NCL deal with the NHL...Stock price soars

11 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

TBS, we have enjoyed the OBC SH perk and hope to continue to do so more often!

We have an upcoming 15 day cruise in February. Normally the stockholder OBC for 15 days is $250.

However, I recall reading somewhere that they won't give OBC on discounted fares.

Our TA got us a "group fare", which ended up being a savings of about $600...plus $100 refundable OBC.

Something tells me we won't be seeing the $250 when I get around to applying for it.

Any recommendations for a good company from which to purchase stock? I'd be interested in buying 100 shares, but have no experience directly buying stocks. (I have a 401(k) but that's managed by a fund manager.) Thanks!

29 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Any recommendations for a good company from which to purchase stock? I'd be interested in buying 100 shares, but have no experience directly buying stocks. (I have a 401(k) but that's managed by a fund manager.) Thanks!

Webull is an easy app to use for small purchases.  It’s also where I created My Watchlist so I can easily watch the market and certain stock movements real-time.  The actual transactions are handled through Apex Clearing. Go yo their website to read more.  Webull.com

Also if you download the app, go to Menu on left and read through FAQ on how the site works.  It’s fairly intuitive..at least I thought so snd I had little knowledge before using it.

Edited by laudergayle
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

Actually, I wasn't joshing. But whatever caused the uptick, I'm all for it.

SCHMOOOOOOPIE!!!!! 

48 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

Hope they start showing Hockey reruns on the at sea sports channel in place of the non stop soccer that is usually on 24/7.  It would make sense now that they are the official cruise line sponsor of ice hockey?

Excuse you! I want my soccer, thank you very much. I'll allow one hockey game a day in lieu of that oval-shaped ball that's not much kicked with a foot. 🏒

45 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

This should read:  NCL has abandoned its “quality at all costs”.  

I'm so sad to read this...as I suspect you may be correct. 

31 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

You might be surprised.

Yep...color me surprised.

Edited by cruiseny4life
  • Like 4

They were probably turned down by the NFL, MLB, and NBA, I think MLS was their 5th choice and then the PBA 6th ( on e of my favorites).

I doubt they even show NHL games on NCL cruises- its been near impossible getting baseball on them and usually jusst the NFL games can be a struggle when there is soccer on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Well, NCLH just went up a lot so it's a "hot" stock.  I would buy that one!

disclaimer: that would be an awful approach to buying individual stocks.  My real suggestion?  Buy 100 shares of VTI, go cruising and forget about it.  Short version?  "VTI and chill"

Edited by ChiefMateJRK
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

disclaimer: that would be an awful approach to buying individual stocks.  My real suggestion?  Buy 100 shares of VTI, go cruising and forget about it.  Short version?  "VTI and chill"

Best advice I've seen on here when purchasing for the long term

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cruiseny4life said:

Best advice I've seen on here when purchasing for the long term

Yeah, that's the strategy embraced by the vast majority of "smart" individual US investors (i.e. Bogleheads).  The only real debate is "domestic vs. foreign."  Like "Ford vs. Chevy," that one will never be resolved.🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gknep said:

I don't know about the stock, but I'd be careful about standing in the wrong place if they bring slap shot contests into the atrium.

Maybe they'll show "Slap Shot" the movie!  I mean, after all it is a Paul Newman film.  The ladies should like that, right? 🤣

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, UKstages said:

curiously, the announcement that the NHL is now the official cruise line of NCL never mentioned "hash browns." but i have a strong feeling this means that "hockey pucks" will soon return.

oh, happy day. 

Or adding Canadian Bacon.

Labatt's Blue on tap.

Yukon Jack at the whisky bar.

Eskimo pies for ice cream.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

totally! plus VTI is embedded into some target date funds

• Like 2

5 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

We have an upcoming 15 day cruise in February. Normally the stockholder OBC for 15 days is $250.

However, I recall reading somewhere that they won't give OBC on discounted fares.

Our TA got us a "group fare", which ended up being a savings of about $600...plus $100 refundable OBC.

Something tells me we won't be seeing the $250 when I get around to applying for it.

A group booking SHOULD qualify. I've only done it on FIT bookings, but according to the TA help site terms:

• This offer is applicable to FS Groups: AFFINITY, NETTOUR and NETTOURC (classification type).

These group types give like 15% off de[ending on when they were created.

2 minutes ago, HowardK said:

Sure.  But what is the ER you pay to have somebody else invest X% into VTI and 100-X% into BND?

disclaimer: I don't invest fixed income assets into any index funds.  I buy individual treasuries (generally TIPS) at auction and hold to maturity.

1 hour ago, HowardK said:

@ChiefMateJRK  @HowardK

All @DCGuy64 wanted to do is buy his 100 shares of NCLH so he can enjoy the OBC we all brag about.  And, he is already invested in a managed fund.   What’s up with giving him long-term investment advice? Geesh y’all.

the terms for this shareholder benefit stipulate that it "excludes reduced rate programs (e.g. employee rates, interline, friends /family rates, vendor rates, cruises taken via cruise credit certificate, or free cruises earned through oceania cruises loyalty benefits), and travel agent rates, and charters.

they don't mention CAS comps or reduced rates.

anybody know if you get the shareholder benefit if you booked through CAS?

14 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the terms for this shareholder benefit stipulate that it "excludes reduced rate programs (e.g. employee rates, interline, friends /family rates, vendor rates, cruises taken via cruise credit certificate, or free cruises earned through oceania cruises loyalty benefits), and travel agent rates, and charters.

they don't mention CAS comps or reduced rates.

anybody know if you get the shareholder benefit if you booked through CAS?

Every booking through CAS has qualified for me.

• Thanks 1