"You are Subscribed to this Thread"???

sail7seas

Have you noticed the blue check marks to the right of the name of a thread?

I put my curser over one of them and it gave the message "you are subscribed to this thread". What does that mean?

The blue check marks are only beside some threads, not all.

The "subscribe" function is an easy way to earmark the threads you choose to follow... looks like the board default settings will automatically subscribe you to any thread you post to.

You can change this behavior in your own settings if you like. Go to "User CP", select "edit options", and look for the "Messaging and Notification" section. See the item called "default thread subscription mode"? You have several options there that you can choose for yourself- everything from "don't subscribe" to "instant email notification" (when a post is added to a subscribed thread, you'll get an email letting you know right away.)

If you want to subscribe to a thread without posting to it, click on "thread tools" and you can choose to subscribe. This is also where you can unsubscribe to a thread.

But the handiest feature of subscribed threads is this: When you come to the boards, you can go immediately to "User CP". Any of your subscribed threads that have new posts since your last visit will be listed right there! You can catch up on all of your subscribed threads right away, without having to wade through all of the new stuff first!

It's a good thing.:)

The "Subscribed" check means that you posted on a thread. Other message boards use a format similar to this and it notifies you when a thread you Subscribed (participated in) has been updated.

To see your Subscribed threads you can go under the Control Panel and get a list of them. You can subscribe to some you never participate in by selecting the forum tools above. Hope this helps

It seems that this software marks down which threads you've posted in, and "subscribes" you to those threads. The little white arrow (I think it's an arrow, not a check mark) tells you that you've posted to that thread.

It seems that if the folder icon next to the thread is blue, that thread has no new posts either since a) your last browser session where you viewed the forum, or b) you last viewed the thread (if it is a thread you viewed in your current browser session). If it is orange (may look reddish on some monitors, on my monitor, which is calibrated, it's orange), it has new posts since one of those two events.

Anyhow I used to think that being "subscribed" to a thread meant the same thing as e-mail notification; that is, you would get an e-mail every time a new response was posted to a thread you'd subscribed to. You can still do this with these boards, but that is no longer what "subscribed" means.

I'd better stop now as I think I'm confusing myself here, which a sure indication that I lost everyone else a while back ;) .

Oops... Upon a bit of further investigation it turns out I've just posted a completely pointless and idiotic response! I hadn't even noticed the little blue check; I thought you were talking about the much larger arrow that comes up on the (blue or yellow-orange) "folder" icon to the left of each thread's name!

In this case, the little blue check is there when you're subscribed, which usually means you've also posted to the thread, which usually means you'll also get that white arrow icon overlaid on the folder icon as I described in the previous post. (Eek, I'm starting to sound like the badly-translated-from-Korean owners manual that came with my mobile phone! I really should stay away from writing this sort of thing...) As far as I know unless you are not subscribed to a thread to which you have responded, the little blue check is somewhat redundant as you could get the same information from the folder icon by looking to see if the white arrow is overlaid. However if you unsubscribed from a thread you'd responded to, or there is a way to turn off this automatic subscription feature (which there probably is; there seem to be about five million different options and settings in the User CP - it's almost as complicated as my new Korean phone), then the little blue check will serve a separate and distinct purpose.

As far as I know, the little blue check is always blue. Upon further examination of Krazy Kruizers' post, I think what they are referring to is that the name of the thread itself is blue if you've not clicked on it since you last cleared your History (in your browser, which is probably Internet Explorer for most of us), but if you have, it is red. This has nothing at all to do with the little blue check mark nor the change in color from blue to yellow-orange of the folder icon, nor the white arrow that is overlaid on the folder icon.

I'm now getting dizzy, so I think I'd better stop writing again! (My grandfather was a technical writer; I guess I didn't inherit that talent!)

We just don't have the e-mail notfiy option.
I think we do, it's just not automatically activated when you subscribe to a thread. As I recall, on the old boards, if you were subscribed to a thread, you got the e-mail notification. (I never used this so please don't hold me to that, that's just what's in the dark reaches of my memory.)

On the new boards, you're automatically subscribed to any thread you've posted to (at least the way the User CP is set up by default), but the e-mail notification is a separate sub-option within the thread subscription. Underneath the "Reply to Thread" window, there are various options like "Show your signature" and "Automatically parse links in text" (what on earth does that mean?). One of them is "Thread Subscription" under which there is a little drop-down menu for "Notification Type" with options for e-mail notification. The default is "No e-mail notification". So you cannot get e-mail notification without being subscribed (I think) but you can be subscribed without getting e-mail notification. The two are not synonymous as I think they were in the old boards.

