu 10 Oct At Sea

Fri 11 Oct At Sea

Sat 12 Oct Southampton 

Sensible plan.   No predicting how sea behaves, let alone that bit outside Lisbon and the BoB.   Is Chris Pugh still the Master at the moment?

Safe sailing to Virtuosa and her passengers and crew back to Southampton.

Letter from the Captain delivered to our cabin last night shows arrival in Southampton at 0700 local time on Sat 12 Oct, on schedule, I will try to keep this thread updated - connectivity permitting - if anything significant changes. 

On 10/7/2024 at 12:37 PM, NewWestwardbound said:

Captain announced just before 1800  (local) departure from Valencia that due to forecast bad weather off Portugal (Lisbon) and the Bay of Biscay, MSC Virtuosa would be calling at Cartagena tomorrow and then sailing direct to Southampton, arriving Sat 12 Oct. 

Original itinerary:

Tue 8 Oct At Sea

Wed 9 Oct Lisbon 

Thu 10 Oct At Sea

Fri 11 Oct At Sea

Sat 12 Oct Southampton 

New itinerary:

Tue 8 Oct Cartagena

Wed 9 Oct At Sea

Thu 10 Oct At Sea

Fri 11 Oct At Sea

Sat 12 Oct Southampton 

Hi, how are you holding up? It looks like the Virtuosa is experience sees over 6 meters and I am curious how the ship is handling it and how it is to experience it on board.  Hang in there and hope all is well.

We had an excellent day in Cartagena leaving early Tuesday evening, passed Gibraltar and north towards Lisbon. The evening shows went ahead last night (Wednesday) though - I understand - with reduced dancing. The ride has been  a little “bouncy” under mainly blue skies, but other than a few “creaks” in the cabin I don’t really have much to report - so must be good!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NewWestwardbound said:

We had an excellent day in Cartagena leaving early Tuesday evening, passed Gibraltar and north towards Lisbon. The evening shows went ahead last night (Wednesday) though - I understand - with reduced dancing. The ride has been  a little “bouncy” under mainly blue skies, but other than a few “creaks” in the cabin I don’t really have much to report - so must be good!

I haven't personally been in anything more than a Force 6 on Virtuosa, but have read and heard plenty comments that she copes very well in "weather".   When I last looked on MT, you had Iona just behind you.   Hopefully everything is okay on board her too.

58 minutes ago, HalifaxYorksCruiser said:

Looks like you were 3 hours late docking this morning. Hope it doesn’t affect disembarkations. 

Had a relative phone me this morning at 08:45 .They were still waiting to disembark 

a delay caused by ,person overboard incident in the early hours.

image.png.bec9accb093bd887ef805d23ad86b507.png

36 minutes ago, kalos said:

Had a relative phone me this morning at 08:45 .They were still waiting to disembark 

a delay caused by ,person overboard incident in the early hours.

image.png.bec9accb093bd887ef805d23ad86b507.png

I hope all is okay.   The tracking picture shows quite a tight turn, in a busy shipping channel, for such a huge ship

Sorry that it was a sad ending. I wondered why Virtuosa did a sudden slow down and tight turn. It was chaotic at the terminal as passengers were still being picked up at 12 noon when new passengers were trying to drop off. After drop my wife off I exited via City terminal and parked at West Quay. City terminal was very quiet despite Apex being docked. In future I will drop off at City terminal if Horizon looks busy. 

On 10/7/2024 at 5:37 PM, NewWestwardbound said:

I Hope you complained at guest services, and demanded a full refund and 200% FCC...