Hot Topics: Alcohol and Irons ?

MAN86

Okay - This is to the people who have successfully brought their own on board - I am not trying to start an argument (although I am sure I probably already have by simply asking these questions) Just trying to save some $$$ - that is all :)

Alcohol: Check in or carry on? Original bottles or concealed in something else?

Iron: Check in or carry on? How conceal it ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who was willing to give me some advice :D

Okay - This is to the people who have successfully brought their own on board - I am not trying to start an argument (although I am sure I probably already have by simply asking these questions) Just trying to save some $$$ - that is all :)

MAN86,

This sounds like drinking and driving....:eek:

Yes you might sneak booze on board. If they find it...you get it back at the end of the cruise. Some lines allow you to bring on wine and champagne to drink in cabin. If you want to drink it in a public room there is a corkage fee. About $15.00.

On the subject of an iron to press wrinkled clothes...think a moment. I am sure as everyone else has seen there has been a terrible fire on board a "Princess" ship. (cause unknown to this point) Only one person perished due to a heart attack. (God bless him and his family) If you take an iron on board and something were to happen (like a fire due to that iron) how would you feel.

You are spending how many thousands of dollars to enjoy yourselves on a cruise. Tell me the few dollars you might have to spend on pressing wrinkled clothes is worth that.

Please...don't take an iron with you "for all our sakes."

Thank You in advance...

Jeff

MAN86,

I am sure as everyone else has seen there has been a terrible fire on board a "Princess" ship.

Since they are saying the most likely cause of the fire was a cigarette do you think this will cause people to not smoke on ships? I have never heard of a fire being caused by a travel iron. Most of them turn themselves off if set upright and they would have to get really hot to start clothes on fire. I would bet the element in the steam iron gets as hot as a small travel iron.

Of course, that said, if people will not smoke on the ships, for safety's sake, I'd gladly leave the iron at home.

OK, so we shouldn't get this kind of iron:

http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/fire_safety/recalls/detail.asp?id=162

Tom

MAN86,

Just to let you know..I checked with 4 major cruiselines about travel irons. Guess what...not allowed because they are considered a "fire safety hazard.":eek:

Hope this helped.

Jeff

About irons...I really donot understand what a difference some wrinkles make in your clothing..

We are all on vacation, everybody packed their clothes, so we all will end up with clothes with some or more wrinkles... who cares.

And if you think it is so important have it pressed on board.

I have never really had a problem with my clothes being so wrinkled that i have to iron them. roll them instead of fold them, try to bring cottom poly or nylon blend, they don't wrinkle very much, try not to bring rayon, they wrinkle alot. Hang your clothes up as soon as you arrive and bring a bottle of Downey wrinkle releaser. if you are still afraid your clothes maybe wrinkled then put them in a garment bag.

You don't have to conceal travel irons. I have had one in my bag on about twenty cruises and no one said anything. Never concealed it in the cabin either.

Tserface I kow what you mean! I am a "candle" person yet I'd never bring one on the ship for fear of starting a fire should I forget to blow it out or something. I never "got" the whole no travel iron thing since they allow other things that could just as easily cause fires. Maybe they want to make a few extra bucks in the laundry?

As far as bringing alcohol aboard , I have been tempted in the past but always wind up saying to myself..."you've spent THIS much on this cruise already....do you really want to lug around these bottles to save a few bucks?"

I'm trying to understand why the OP continues to ask the same question (ok, this time the iron issue was added to the mix).

Very recently, in a similar post:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=326842

And even acknowledging in that very thread on 4/6:

"Thank you everyone for your responses. I know what to do now. "

As far as bringing alcohol aboard , I have been tempted in the past but always wind up saying to myself..."you've spent THIS much on this cruise already....do you really want to lug around these bottles to save a few bucks?"

The same is true of ironing on board .... after spending that much money on a cruise, what's a few more dollars to send the items out for ironing ..... wouldn't you rather be spending your time doing something more fun?

