British Airways Business Class

esther e

The reason the seats are facing each other is so they can recline into almost a bed postion. Makes for more room and they are much more comfortable. BA knows how to treat people, the US airlines could learn a thing or two from them. Enjoy.

I think all of BA's Club World has been reconfigured with lie flat beds. Try to book the upper deck. It is much quieter-almost like a private plane.

BA service is VERY good.

BA service in Club World is very good. Their service in steerage is just average. (We got upgraded once. Normally we can be found in the Economy cabin!)

Lisa

I have been lucky enough to enjoy BA club whilst on business and because I have BA miles I use the scheme whereby I go part miles and part cash wherever we can to travel club when we are on holiday to the USA and Canada. I cannot say how it compares to other airlines business class (except Malev and we will ignore that!) but the other posters are right, it is a great experience. If you are travelling with a partner, you can get two middle seats side by side on the lower deck, but as stated elsewhere, our preference is always upper deck - much quieter. ALways put the less agile traveller on the aisle side as the other has to "get over your feet" if you have the bed reclined at the time. The food and service is excellent and a little tip if you are flying out of JFK or Heathrow. Get there well ahead of time and have a free 15 min session in Molton Brown in the business Class lounge. ie a mini facial massage etc. It is on a "turn up" basis but if you go with time to spare, I have always managed to get a slot. It is just lovely. In any event when you land at Heathrow, before leaving the airport you can go to the lounge and have a lovely refreshing shower and if you want a hot snack - so civilised!

A

PS I do not work for BA and have from time to time had my share of hassles with them when flying domestic :(

We're thinking of going on BA business this summer, but please tell me what's with the seats not facing the same way. Never saw this and I can't imagine what it's like. thanks

Esther

Esther - I second everyone's comments regarding the excellent service in BA Club World - their economy service and comfort is not as good as others, IMHO. You specificaly asked about the seats: it's like an old-fashioned sweetheart chair where the two people are facing each other separated by the arm of the chair and can chat with each other when the seats are "up." So you're really facing each other. If you don't want to chat with the person next to you, or one person wants to put the seat down and nap and the other is reading with the light on, there is a divider between the seats that blocks your view that folds away like a large Japanese fan.

I would avoid the two middle seats - then you're both facing aft, plus you both have to step over the feet of the people in the aisle seat if they are sleeping. Not an issue if their seats are up. The aisle and window on the sides would be preferable, and an aisle and window on the upper deck are best, as others say.

Note that the seats lie "flat" only if you're less than about 5'10"; I'm six feet tall and can only get comfortable when the seats are partially reclined. They're also surprisingly narrow when flat and the sides are hard plastic so I don't see how a heavyset person would be very comfortable.

Archived