Need to revise the Elite

cruisePRN

It might make even more sense if they added more tiers like RCCL has.

Maybe after Elite add Elite-plus after 15 cruises..Celebrity- after 20 cruises....Celebrity-plus after 25..........etc.

Just an Idea....:rolleyes:

Dave:eek:

No way to make Elite for more than 10 cruises without WAR! What would you do with people already Elite, people who have been working towards Elite and are at like 8 cruises, etc,

What we need is a NEW tier. Elite Platinum or some such for 25 cruises. This would need to have some really decent, useful perks. Sort of a cross between RCCL and Princess' high levels.

And I do agree with some who have stated things were better when we paid for CC. It actually meant something then.

I believe I would write to the marketing department about this. And we have the name of that Vice President of Marketing on the inside front page of the new Captain's Club News magazine. Remember, to email anyone at corporate: initial of first name, last name @RCCL.com:D

Fellow cruisers:

Because my wife and I cruise a mix of different lines, although we do cruise quite frequently, we are only standard members of the Captain's Club.

However, I just read the benefits of the Elite level on their website, and frankly I don't see any benefit in the entire program (from Classic through Elite) that's worth purposely dedicating yourself to more than 10 cruises on Celebrity in order to earn this status, and thereby foregoing the pleasures of sampling some other cruiselines and thereby missing out on the wonderful variety that life has to offer.

In my humble opinion, those people are doing exactly what Celebrity's marketing department (and other lines' marketing departments) want them to do.

Frankly, we think Silversea has one of the best programs. Free laundry for life after 100 days plus an additional discount for life. A free 7 day cruise after one tier. A free 14 day cruise after another tier. Granted by the time you've earned enough days for the 14 day cruise, you probably will have spent more than what a house costs, but at least they give you something substantial.

My wife and I having been born in another country, frankly we never seem to understand the apparent need many consumers seem to have to feel that they are somehow more important than others (not only am I a Captain's Club member, I am an Elite member! wow!) -- and the cruiseline marketing departments go full swing and take full advantage of this.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

My wife and I having been born in another country, frankly we never seem to understand the apparent need many consumers seem to have to feel that they are somehow more important than others (not only am I a Captain's Club member, I am an Elite member! wow!) -- and the cruiseline marketing departments go full swing and take full advantage of this.

As an American, I have to say that you've asked a very valid and meaningful question.............. For many Americans it probably come down to the word "attitude", and why Americans have such a poor reputation when traveling abroad.

Those that are already Elite members would need to be grand fathered into that catogory. An extra tier that someone suggested also makes sense. I am not going to be loyal to anyone but myself and choose an itinary and ship that appeals to me. I like Princess' free internet and free laundry at their highest level and am almost at that point with Princess. Although I am an Elite member with X because of status with RCL I cannot see cruising with them often. They do not have the itinaries I want and the loyalty program is not an incentive.

How jaded have we become if we are suggesting that the quality of loyalty programs' benefits will determine which cruiselines we will sail on regularly? :confused: Seems to me that the overall cruise experience should be the determining factor, not some so-called "meaningful" benefits.

I am still unaware of what great benefits Celebrity offered when they required that $35 fee to join the Captain's Club, nor how those great benefits have been diminished since they let the vast unwashed join just because they may have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars to sail on a Celebrity ship. There seems to be general agreement that RCI's loyalty program offers better benefits than Celebrity. How do you reconcile that with the fact that RCI has a much larger passenger base and more C&A members yet:) has never charged for membership in its Crown and Anchor Society?

I suspect that most who sail regularly with Celebrity rather than RCI, do so because they feel that the cruise experience that Celebrity offers better matches their tastes and expectations, and the role of the two benefits programs play little or no role in their decision.

I think that this thread is missing the point of the other thread ( regarding the "change" in Elite Perks, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334518 ) : the real issue is not the actual perks themselves, nice and valued though they may or may not be, but that the Cruise Line recognizes and expresses appreciation for the fact that you are a repeat client and that you thought enough of your prior experiences to give some priority to Celebrity and come back again ( and spend more money with them). Simply being greeted at the gangway with " Good Afternoon, Dr. and Mrs. Green, welcome aboard, very nice to have you with us again." or something like that isn't bad for starters. And not hard to do since you have just been identified by the security system as coming on board.