Well I knew this would happen. Yes I have asked this question before but did not get the exact answer I was looking for. If possible I would just rather save the $$$ they charge for drinks and laundry service - believe me it will be spent elsewhere. :D

If it were not for the dress code an iron would not be an issue. I have read that they are not in the staterooms. I have been ironing for years now - never once needed the extinguisher :eek:

As far as drinking I just wanted the chance to enjoy a cocktail on the balcony without paying a fortune for it. :o

Have a nice day :)

Exact answer to an exact question. It is obvious who understood and who did not, which is why I addressed it to those who understood.

So thanks you Annmarie58, Janetz, Charles4515.:D :)

tbeian - are you spying on me:confused: ?

jessemon - no comment;)

tbeian - are you spying on me:confused: ?

No, I am not. I just know, as you I'm sure, that the topic of alcohol (and irons for that matter) has been well 'covered' here in this thread, and countless others. I find it surprising that the question has not been answered, or at least answered to the extent that a reasonable deduction could be made about what the actual experience of past cruisers has been.

I have been flamed about these topics before and have had posts removed because someone took offense.

The main cause of home fires is smoking and playing with matches.

As long as cruise lines allow passengers to smoke and risk MY life with their habits I will continue to bring along my steamer/iron.

The fire danger results from leaving an iron on combustibles.... if you use one, use it on the glass table to remove wrinkles. We cruise for 28 days at a time and some cruise lines provide laundry facilities. The danger of leaving a (hair) curling iron on bedding is everybit as dangerous but is not mentioned..

About the alcohol... We/you can do it when you first board in carry ons or in luggage.... which gets thrown around a lot.. If it breaks you'll really need an iron.

Some people will condemn this post, some have promised never to sail with me because of my lethal travel iron.. but the ship is a better place to be without them.:eek: I always post which ships I'll be on so that they are forewarned.

By the way we have not used our iron in a while but carry it with us just in case. Even when I send my tux shirts to the onboard laundry, they just don't press those pointy ends down enough to keep them down.

dont want to be on your ship after you've had a few "smuggled" cocktails then decide to iron you prom gown!:eek:

Leave the iron home please!;)

Albertiger, your response tickled me to death, but you are also completely correct. Think about everyone else on the ship and how a careless moment would impact everyone aboard. MAN86, Just leave the dang iron at home.

Since they are saying the most likely cause of the fire was a cigarette do you think this will cause people to not smoke on ships? I have never heard of a fire being caused by a travel iron. Most of them turn themselves off if set upright and they would have to get really hot to start clothes on fire. I would bet the element in the steam iron gets as hot as a small travel iron.

Of course, that said, if people will not smoke on the ships, for safety's sake, I'd gladly leave the iron at home.

Tom

Most irons that turn off themselves, don't really turn off- they just go into a sleep mode and when moved will heat up again - sort of like your screensavers on your computer.

Not really a good idea on a moving and rocking ship!

This sounds like another case of not following the rules. Just like the one where parents allow and bring kids into adult only shows and areas. Cruise Lines have rules for a reason, lets all follow them and we can all have an enjoyable vacation.

Let me know what cruise you take , so I can be sure I am not on the same one.:D

I have been flamed about these topics before and have had posts removed because someone took offense.

The main cause of home fires is smoking and playing with matches.

As long as cruise lines allow passengers to smoke and risk MY life with their habits I will continue to bring along my steamer/iron.

Lets see, the main cause of fires is smoking and playing with matches (not, food on the stove is) so lets not try to prevent all the other reasons. Makes sense. Smoking is the 7th. leading cause of fires just behind #6 appliances.

I bring on our alcohol in my carry-on (never been stopped). I don't put it in my checked luggage because I have seen how that gets thrown about and I don't want to have gin soaked clothing for our entire vacation. Just not worth it in my opinion.

I do check our iron mainly because it is sturdy and won't be damaged in there. I am a big girl and responsible I may add. I know enough not leave an iron on and unattended as do 99% of people. If you are going to bring an iron on just be responsible. Just like if you chose to smoke in your room be responsible not leave a burning cigarette unattended.

Some people will condemn this post, some have promised never to sail with me because of my lethal travel iron.. but the ship is a better place to be without them.:eek: I always post which ships I'll be on so that they are forewarned..

I almost fell out of my chair laughing when I read this.

Archived