2 Ships at Half Moon Cay

Jen & Rich 2006

Last year I was at Half Moon Cay on the Zuiderdam and she shared the island with the Volendam. It was a bit crowded, but there were enough lounge chairs for everyone who wanted them. This island is good size where you can always move your lounge chair down to an uncrowded area.

However, the buffet can be very crowded. We got to the buffet just about at noon, very crowded, but they do have alot of areas to get your food, we didn't wait too long. We were able to find a place to sit and eat, so it wasn't too bad.

Hopefully you won't find it too bad, we didn't. Like I said, it was a bit crowded, but it worked well.

We were there on Zuiderdam in March and the Zaadam (?) was also there. As the poster before, there were plenty of chairs and clam shells (chair covers). The buffet was crowded but not to an intorable level. Finding seating was a little difficult but if you go for further away from the food, you will find something. Just don't be afraid to join another table.

As for the island, it is WONDERFUL. We had a blast and the weather was not the nicest. Water and sand is amazing. Snorkeling was fun too.

Wish I was going again soon:(

When we were there on the Westerdam the Maasdam was also at HMC. It wasn't too crowded but the Maasdam was 2 hours late due to propulsion problems and heavy seas off Hatteras (It was sailing out of Norfolk). They extended the time of the BBQ for the Maasdam passengers. I'm not sure if the Maasdam folks stayed later than scheduled, or left on time as we were scheduled to depart before them. I know that later in their cruise they skipped a port due to continuing issues with one of the engines / generators.

We had two ships in when I was there on the Zaandam in March. We were the first ship. We pre-ordered a clam shell. If you really want one, I would pre-order via shore excursions in case you are the second ship, there might not be any left.

While on Volendam in March, we were at Half Moon Cay with Westerdam. Since I knew it would be very crowded on shore, I stayed on the ship. One of the staff told me later that there were not enough lounge chairs for all the pax and that it had been really jammed with people...........

Claudia

We were there in March with both the Zaandam & the Zuiderdam. It did not seemed crowded at all. Alot of people were doing excursions, so the beach was not even half full, although I believe all the clamshells were taken.

We opted to eat lunch on the ship (we wanted to change clothing anyway, and the buffet had only maybe 15-20 couples there) and came back (no wait for tenders) and it still did not seem crowded to me.

We have been to HMC when there have been two ships there. If our ship is the first one to anchor and let the go passengers go ashore, then we go right away to get the spot we want.

One time we arrived 2 hours after the other HAL ship. When I looked through the binaculars and saw the mob on the beach, we decided to stay on the ship and let the others go ashore and fight for a decent place to relax.

We were there on the Volendam last November. The Westerdam arrived about two hours later. The beach never seemed overcrowded. There were not long lines for the buffet lunch. We had reserved our clamshells ahead of time. Later in the afternoon there were numerous clamshells which had been vacated so latecomers still had a chance to use one.

I really don't see a problem with two HAL ships at HMC.

We were in HMC on the Westerdam in February this year, the Maasdam docked shortly after us - the island didn't feel crowded, and there wasn't much of a wait for food - still was a very relaxing day.... For the Maasdam it was their first day of the cruise - it was our last !!!

CJcruzer

We were also on the Westerdam 03/26 when the Volendam was at Half Moon Cay, I thought it spoiled it just a little, that DAM island is so beautiful 3 ships coulden't spoil it completely but we walked the lenth of that beach past the sign that says No Beds Beyond This Point and we could not find one single bed,:( in the end we plonked down on our towels listening to two guys arguing over two beds in a clambshell. I would much rather be there with one ship it adds to the Robinson Crusoe experience but I think next time I will book a clambshell well in advance.

I was there on the Maasdam in March with the Zaandam beating us to HMC by a couple of hours.

My advice would be to book a cabana NOW. That way you're guaranteed some privacy and a place to relax. Barring that, we noticed that there was a horrible crowd at the beach over near the tender boarding area, but if you walked just 100 yards further down the beach it was much more tolerable. We didn't do the buffet (butler service alleviates that concern), but did notice that area was pretty crowded as well.

BTW, on our Westerdam cruise in Feb.- I did go online a reserve 1 clamshell the moment I knew my booking # - we only had a guarantee, so I did not know my room # until a few days before sailing....

1 Clamshell will cover 2 lounge chairs. Since the Westerdam arrived before the Maasdam, our clamshell was set up nearer to the entrance and walkways - when the Maasdam people came, they mostly went further down the beach.

CJcruzer

We were there on Zuiderdam in March and the Zaadam (?) was also there. As the poster before, there were plenty of chairs and clam shells (chair covers). The buffet was crowded but not to an intorable level. Finding seating was a little difficult but if you go for further away from the food, you will find something. Just don't be afraid to join another table.

