Don’t travel with NCL for Itinerary

Trailblazerram

DW will go with the flow, if we come across a last minute NCL sailing at fire sale price with relatively low port taxes, charges & fees - where we don't care about the destinations and port of calls.  

St. Lucia was a tender port last January for the Getaway sailing, I'm not sure whether it was a tender or docking stop for the Escape.  Our local taxi-tour guide said to us, one of the reasons that NCL doesn't like their bigger ships to visit .... drum roll ...

NCL management does not want to run their tenders plus it's not fun for ships sailed above double occupancy, with children & teens, and others with access/mobility challenges; and, all rather go ashore.   This has been proven but ... think about the extra fuel and personnel needed to shuttle 3,000 pax & crew, plus support, not as simple as docking at St. Juan, or Amber Cove.  This urban legend is just one of the theories behind repeated cancellations of St. Lucia, and our winter cruise wasn't the only one.  

• Like 4

On 10/17/2024 at 3:04 AM, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Just curious, how do they sail to Berlin when it is around 100 miles inland?  What is the port city that is close enough to suggest it stops at Berlin?

Cruise I was just on with Oceania stopped at Warnemunde/Rostock for overnight, 2 full days in port.  Those wanting to do excursion to Berlin had long bus trip into city and back.  Some stayed overnight in Berlin.

They've notified passengers in their cruise docs about the possibility of a fuel surcharge. So they should just charge it. But, if the charge is significant,  like $50pp or more, I'm sure they would be able met with a lot of complaints.  Frankly, I would like to have a choice vs them making the decision...

• Thanks 2

19 hours ago, biker@sea said:

I have sailed more than 30 times since 2008 on NCL and never missed a port yet.

Nice to see you are still here.

Ok, I have to ask, how many of those were last minute Boston to Bermuda?

10 hours ago, yakcruiser said:

Just because NCL can legally change itineraries doesn't make it right. I wonder if some folks would be okay with NCL only serving beans OR rice in the MDR? Legally they can.

ok, we all know from his reports MKing is very fond of NCL beans.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, VoyagerMutti said:

Cruise I was just on with Oceania stopped at Warnemunde/Rostock for overnight, 2 full days in port.  Those wanting to do excursion to Berlin had long bus trip into city and back.  Some stayed overnight in Berlin.

We were there years ago.  We did private tour with another family in a van.  While not cheap, one of the best and most memorable experiences in my life.

36 minutes ago, dexddd said:

Nice to see you are still here.

Ok, I have to ask, how many of those were last minute Boston to Bermuda?

Last one got the grand kids ( one year old and four year old ) sailing too .

11 hours ago, julig22 said:

I've been on about 25 NCL cruises and up until recently most pre-cruise itinerary changes had been more or less expected, mostly for political reasons - but new ports added, not more sea days. And I've had my share of missed ports due to weather. I'm good with those. I do sail for itinerary but I'm flexible to a degree - but my December trip on the Dawn has been gutted to a point that I'm considering the forfeit. Taking 36 hours to get to the port while knowing in advance that I'm no longer on the itinerary I wanted just doesn't set right. If I just wanted a cruise I could do that without flying to the other side of the world. And there's no compensation offered from NCL. 

I agree that NCL needs to stop with the non-substantiated changes after final payment - or offer refunds. I'd be OK with FCC but I should be able to choose whether or not I'm still interested. Wonder how much additional income NCL gets from reselling cabins.

We are on the Dawn B2B (Nov/Dec). We are very disappointed with the change to the itineraries. We too sail for the itinerary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, dexddd said:

ok, we all know from his reports MKing is very fond of NCL beans.

Gotta quiz you, and others, on this ... who's what. Forget the beans for now. 

Collage_2024-10-13_11_36_56.jpg

Lately, more at sea for less. 

Edited by mking8288

12 hours ago, luv2kroooz said:

Well said. What a silly, low standard that user subscribes to. Next they'll say well, the contract doesnt say they have to offer lunch or dinner. Thank god the rest of the cruise industry has established higher standards by routinely delivering the advertised products.

Another comment that demonstrates the need to actually read the contract since the contract does require:  "(a) Items Included in Fare: The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food, but does not include beer, wine, spirits, sodas or mineral waters, nor expenses incurred for other incidental or personal services/purchases. ..."

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, RocketMan275 said:

Another comment that demonstrates the need to actually read the contract since the contract does require:  "(a) Items Included in Fare: The fare paid by the Guest for this ticket includes transportation on the vessel named herein, full board, and ordinary vessel food, but does not include beer, wine, spirits, sodas or mineral waters, nor expenses incurred for other incidental or personal services/purchases. ..."

