Curious charge to my credit card

My credit card statement shows a small (41 USD) charge, debited the day of dimbarkation. This is surprising, as my account was clear and showing a fair amount of onboard credit.  I don't suppose it's worth thinking about such a trivial sum, but I am curious. Does anyone have any ideas?

In our case, the account was wrong anyway, however the total amount included Molton Brown products. We didnt take them home with us, or use much because it didnt suit me and brought me out in a rash! We certainly didnt bring it home.

We didnt realise we would be charged. Seabourn are refunding, they agreed it wasnt at all on any signage clear whether it was chargeable or not. We didnt see any signage!

Seemed a bit sharp charging it but not informing you, not getting any kind of signature and it wasnt on the pre departure invoice.

Dont know if this was your issue, but it might helpHope this might help!

Two weeks ago, at the beginning of the second leg of a back-to-back on Quest, a similar charge was placed on our credit card.  IIRC, it was also ~ $40.  It actually was a hold, not a charge, and was removed several days later.  When I checked my credit card app, it showed a pending transaction, which later disappeared.  I mentioned it to Guest Services and they gave me a benign explanation, in one ear and out my other ear, no big deal.  I'm just puzzled why they did it on the back leg of our B2B and not the front leg.

• Like 1

It doesn't appear to be a hold.  It is definitely a charge and a small exchange fee is added.

I think that Tony might be right. There was an array of Molton Brown products when we boarded and I took one shower gel to use, assuming that it was for our use, and left it on our departure.. There was no mention of a price. That might be an explanation, but if it is, it doesn't seem fair.

This is confusing. Are recent cruisers saying that SB now charges guests for using the provided shower gel whilst onboard? I know they charge if a guest takes it home with them (started around December 2019 when the large bottles were introduced) but to charge for using a provided shower gel is odd. Is an alternate shower gel now provided which is complimentary, but the MB is charged?

Am I missing smething here? 

10 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

This is confusing. Are recent cruisers saying that SB now charges guests for using the provided shower gel whilst onboard? I know they charge if a guest takes it home with them (started around December 2019 when the large bottles were introduced) but to charge for using a provided shower gel is odd. Is an alternate shower gel now provided which is complimentary, but the MB is charged?

Am I missing smething here? 

It is confusing Isklaar.  We only used what was provided in the shower---not the large unopened bottles that were sitting on the bathroom countertop when we arrived onboard.  We set them aside in a different area.  It is unclear if they are included or not---so we just didn't use them.  The shower gel provided in the shower was MB.  Soap was also provided.  The large bottles we left alone were various scents.  

Edited by SLSD
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SLSD said:

It is confusing Isklaar.  We only used what was provided in the shower---not the large unopened bottles that were sitting on the bathroom countertop when we arrived onboard.  We set them aside in a different area.  It is unclear if they are included or not---so we just didn't use them.  The shower gel provided in the shower was MB.  Soap was also provided.  The large bottles were left alone were various scents.  

Thank you for this explanation. I have no idea when we will be able to cruise again but this new policy would very likely catch me out! I hope I don't forget before our next cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SLSD said:

It is unclear if they are included or not---so we just didn't use them.  The shower gel provided in the shower was MB.  Soap was also provided.  The large bottles we left alone were various scents.  

We’ve always used them while onboard since they were rolled out and have never been charged. We usually try all four before settling on a favorite that stays in the shower. We have occasionally bought the MB products in the gift shop, as we like them and the pricing is good, but would have noticed if we were charged for what was provided in the room. Just checked my last few statements and don’t see any charge.   

Stumped as to what the ~$40 charge would be; either incorrectly charging for taking one of the MB bottles, or a transfer from the ship.  Otherwise not sure what else could be charged.  

Edited by johng75370

On our last two SB cruises, there were four gels sitting on the counter by the foot of the bed. The last time there was a note, but don't recall if there was one the first time. First time, I asked for them to be removed, but the attendants just put them on the corners of the tub. So, this last recent time, I just put them there myself to make space.

You will have dispensers for your use with shampoo, conditioner, gel and lotion, all with pumps for dispensing.

• Like 1

It was certainly charged if you used the bottles...not the refillable in the shower etc, or the soap! When I queried it, it was confirmed that's what the charge was for, however it was also accepted it was very confusing. I thought it was to encourage sales from on board..

I would query it and they will probably refund you as they have agreed to with me.

• Thanks 1

I really think that this is a clever maneuver by Seabourn to make some profit.  I'm not a cynical person and usually see the best in everyone (including Seabourn), but I could just see this ploy coming when I saw the four large bottles of Molton Brown on the bathroom counter--with NO explanation.  Anyone who used them would be totally innocent in thinking that they were included amenities.  

• Like 1

We’re all friends here, and hoping no one rats me out 🫣.  I will be on notice next time.

But checked and we’ve done 7 SB sailings from 2021 onwards (when I think they started this “offering”) and have never seen this charge at the end of the voyage, and have not held back in trying the soaps.  @Tony UK I am sorry for what you had to struggle with SB overall, and to have this charge also is not very nice.  I’ll be back onboard next month and will ask if this was something recent, or if there are reasons it may have been waived before.  But thanks for letting me know I’m not as innocent as I thought 😇

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, johng75370 said:

We’re all friends here, and hoping no one rats me out 🫣.  I will be on notice next time.

