Best Time to Cruise to Alaska??

lucia1024

I am scheduling a trip to Alaska in 07, but I don't know what month would be best to travel. The prices for May look resonable, but is it still cold in May? Do you see different animal life in summer than you would in Sep or Oct. Does it rain more in any particular month? This will probable be my only trip there so I would really like to make the best of this trip.

Any suggestions would be really helpful.

Thanks

We liked early June last year. It is around the longest days of the year and you get 20 plus hours of daylight, depending on where you are. Another consideration is ice and snow. There is still some around in May and June, at least in the photogenic areas you want to see them in. Trip descriptions and photos I see, especially of mountains and glaciers, seem to show little white later in the season. Also, I don't think the notorious flies are out until after spring. May is a problem if you are going to Denali...sections of the park may or may not be open, depending on the thaw. The inland passage has pretty moderate weather, anyway, and, by June, days are so long that the snow is gone and flowers are exploding. It is also pre-kid season, and there are not many families traipsing around (you can tell I love kids).

Can't claim personal experience, but when I was deciding H.A. said it depends on what you want to see. Their advice was book early for wildlife, June-July for long days, July/Aug for salmon and bears, and late in the season if you want to see the Northern Lights. We took late May/early June and are hoping to enjoy both the animals and longish days. (Also fewer kids and May is one of the drier months.) Less than two months to go!

I have sailed to AK twice in September and once in June. We are going again this coming June. The weather was nicer in September, but not a huge difference. However, in June we saw more snow in the mountains which added more beauty to this already wondrous place.

Regardless of what the weather forecast is, Alaska is quite unpredictable. I would always be prepared for cool weather, as well as rain. No matter what month it is!

Have fun!

Hikini:D

We liked early June last year. It is around the longest days of the year and you get 20 plus hours of daylight, depending on where you are. Another consideration is ice and snow. There is still some around in May and June, at least in the photogenic areas you want to see them in. Trip descriptions and photos I see, especially of mountains and glaciers, seem to show little white later in the season. Also, I don't think the notorious flies are out until after spring. May is a problem if you are going to Denali...sections of the park may or may not be open, depending on the thaw. The inland passage has pretty moderate weather, anyway, and, by June, days are so long that the snow is gone and flowers are exploding. It is also pre-kid season, and there are not many families traipsing around (you can tell I love kids).

We did the first land/cruise available last May/June. McKinley Resort in Denali had only been open 3 days so they weren't organized yet. The only thing I would add to this is you probably get to see more whales as they are filling their bellys getting ready for their Hawaiian vacation:rolleyes:

There is no bad Alaska cruising. :) choose the timeframe that fits your schedule best. But on average, you best weather is until the first week of Sept. After that has the worse potential on average of the entire season.

How about the bugs? They are a real annoyance for us.

Most places cruise visitors go, bugs are not a problem on the Inside Passage. Are you traveling interior Alaska??? Even there in most areas insignificant. You just don't want to include camping at Wonder Lake. :)

We went late May/early June. We started with the land trip (Fairbanks to Denali to Anchorage) just before Memorial Day weekend and took the cruise May 30 - June 7). We saw Denali all three days we were there, the cruise price was the cheapest of the summer, we saw whales, eagles, moose, but no bear (the salmon weren't running yet for the bears to catch). In the 18 days we were traveling to and from Alaska (we spent 2 days in Seattle and 2 days in Vancouver), we only had 4 hours of rain (while on the train from Anchorage to Seward). We took the Coral Princess and had the best cruise to Alaska of all the trips we had made. Go anytime for an adventure of a lifetime, but to me, May/June is the best time to go.

Ray and Barbara

Archived