Nothing to do with a contract. I can read and understand a contract. I also understand negligence and intentional misconduct invalidate the terms of any contract. Basic facts. Feel free to keep citing the contract, though.

As I stated previously, "thank god the rest of the cruise industry has established higher standards by routinely delivering the advertised products" instead of needing to rely on consumer-adverse contracts.

I wish you a pleasant day as we begin packing for our multi week HAL cruise. Cheers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Here is a recent example. Four of seven ports dropped. Two ports added. Two Sea Days added. Only two ports on the original itinerary are on the same day as two of the seven got changed to different days. That means that if you spent time planning your day, NCL will cancel all excursions for the four dropped ports plus the two ports that have date changes. 

Now those on this cruise have to check back on the NCL website or app to wait for NCL to add the excursions (if they do) and spend the time to plan their whole cruise vacation with excursions.

Slightly better notification at 154 days. Can you imagine trying to scramble if you have your vacation approved for those who work, plans made for someone to watch your pets,  flights booked, hotels booked, transfers booked, excursions planned and booked and now you have to figure out if the trip is worth it or not? These flights are not inexpensive.

The letter is posted. Why is NCL justified in making this change so close to final payment date? I realize they can but is this ethical? I say it is not.

Adhering to the terms of the contract is the only ethical path.  BTW, please explain how these changes affect leave schedules, flights, hotels, and transfers.  The departure and return dates have not changed therefore those items are not affected.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

A family of four could be charged $280 on a seven day cruise.

If their cabin is $2800, then that's a 10% increase.  

Cruise lines have different policies (amount).  

Cabins have different prices.

NCL reserves the right to impose fuel surcharges on existing reservations even after paid in full.

Now which is worse, a fuel surcharge imposed after final payment or an itinerary after final?

Even when spelled out, literally in black and white on NCL's page, you'll continue arguing. Got it. Join my list of folx that get emojis only. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Adhering to the terms of the contract is the only ethical path.  BTW, please explain how these changes affect leave schedules, flights, hotels, and transfers.  The departure and return dates have not changed therefore those items are not affected.

Disagree.

It becomes too difficult to switch to a different vacation when the changes are communicated so close to the final payment date. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

While I am with you in the "go with the flow" part of your statements, and personally have no issue with NCL making changes to itineraries as needed... I have to dissent on this particular post of yours. There HAS been at least one recent port change that affected ALL of those things. There was one port change that changed either the embarkation or debarkation port to ANOTHER COUNTRY in Asia. That one definitely affected hotels, flights, and transfers. And depending on what new flights are available, it could have easily affected people's leave schedules. That particular case... NCL definitely crossed a line if they did not allow FULL refunds for cruise cancellations.

And as I posted before, while port time changes and port location changes are to be expected... and we need to go with the flow... I think they also cross the line when they change HALF of the itinerary or more with either dropping ports or changing port locations. There should definitely be a reasonable expectation that you cruise should at least resemble the cruise itinerary you booked. And, while I do agree that we do need to be willing to adapt to cruise port time/date changes as well as a substitution or dropped port or two. But I do think there is a line that can be and has been crossed on A FEW of their cruises. Thankfully... that is not the norm. A majority of the changes aren't so major if you ask me.

And as I have said before... if you have your heart set on a particular location, and if not getting to that location when you expected to get there and for the duration of time you expected to be there is going to be detrimental to your cruising experience... then you should find another way to visit that place. I saw someone here mentioned that someone has a wedding planned at a particular port... OMG... I would NEVER rely on a cruise for such a major event at any particular port. Plan to get married on the ship, and then "honeymoon" at the various ports. OR... fly to/from that port and get married there before/after the cruise and let the cruise be your pre/post wedding honeymoon. But don't count on the cruise ship to stick to their itinerary and not ruin your wedding plans. If there is a place you MUST go to on a specific day/time for whatever reason... you are better off going there on your own. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, luv2kroooz said:

Nothing to do with a contract. I can read and understand a contract. I also understand negligence and intentional misconduct invalidate the terms of any contract. Basic facts. Feel free to keep citing the contract, though.

As I stated previously, "thank god the rest of the cruise industry has established higher standards by routinely delivering the advertised products" instead of needing to rely on consumer-adverse contracts.

I wish you a pleasant day as we begin packing for our multi week HAL cruise. Cheers.

Since NCL is following the contract, there is no basis for a claim of negligence or misconduct.  You're getting exactly what  you paid for.