Captains and Admirals in most of the World's Navies are greeted and piped aboard any ship in the Fleet that they choose to visit: that doesn't have any cash value at all ( the Ceremony), but that "perk" goes with the rank and imagine the furor that would be created if it were inadvertanly omitted.

Personal recognition and making someone feel "special" is almost always good buisness. How would you feel if you were greeted like that when you came on board? From my perspective, it would certainly get the cruise off on a good start.

I would argue that Perks are valued not for what they are worth in dollars, but because they recognise that Celebrity thinks that you, personally, are important to them and their future.

We are loyal HAL cruisers and are taking our first X cruise in October.

I'm just silly enough to like the tiles, pins and hunking big medals given out on Hal--in addition to the sometimes bargain deals (most often not so bargain).

The biggest perk over there seems to be the specials on all the Carnival Corp lines(includes QM II and Princess).

So after October we will be Captains Club and after next Feb maybe bigger Captains Club. I thought that the purpose of the programs were not like a frequent fliers club but to stay in touch and whoo you back.

You know--I'm going to miss those tiles on our cruise in October--but then I'm just silly.

"I suspect that most who sail regularly with Celebrity rather than RCI, do so because they feel that the cruise experience that Celebrity offers better matches their tastes and expectations, and the role of the two benefits programs play little or no role in their decision."

You are correct.:)

However perks like the wine tastings/mixings...ship tours...and a couple extra dress up partys are great incentives, and great marketing for those of us who want a little more than an all out cruise free for all.

The small internet incentive, even if it was only 10 minutes was a plus because it allowed a brief check up on e-mail, something we do in our daily lives and pay for...for no charge. It sounds silly, but it is human nature.

Perks promote loyalty which promotes return customers, and incentives for others to try something new..

Dave:eek:

The 10 minute internet access enable us to check in with our airline 24 hours before our flight to ensure a decent seat. The promised dinner with the Captain or an officer is a joke. Maybe one in twenty Elite members might get that benefit.(It's probably even less)

I wrote the Captain's Club and Dan Hanrahan to note my displeasure. I suggest others do the same. A change will only come about if management hears our displeasure.

I think that this thread is missing the point of the other thread ( regarding the "change" in Elite Perks, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334518 ) : the real issue is not the actual perks themselves, nice and valued though they may or may not be, but that the Cruise Line recognizes and expresses appreciation for the fact that you are a repeat client and that you thought enough of your prior experiences to give some priority to Celebrity and come back again ( and spend more money with them). Simply being greeted at the gangway with " Good Afternoon, Dr. and Mrs. Green, welcome aboard, very nice to have you with us again." or something like that isn't bad for starters. And not hard to do since you have just been identified by the security system as coming on board.

Captains and Admirals in most of the World's Navies are greeted and piped aboard any ship in the Fleet that they choose to visit: that doesn't have any cash value at all ( the Ceremony), but that "perk" goes with the rank and imagine the furor that would be created if it were inadvertanly omitted.

Personal recognition and making someone feel "special" is almost always good buisness. How would you feel if you were greeted like that when you came on board? From my perspective, it would certainly get the cruise off on a good start.

I would argue that Perks are valued not for what they are worth in dollars, but because they recognise that Celebrity thinks that you, personally, are important to them and their future.

Hi Everyone !

Didn't we already have a thread going on about this ? :)

Right on the mark again Ed. I do not understand why some have to keep saying its not about the perks for them. We all understand this. I suppose I have to say it again. It is NOT about the 10 free minutes internet coupon, or the 5.00 match play coupon.... For me, its is about getting the feeling that Celebrity truly cares about your loyalty.

We all understand that the perks that Celebrity offers is not going to make or break your Cruise. Furthermore, the lack of great perks, will not make me look elsewhere. I am staying with Celebrity. The point is, it would be nice if Celebrity made the effort to make improvements within Captains Club, and deliver the message to all of us, that they care about our loyalty, and that they are listening.

By the way, I agree with Gail (Tuggers). I strongly feel that the Elite level should NOT be bumped up to a higher number. Leave that level as it is now. This would create VERY bad feelings for those who are Elite now. That would be a marketing disaster.

What needs to be done, is to create a 4th level, at roughly 20 Cruises (I think 25 is a little high Gail - unless you create a 5th level at 25 Cruises which would be fine), similiar to the Diamond Level that RCI has, with a whole new set of "loyalty benefits". I like the phrase "loyalty benefits" much better than the word "perks". I wish Celebrity would use that phrase.

