Snorkellng trip Celebrity Edge Port Douglas 16 Dec

Hgwells01

I tried roll call but there isn’t one for our 10 Dec Barrier Reef cruise, change in circumstances meant we managed to get a cabin at a good price, then I couldn’t log in to book or check shore excursions as I kept getting a website is down error and when I finally got in all the snorkelling/reef trips on the day in Port Douglas are sold out. I rang the Tourism ppl in Cairns for assistance to see if anything was available not booked onboard and they confirmed that it’s difficult for anyone to book snorkelling trips as all the cruise lines deliberately tender us to arrive after all the morning ships leave and we have to be back on board before the afternoon ones dock, I had a sneaky suspicion this was the case and they said they get numerous calls but can’t help.  Only thing I can find is a small company that takes 12 ppl out and they would work with our timings, it’s not cheap so I was wondering if anyone else is on same cruise with same problem and is interested.  I might add I worked out that the snorkelling trips in cairns that are 180 to around 230 bucks to book yourself are being offered at around 500 bucks each onboard, if you can get a spot! 

Yes, the GBR snorkelling trips from cruise ships are a terrible rip-off.  They are a ridiculous price, and are considerably shortened to fit with the cruise ship timing. It's a long way to the outer reef from the coast, so you spend 1.5 to 2 hours on a small catamaran, each way, and it can be very rough at times. Many people get seasick.

In general, a cruise is the worst way to see the Great Barrier Reef. The ships don't actually go near enough to see coral, because of shallow waters.

There are plenty of other things you can do from the Port Douglas stop, so I'd encourage you to look at some of the other alternatives offered by private companies.

I agree that ships would rather you book their tours, but it is a bit more than intentional late tendering. Usually, they can't arrive at their anchorage location until first light, then they need to get crew across to inspect and set-up the tender at the shore. Then those with tours and in suites will take priority, and by that stage it is a stretch to make it to the tours anyway. And then the reverse in the afternoon.

Not that it happens often, but if it is too rough to tender, a same day cancellation means losing your tour - and in most cases, your money.

Left field suggestion. If the reef is a priority, there are ships that dock in Cairns and remove that tender scenario altogether.

Is the small group tour you mention with Reef Sprinter? I have gone with them a few times and found them to be excellent. They use jet boats so the trip to the reef is fairly quick and there isn't much risk of getting seasick. Their tours give enough time on the reef.

17 hours ago, Hgwells01 said:

I rang the Tourism ppl in Cairns for assistance to see if anything was available not booked onboard and they confirmed that it’s difficult for anyone to book snorkelling trips as all the cruise lines deliberately tender us to arrive after all the morning ships leave and we have to be back on board before the afternoon ones dock, .....

They actually said that??

As Geoff says arrival times to the port & tendering timing are subject to a number of factors. I'm sure that there is not someone in USA HO figuring out port arrival & departure times etc in order to maximise 'ship' tour numbers by making sure that local operators can't be used 😮 

In many ports, local operators will adjust tour schedules to fit in with the ship timing in order to be able to sell tours to ship passengers. Maybe this doesn't work for these GBR ports because of long transit times to the reef or other reasons, perhaps other visitors doing the tours, but I think it's a long bow for the Cairns operators to suggest some sort of skull-duggery by the cruiselines.

• Like 1