BTW, hope HAL doesn't decide to charter your ship as they've done in the past.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

What about refunding the port fees on canceled ports?  Called and was told, they were all bundled together and can't be separated in order to give port taxes and fees refunds.  NOT RIGHT!!  Got off Carnival, after 1 port was canceled due to not being able to tender due to winds.  Next morning everyone had a credit for port fees and taxes on their sign and sail accounts. Why can't NCL do this??

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

BTW, hope HAL doesn't decide to charter your ship as they've done in the past.

Appreciate your concern. They aren't and, judging from the HAL boards, apparently haven't at any time in the recent past. No comments or concerns about itinerary changes over there.

You apparently don't understand contract law very well, but there are other forums for that. Plus, we aren't interested in suing NCL nor did we pound our fists and stomp our feet demanding refunds when it happened to us. We rolled with it and enjoyed our cruise. We now understand how NCL currently operates and have intentionally determined it doesn't work for us. We have gladly moved on to other lines and enjoy cruise vacations free of itinerary chaos. You are free to do the same or not.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, MAMA "B" said:

What about refunding the port fees on canceled ports?  Called and was told, they were all bundled together and can't be separated in order to give port taxes and fees refunds.  NOT RIGHT!!  Got off Carnival, after 1 port was canceled due to not being able to tender due to winds.  Next morning everyone had a credit for port fees and taxes on their sign and sail accounts. Why can't NCL do this??

Well, they could if they wanted too. Call it port fees or just a gesture of goodwill. They would prefer to keep your money since it creates an economic benefit for them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

This 100% ^ ^ ^

I don't know why some people can't see that the contract is ultimately what matters. If the cruise line has the right to change the itinerary, then you agreed to it when you purchased your ticket. Why is this such a difficult concept for people?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

This 100% ^ ^ ^

I don't know why some people can't see that the contract is ultimately what matters. If the cruise line has the right to change the itinerary, then you agreed to it when you purchased your ticket. Why is this such a difficult concept for people?

No, not this 100%. Here is the argument a smart liar, I mean lawyer, could make to a court and jury. It is not as black and white as you and others think. If bad faith can be shown, there is no contract.  You dont have to see it, understand it, agree with it, acknowledge it ... You can even hit the smiley face emoji. I couldn't care less. Feel free to crack on and post more incorrect information....A smart lawyer could make a very good argument that there’s a duty of good faith on both sides of the contract, and that it’s in bad faith to cancel or change an itinerary simply to save the cruise line money. They should not offer one thing and provide a different thing simply because it benefits them financially. That is not acting in good faith.

Edited by luv2kroooz
  • Haha 1

Just now, luv2kroooz said:

No, not this 100%. Here is the argument a smart liar, I mean lawyer, would make to a court and jury. It is not as black and white as you and others think. If bad faith can be shown, there is no contract.  You dont have to see it, understand it, agree with it, acknowledge it ... I couldn't care less. Feel free to crack on and post more incorrect information....A smart lawyer could make a very good argument that there’s a duty of good faith on both sides of the contract, and that it’s in bad faith to cancel or change an itinerary simply to save the cruise line money. They should not offer one thing and provide a different thing simply because it benefits them financially. That is not acting in good faith.

Nope. I'm married to a lawyer, and we talk all the time about contract law and what it means. If you sign a cruise contract, then all of the conditions and clauses apply to both parties, period. Cruise lines have the right to change the itinerary at any time, for any reason, with no guarantee of compensation whatsoever. That's what the contract stipulates, and what we all agree to. And if I ran a cruise line, that's exactly what I'd say, too.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Nope. I'm married to a lawyer, and we talk all the time about contract law and what it means. If you sign a cruise contract, then all of the conditions and clauses apply to both parties, period. Cruise lines have the right to change the itinerary at any time, for any reason, with no guarantee of compensation whatsoever. That's what the contract stipulates, and what we all agree to. And if I ran a cruise line, that's exactly what I'd say, too.

She apparently don't understand contract law very well, but there are other forums for that. Plus, we aren't interested in suing NCL nor did we pound our fists and stomp our feet demanding refunds when it happened to us. We rolled with it and enjoyed our cruise. We now understand how NCL currently operates and have intentionally determined it doesn't work for us. We have gladly moved on to other lines and enjoy cruise vacations free of itinerary chaos. You are free to do the same or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MAMA "B" said:

They do but seem to be inconsistent. I was on the Escape in January and we missed a port due to weather and they gave everyone $50 for the missed port.