Comments are always welcome :)

Hi Everyone !

Didn't we already have a thread going on about this ? :)

Right on the mark again Ed. I do not understand why some have to keep saying its not about the perks for them. We all understand this. I suppose I have to say it again. It is NOT about the 10 free minutes internet coupon, or the 5.00 match play coupon.... For me, its is about getting the feeling that Celebrity truly cares about your loyalty.

We all understand that the perks that Celebrity offers is not going to make or break your Cruise. Furthermore, the lack of great perks, will not make me look elsewhere. I am staying with Celebrity. The point is, it would be nice if Celebrity made the effort to make improvements within Captains Club, and deliver the message to all of us, that they care about our loyalty, and that they are listening.

By the way, I agree with Gail (Tuggers). I strongly feel that the Elite level should NOT be bumped up to a higher number. Leave that level as it is now. This would create VERY bad feelings for those who are Elite now. That would be a marketing disaster.

What needs to be done, is to create a 4th level, at roughly 20 Cruises (I think 25 is a little high Gail - unless you create a 5th level at 25 Cruises which would be fine), similiar to the Diamond Level that RCI has, with a whole new set of "loyalty benefits". I like the phrase "loyalty benefits" much better than the word "perks". I wish Celebrity would use that phrase.

Comments are always welcome :)

Host Andy,, now if Celebrity would just remake their ships to include the Conceirge lounge like RCI has for Diamond and above, that would make me very happy and I would say... "THEY LIKE ME!"

Those that are already Elite members would need to be grand fathered into that catogory. An extra tier that someone suggested also makes sense. I am not going to be loyal to anyone but myself and choose an itinary and ship that appeals to me. I like Princess' free internet and free laundry at their highest level and am almost at that point with Princess. Although I am an Elite member with X because of status with RCL I cannot see cruising with them often. They do not have the itinaries I want and the loyalty program is not an incentive.

The grandfather clause would avoid "WAR" it would only apply to people not already Elite status.

Host Andy,, now if Celebrity would just remake their ships to include the Conceirge lounge like RCI has for Diamond and above, that would make me very happy and I would say... "THEY LIKE ME!"

Hi Star !

I totally agree.... I would love to see Celebrity find a way to add the Concierge lounge on each ship. I have been asking for it, for a very long time, but still nothing yet.

What makes you think that there would be any perks for someone who has made 100 X cruises. The CAPTAIN'S CLUB is a joke...there are no real benefits. It doesn't matter if you have 10 or 100 cruises...X could not care less. If X cared...they would run the program with real benefits and a Concierge Lounge.

What makes you think that there would be any perks for someone who has made 100 X cruises. The CAPTAIN'S CLUB is a joke...there are no real benefits. It doesn't matter if you have 10 or 100 cruises...X could not care less. If X cared...they would run the program with real benefits and a Concierge Lounge.

I was hoping they would do the lounge while they were refitting the Century but its not in their plans :(

I am now at nine cruises with Celebrity and will reach my 10 cruise with my Mercury 07 sailing. I would be very annoyed if they changed Elite status to something more now that I am so close. I am sure there are alot others like me.

We were one of the original CC members who paid the $35.00 to join. We felt it was worth it to get us off the ship earlier. Have also sailed on RCCL, Princess and Carnival but always go back to Celebrity because we think their service is best

The coupons for my last trip as an elite memeber were useful as a drink coaster and nothing else. In order to benefit from anything you were given you had to spend more money. At least before you had a few free things going on which is why everyone is balking over the 10 free internet minutes. I totally agree something you once gave us you have now taken away. When X starts acting like another cruiseline it will become just another cruiseline. The little things do matter when you spend so much money annually on their ships. I am sure Princess or NCL would love my 2-3 trips a year business and it won't take me long to get the free bennies they offer. Yes the service is wonderful and the staff make the trips special but I am sure this is true elsewhere also.

Fellow cruisers:

Frankly, we think Silversea has one of the best programs. Free laundry for life after 100 days plus an additional discount for life. A free 7 day cruise after one tier. A free 14 day cruise after another tier. Granted by the time you've earned enough days for the 14 day cruise, you probably will have spent more than what a house costs, but at least they give you something substantial.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

So. You paid over 100K for the cruises. And get a free cruise after each 10.

Not bad.

Free laundry after one level.

I would say with the cruise costs you are getting the same level of perks as from one line to another.

Archived