Do you check the roll calls?

newcruzr

I sailed on RCCL's Explorer and there was an active community chatting about the boat on the Roll Call. But in the Norwegian Roll Call area, I'm not finding anyone checking in saying, Yep...I'm joining in the fun. Why is that? This is my first NCL cruise (my 2nd cruise ever) and I'm just wondering why?

Thanks,

Karen

The NCL board has far fewer active members than the RCI or Carnival boards. As this board grows, so should the amount of people that visit the roll call areas.

I've started a couple of roll calls on my past cruises and sometimes they don't start getting active until a couple of months before the cruise. This happened on my last Jewel rollcall but in the end lots of folks joined in and we had a fun meet and greet onboard. So, just don't give up just yet.

Thanks everyone. I'm not discouraged, just wondering was all. I'll post periodically to keep it up at the top. Glad I encouraged someone else. Do you know if the cruise line does anything like the Meet and Mingle that RCCL does? We had a GREAT time at the Meet and Mingle for people who met over the boards. The cruise line brought out some nice refreshments and gave out a couple of goodies as door prizes (a really cool computer mouse and some free tix for Portofino's Specialty Restaurant).

Karen

NCL does not do to a meet & greet party like Celebrity and RCCL. However, if you have a good sized group you can call and make arrangements for an area on the ship for all of you to meet. Not always at a convenient time (our next trip is 10:15am on the 1st sea day...a few in our group would like to be sleeping in that day) but I figure I'm going to meet these people that I've been talking to on the boards for months and months so I'll go along with when the cruise line says it's convenient for them.

The first roll call I ever started/joined was before our cruise last fall on the Spirit. It became fairly active, mostly with 2 of us posting really often and a few others chiming in now and then. As a result, when the 2 of us met on the ship we felt like old friends! And to this day we keep in touch very often. I gained a real friend through the roll call. (She's old enough to be my mother and that makes no difference at all!)

So, when we booked this upcoming cruise (June) I went to look for a roll call and was surprised to see there was already one. So I quickly posted and anticipated some lively chat back and forth. Nope. This roll call is completely quiet. Last time we had tons of posts - it went on for pages and pages. I don't think this one is off the first page yet. I'm trying......

I realize people are busy, and some might have a problem 'chatting' with those they don't yet know. I just found it to be so much fun sharing the anticipation with others for the last cruise and was expecting the same for this one.

Hikini:D

I joined roll calls for our first two cruises. In both cases they started off really quietly then became much more active nearer the time.

For our forthcoming cruise I started a roll call at the start of the year and the only other person who was on the same sailing was DH!! We've just changed our date to the following cruise and were surprised to find that with less than 3 months to go, there wasn't an existing roll call (there is now though). Not sure if this is because fewer Americans are on the Baltics cruises and the large majority of posters here are American?

Someone else started a roll call for our sailing, Nov 9th Spirit....it had about 3 post when I found it. Anyway I started posting on it and keeping it up on top, now it has over 40 post. People are slowly coming on board.:rolleyes:

But I bet you at least 20 of the post are mine...LOL. I have even got a reserv. for our meet and mingle.:)

I guess by Aug. there will be more activity on it, but until then they have me to keep it a moving :D lol

Linda

On my last two cruises on the Dawn (in February and August) the roll call was very active especially the last few months before the cruise. We had about 20-30 people in our group....some more active then others.

On my present roll call (Spirit - July 22nd), we are four of us that post almost every day or so and basically, that 's it. We may have a very small group at our CC meeting on the Spirit in July!

Don

My post I started for Janusry 28, 2007 is not taking off yet. There are 2 other cruisers so far so I may not win every Bingo prize. So far I have a choice of lounge chairs and no wait in the restaurants! LOL I keep checking!

HI ALL..... We are sailing on the Dream 11/25....we were also her last October.. I am waiting till the first of June to start posting for a meet ans greet.....thats almost 6 months out....and I think thats soon eneough.

till we all sail again......jus' me....jim....the Velvet Teddy Bear :cool:

NCL does not do to a meet & greet party like Celebrity and RCCL. However, if you have a good sized group you can call and make arrangements for an area on the ship for all of you to meet. Not always at a convenient time (our next trip is 10:15am on the 1st sea day...a few in our group would like to be sleeping in that day) but I figure I'm going to meet these people that I've been talking to on the boards for months and months so I'll go along with when the cruise line says it's convenient for them.

:)There really is no need to have a "formal" meeting spot. On RCCL they do give out prizes, and snacks, so of course it pays to go where they tell you, but really there is nothing stopping you from saying everyone meet at the pool bar at 3 p.m. on the first sea day. On my last cruise on RCCL we had two meetings, the first one, an informal at the bar on the first sea day, and then one that was arranged by the ship . . .to get the prizes. When you go to the bar have a pre-arranged signal such as everyone is wearing a paper lei. It is fun meeting people, and also once you meet them, you will constantly be running into them, and will be saying "Hi". Every ship attracts a different clientele. For example, on RCCL, we were on the AOS, a mega-ship, but the meeting was small, because many of the passengers come from Puerto Rico and do not frequent Cruise Critic. On the other hand, there were two lovely posters from Australia. You just don't know who you are going to meet.

On my last NCL cruise, there were only a few posters, but we still had a blast posting pre and post comments. To me, it makes the cruise more enjoyable. The cruise was entirely sold out, and we met cruisers from all over the country. NCL passengers are all very nice and laid back, that is why they choose NCL on the most part.

Thanks again everyone. I found these boards to be so incredibly helpful when I planned my hubby's 40th birthday present (cruise) on RCCL's Explorer. Our cruise in August (yep, I've got the bug) around the Hawaiian Islands is my parent's first cruise. I'll keep posting and see what happens.

Karen

On our 1st cruise, I didn't know about the roll-calls. We were traveling with a group of family/friends anyway, so I don't know that I would have participated in that one.

Our 2nd cruise I tried to get one going, but we only had about 3 other posters chime in, and there didn't seem to be any interest in getting together on the ship.

The next time around, I started a roll-call, and we ended up with a fairly small group (maybe 20-25 people) who participated. As mentioned above, it got much more active as we got closer to the sailing date. We arranged an "unauthorized" meet and greet -- just after the muster drill in the library, where we could put faces and "names" together. We did end up eating dinner 4 nights with various members of the group, and about half of us went snorkeling together in Cozumel. Several of the group were younger than we were -- and we'd often see 3 or 4 couples hanging around together in the bars at night. It made it much more enjoyable to have "friends" that we felt comfortable hanging around with, since we'd already broken the ice with them on the roll call.

Archived