People who dress to the nines

RhondaPerr

Hi,

We just got invited to two black tie affairs, plus there are 3 formal nights on our Cruise this summer. I was wondering if anyone has purchased their own tuxedo and if so what would be looking at in expense? I would imagine it would more than pay for itself.

Thanks

I bought one. You need to make sure you get a wool and not polyester. Most of the ones you see advertised for cheap will be poly. I'd recommedn you go to a quality men's store and shop for the tux. learn all about them from a quality point of view then go to a disount men's store or even ebay to actually purchase one.

My husband bought his tuxedo after our first cruise when we decided that this is the vacation that we have been looking for. He bought his back in 1993 - a classic style - and has certainly gotten his money's worth. It still looks great. He has bought different vests, ties, etc. and has even gotten a dinner jacket.

He has been able to wear it to several black tie events, as well as 2 of our daughter's weddings (he was the only father so he didn't have to match anyone).

It will pay for itself, especially if you like to cruise. I would go for quality over price though. Wool breaths much better, and looks much better than poly. Also, a good quality wool tux will last you for years, and can be tailored much more easily/better (since we know the body doesn't always stay the same over the years ;) )

my husband has no problem dressing up on our cruises,so we use to rent, even tried the onboard rental once(total disaster) anyways, bought a good wool, traditional style that is tailored to fit him-than went to a Gingus warehouse sale(in Chicago,that's one of the tux rental places) got 3 shirts-brand new in packages, vests, cumberbuns, and ties for next to nothing. and every time he wears it, I tell him how sexy he looks:D with your summer plans you'd cover the investment in no time.

Tuxedos are like suites you can spend as little as a couple hundred dollars or spend well over $3,000. Someone posted this link on another thread http://www.buy4lesstuxedo.com/. I would also recommend getting either wool or wool/silk blend.

If you want a real bargin, many tuxedo shops turn their rental stock once a year or more and sell off their rental inventory on Ebay for very low prices.

The bigeest problem is that they don't make the tux pants with "sansabelt". Mine always fits perfectly on the first formal night but is a tad bit snug on the second night...and on the third night...well if that sucker ever pops loose, just hope you aren't sitting at my table! :D

I don't wear suits or tuxes too much anymore. Down here in Florida most events do not require a suit.

I only wear a tux usually 3 times a year - twice on the ship and once for a local event. So I took the practical route. I went and bought a fairly nice black suit for around $350. This is plain black, no stripes or anything. Then I bought the tux shirt and other accessories.

This way I have a nice black suit to wear for other functions as well as a great tux. No one can tell it is not a real tux because with the shirt and accessories it looks just like a tux.

Enjoy,

Duane

I bought my own tux (and a white dinner jacket) some time ago. Being long and lean, I was leery of renting and getting a good fit, plus three rentals just about equals the price of buying your own.

Bro-in-law, of averge height and weight, rents and has had very good luck with that.

i bought my tux about a year or so ago. got it at stein mart, i think total price was in the $200 arena. thye have several styles to choose from. i do not use pre-tied ties, get yourself a regular bow tie, learn how to tie it and impress everyone and look great!!!

DH bought a tux at our local rental shop. The only time we get to dress to the nines is on a cruise, but we do 10-12 days so there are usually 3 formal nights.

The funny thing is that when we are getting ready to cruise he will make the point that he has to pack the tux--then his friends ask:

"so--you have your own tux?" Pa Dutch amazement at such airs.

response--"Oh yes, we always have several formal nights--and Linda wears long gowns!!"

Oh yes, we are quite the talk of the town!!

The wife bought me one about 6 years ago.

We have used it a lot on the trips. Makes formal night easy.

Also bought a black tux shirt.

Blue tie and cumberbun.

Am thinking about red also.

If you think you will cruise one time a year - it is worth it.

Thyes tyle of tux and the material.

Go with the classic look...no matter what the trend, you are covered. Go with wool, no matter what it will recover.

Then you can add the color with the tie, vest and cumberbund

Just curious. Where did the expression "Dress to the Nines" come from?

Anybody know?

I like this definition:

Meaning:Dressed flamboyantly, dressed well.

Example:New years eve is the one day of the year when people like to go out dressed to the nines.

Origin:Common lore has it that a tailor making a high quality suit uses more fabric. The best suits are made from nine yards of fabric. This may seem like a lot but a proper suit does indeed take nine yards of fabric. This is because a god suit has all the fabric cut in the same direction with the warp, or long strands of thread, parallel with the vertical line of the suit. This causes a great amount of waste in suit making, but if you want to go "dressed to the nines", you must pay for such waste. Alternative: The meaning is drawn from the phrase "the whole nine yards" which has come to mean a complete high quality job without cutting corners.; Alternative: This saying originated in Shakespeare's time and is connected with the price a person had to pay for theater tickets depending on where their seats were located. The farthest seats were one pence and the ones closest to the stage were nine pence. If you sat in the expensive seats you would feel obliged to dress up so as not to look out of place with the other wealthy patrons.

Here's my take on this: DH bought one a couple of years ago and even if he only wears it 2 or 3 times a year it is worth it: do, as others have recommended; either go to a tux rental shop or ebay. There is no reason to pay full price regardless of what that might be. The only disadvantage is the extra space it takes when packing. That is outweighed by the savings if nothing else. For $100-$200 ebay or wherever you will get a decent tux; you don't have to pay a fortune, you won't be wearing it that much. Renting one 2 or 3 times which is 2 or 3 cruises you will spend more. NMNIta

I bought my DH tux at Nordstroms rack - It was separate pieces. Pants and then Jacket. Also got tux shirts, ties, cumberbunds and vest all under $200.

They also have tailor to fit the pants and jacket. He bought a white dinner jacket at Men's Warehouse on sale same with shoes.

He only wears it for cruises but it paid for it self in not paying rental fees for 2 cruises. Although that said because of the weight and bag restrictions in Europe he will be renting one on our Celebrity cruise - I need all the space for our daytime and evening clothes and the tux/dinner jacket just takes too much space/weight.

Hi,

We just got invited to two black tie affairs, plus there are 3 formal nights on our Cruise this summer. I was wondering if anyone has purchased their own tuxedo and if so what would be looking at in expense? I would imagine it would more than pay for itself.

Thanks

Stange that men are supposed to figure out whether a tux will get enough use to pay for itself yet woman think nothing of spending five times the amout on a designer gown that they don't want to be seen twice in.

How many times does a woman wear her wedding gown that she pays hundreds to thousands for while the groom rents his tux which he certainly could wear many times?

Stange that men are supposed to figure out whether a tux will get enough use to pay for itself yet woman think nothing of spending five times the amout on a designer gown that they don't want to be seen twice in.

How many times does a woman wear her wedding gown that she pays hundreds to thousands for while the groom rents his tux which he certainly could wear many times?

If you think I am going to respond you are nuts! :) :)

Hi,

Thanks

My fiance found a fabulous tux in 100% worsted wool, Superfine 200, at a consignment ship. It looked as if it had never been worn and was originally purchased at one of our finest local mens haberdasheries (tags intact).

He paid $50, spent another $25 on alterations and has already worn it three times.

It looks great!

Archived