But checked and we’ve done 7 SB sailings from 2021 onwards and have never seen this charge at the end of the voyage, and have not held back in trying the soaps.  @Tony UK I am sorry for what you had to struggle with SB overall, and to have this charge also is not very nice.  I’ll be back onboard next month and will ask if this was something recent, or if there are reasons it may have been waived before.  But thanks for letting me know I’m not as innocent as I thought 😇

John, I don't think this about the soaps offered on a tray by the suite attendant.  She encouraged me to choose several--and these are clearly included.  Of course shower gel is also "soap" and maybe that is what you are referring to.  THAT's where you need to be careful.  Use what is provided inside the shower--the rest of the bottles on the counter are likely to be at an extra cost.  

16 minutes ago, SLSD said:

John, I don't think this about the soaps offered on a tray by the suite attendant.  She encouraged me to choose several--and these are clearly included. 

Agreed; in fact I think when they dropped the “soaps on a tray when you embark” is around when they started offering the selection of 4 large MB bottles.  Or close enough that in my mind it was a swap of sorts.  Was delighted when they brought back the soap selection (we buy the sea loofa one on Amazon for home), but just never thought the larger MB selection was a “for-charge” item - but now I do!  If I tried all 4 would I be charged 4x? (Yikes!)

Cunard for Queens Grill suites would offer a complimentary “scent library” sampler from Penthaglion; maybe SB could collaborate with MB for something similar.  

Edited by johng75370
  • Like 3

I’m quite sure I have seen the notice that is placed directly in front of the 4 MB bottles. It says something to the effect of : “ these are complimentary for your use while on board, if you would like to take them home then you will be charged”. So I totally don’t understand why someone would be charged for their use without them taking them home?  And if they are partially used, then what do they do with the leftovers…refill them?? That doesn’t seem sanitary.  You’d have to be onboard for many, many nights to use up those large bottles. So the whole concept of having such large bottles baffles me!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sunprince said:

I’m quite sure I have seen the notice that is placed directly in front of the 4 MB bottles. It says something to the effect of : “ these are complimentary for your use while on board, if you would like to take them home then you will be charged”. So I totally don’t understand why someone would be charged for their use without them taking them home?  And if they are partially used, then what do they do with the leftovers…refill them?? That doesn’t seem sanitary.  You’d have to be onboard for many, many nights to use up those large bottles. So the whole concept of having such large bottles baffles me!

There was no such notice with the bottles in our bathroom.  And there was shower gel provided in the shower.  These bottles made no sense to me--and they were quite large.  

I am on Seabourn end of the month and I will double check this. But I have been onboard in May and used all the MB gels with no charge. I very much doubt they are now putting products in bathrooms and charging for use, unless you take the big bottles home.

I was going to let the matter drop, not wanting to be thought a cheapskate for such a small sum. However I think it's now important for me to query the charge, as it has raised a fair number of questions. Which is the best email address to use? The statement shows Seabourn Encore Seattle Wa.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, galeforce9 said:

Those molten brown bottles are only charged if you take them away. They are free whilst you are on board. 

This was the case last time we were on SB, but it's been years now, so it's good to know that it hasn't changed.

10 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

This was the case last time we were on SB, but it's been years now, so it's good to know that it hasn't changed.

It was three weeks ago anyway 😀. Hope you get back on board soon. We were doubtful but with the last cruise Dec 2019 we thought we’d give it another go and weren’t disappointed. 

• Thanks 1

If you are talking about the 4 transparent MB shower gel bottles that are normally left on the shelves next to the vanity, these are definitely free of charge to use onboard and chargable if removed. Quite frankly I don't see why anyone would take them as they are opened (no plastic cap), used, and rather large bottles. There was definitley a notice next to them to the effect that a charge would be applied to your account if they were removed, which i found to be a little tacky. 

I normally pick one bottle to relocate to the shower (as I find these to be better quality than the products in the white opague bottles) and one next to the sink to use as hand soap. Everything else, I put aside in the far corner of the tub (which also never gets used) or with the extra TP.

I do find it a little strange that SB offers a selection of 5 different shower gels in the bathroom, which is unheard of in luxury hotels, but it takes 2 seconds to put them away, so not something I would bother to complain about!

Edited by B-HQC

No we didnt take the bottles home. We tried a little from each. We were charged 25USD for each bottle of shampoo, and 36.25USD for body lotion.

Seabourn have agreed to refund the charge. They tell me that the larger bottles are put in your suite as an intensive to purchase. There should have been a card saying they are NOT complimentary. The refillable bottles ....ours were white, are for your use.

From what some of you are saying, it sounds like there might have been a change of policy since some of you have sailed. Maybe check with your room attendant so you are clear about charges.

5 minutes ago, Tony UK said:

No we didnt take the bottles home. We tried a little from each. We were charged 25USD for each bottle of shampoo, and 36.25USD for body lotion.

Seabourn have agreed to refund the charge. They tell me that the larger bottles are put in your suite as an intensive to purchase. There should have been a card saying they are NOT complimentary. The refillable bottles ....ours were white, are for your use.

From what some of you are saying, it sounds like there might have been a change of policy since some of you have sailed. Maybe check with your room attendant so you are clear about charges.

It was fine 3 weeks ago.  They are for your use onboard. 

• Thanks 1