As for the island, it is WONDERFUL. We had a blast and the weather was not the nicest. Water and sand is amazing. Snorkeling was fun too.

Wish I was going again soon:(

I was on the same cruise and would rate the buffet crowded and intolerable, with twenty minutes in lines. The lines were worse when we finally sat down. The situation might have improved or gotten worse after we ate. There was sure no interest in going back for seconds.

Everything else about the island stay was a delight. If I were doing it again I'd eat on board or bring food off the ship.

For those that think 2 ships are not a problem.

Have any of you been there when only 1 ship visited the island ?

Hal used to advertise, "HMC was like having you own private island". That is just what is was like.

The uncrowded beaches were so nice. Now, you are tripping over all those clams shells and they are packed in like sardines.

Never had a problem with buffet lines with only 1 ship. I saw the same line as whogo when 2 ships were there.

Keep telling Hal that 2 ships are not a problem, and guess what folks ? You will have 3 ships at HMC sooner or later. :eek:

Gizmo, you are so right about having only one ship at HMC. That is when it is truly like your own private island. Let's hope there are never 3 ships there, that would truly be disasterous.

My advice would be to book a cabana NOW. That way you're guaranteed some privacy and a place to relax.

We're on the Maasdam just before their cruise and there are no excursions available, yet. HAL says, "try around the end of May..."

Keep telling Hal that 2 ships are not a problem, and guess what folks ? You will have 3 ships at HMC sooner or later. :eek:

Truer words were never spoken! I wonder how using the "Henry Hudson" tender will change the visits. I would assume that, if HAL feels they can get passengers tendered back & forth quicker, they would not hesitate to anchor more ships at HMC.

We were on the Volendam in March and shared the Island with the Westerdam. The 4 people in my group left the ship by 9:30 and had no problem getting beach chairs. Had we waited, it would have been more difficult. We didn't want a clam shell, but heard a lot of people who put off ordering one, complaining that they could not get one. I would stress to people who REALLY want a clam shell to order early and avoid dissapointment.

We didn't go to the buffet until close to 1:00 and the line wasn't too bad, but I would normally not go at all as I don't care for it. I would rather eat on the ship. My friends wanted to go to the Island Buffet, so I joined them. Food was OK.

So, I guess the key is if there are 2 ships, go early and stake your claim. If it gets to a point where there are 3 ships, I would have to say that I would avoid that scene totally. I hope it doesn't sound selfish to say that I would rather be the only ship there on any given day. It it nice to go ashore and see the same crew you are used to seeing on the ship working on the shore. We bought a bottle of water on HMC and the poor guys selling the water was juggling 2 different kinds of charge slips, one for the Westerdam and one for the Volendam. It seems like there would be a lot of opportunity for mix ups and people giving the wrong cabin number on the wrong ship as no one checks the ship ID cards.

Jennifer

I was there 3/26 (Zuiderdam and Zaandam were both there). It took no longer than 15 minutes to get through the lunch line and there were plenty of places to sit. It was not a big deal at all.

What a variety of experiences!

Ours was in the not good group.:mad: Too crowded, clamshells prereserved not available, tenders taking over 45 minutes, etc. We didn't even bother to stay for the lunch.

I think some of the problems could be alleviated with two ships in, if HAL would just spread on down the beach. Why are the chairs, clamshells and cabanas all on top of each other, sometimes 4-5 deep, and just further on, nothing?

I'm sure HAL could come up with a way to store the equipment in several places along the beach, allowing people to spread out and really enjoy the "private island" experience. I, for one, would be willing to walk further, if a chair, and maybe access to a beach bar were available on down the beach.

I know they're working on the tender situation, I hope they improve the beach experience while they're at it.

Beth

I checked cruisecal.com for January to April 2007. There are only four HAL ships calling at Half Moon Cay. The Maasdam, Volendam, Westerdam, and Zuiderdam make 43 calls total to Half Moon Cay in those ninety days. With four ships and seven days in a week one would think there would be no need for two dam ships to be at Half Moon Cay at the same time. Yet fourteen cruises will share the port. 1/3 of the cruises have two ships at a time!

It's ridiculous. If cruise.cal and I have our facts straight and nothing changes, I would avoid the cruises that call at Half Moon Cay on the following dates.

1/3/07 Maasdam and Volendam

1/23/07 Maasdam and Volendam

2/2/07 Zuiderdam and Volendam

3/2/07 Zuiderdam and Volendam

3/4/07 Maasdam and Volendam

3/24/07 Maasdam and Volendam

3/26/07 Maasdam and Westerdam

The Prinsendam makes a solo call on 1/4/07.

Am I missing something? Yes, I'm fully aware that ships can only go so far per day, that other ports have to be scheduled too, and that 7 day cruises depart on weekends, but the schedule is not favoring Half Moon Cay for a lot of cruisers.

Archived