Okay, Doug.

Thanks for trying but I am quite sure that after reading both lengthy posts, I "don't get it". Actually, :) I think I am more confused than I was to start with. ;) Oh well.......

S7S---

See if post #7 in this thread helps a little...

There are a gazillion little features and tricks that you have control of yourself here, and you sure don't need to know about all of them to enjoy the boards. But the "subscribe" function is one that will soon be close to your heart- I promise!

Here's why:

But the handiest feature of subscribed threads is this: When you come to the boards, you can go immediately to "User CP". Any of your subscribed threads that have new posts since your last visit will be listed right there! You can catch up on all of your subscribed threads right away, without having to wade through all of the new stuff first!

It's a good thing.:)

(And I'd like to give a standing ovation to the webmasters and admins and mods here- this was a HUGE conversion, and it looks really good!)

Thanks for trying but I am quite sure that after reading both lengthy posts, I "don't get it". Actually, :) I think I am more confused than I was to start with. ;) Oh well.......
Can I have a go at this?

If you "subscribe" to a thread (however you do it), you can keep track of what's happening to it by getting specially notified one way or another (at your choice) when there's activity on the thread.

One way of getting subscribed is to ask to automatically subscribe to every thread you post to. To do this, go to User CP -> Edit Options. Under "Messaging & Notification", there is an option for "Default Thread Subscription Mode". Set this to whatever you like. "Do not subscribe" means that you won't be subscribed to a thread even if you post to it. Any of the others will subscribe you to the thread.

Another way of subscribing to a thread is to display it. In the bar immediately above the first post, there is a link "Thread Tools". Click that, and one of the options will be "Subscribe to This Thread". If you click that, you will again get given options about what sort of subscription you want.

What happens when you are subscribed? This depends in part on the option you've selected for that thread. (If you subscribe by default to threads you post to, the automatic selection will be whatever you chose on the Edit Options page.)

The first thing that always happens is that any subscribed thread on which there's been new activity will be listed on your User CP page. That's a great way to see instantly which threads have been active - on this and another vBulletin board, I set the User CP as my board start page for this reason.

Also, if you've chosen a form of email notification, you will get that as well - once it's up and running.

You can always unsubscribe from a thread, in many ways. If you display a thread to which you're subscribed, the "Thread Tools" link will show you "Unsubscribe from This Thread" - that's one of the easiest. Also, the User CP display of active subscribed threads has a quick link to unsubscribing.

You can also modify your email notification type for any thread. On the User CP, at the bottom of the box containing your active subscribed threads, there will be a link for "View all Subscribed Thread". Click that, and you'll get the entire list of your subscribed threads. Delete subscriptions, or edit email notifications, much like you could do with the old board.

Remember, you can still be subscribed to a thread even if you choose "no email notification". This makes the thread come up on your User CP.

Sorry it's so long windede, but hope all this helps!

• 9 months later...

I have a couple of questions.

1. Will CC be giving any classes on how to use the site while we are out to sea?

We are taking the May 7th Europe, Constellation, Dover England.

2. We will be staying one night in London before we fly home to CA. We will be taking the train from Dover to London. Any one out there know of a place to stay near the train station Charing Cross or would it be better to just go out to Heathrow, get a hotel and take the underground back into London to look around?

Not sure of the area so just don't know what part is safe and what part is not.

Thanks

DiamondJim

I for one am still confused.

I haven't gotten an automatic e-mail from a thread I'm interested in, since the changeover, even though I have several times indicated that I want automatic notification.

I have also indicated that I have no obejctions to my e-mail address being displayed if someone chooses to look at my profile - but they can't e-mail me.

The new system is perhaps not all it was advertised to be.

Very good explanation, Globalizer, with just one tiny amendation I'd like to make -

You said: "Also, if you've chosen a form of email notification, you will get that as well - once it's up and running."

But email notification IS up and running, at least for me. There have been times that it's been shut off, but I do get an email message everytime a new posting is made to a thread I subscribe to.

Very good explanation, Globalizer, with just one tiny amendation I'd like to make -

You said: "Also, if you've chosen a form of email notification, you will get that as well - once it's up and running."

But email notification IS up and running, at least for me. There have been times that it's been shut off, but I do get an email message everytime a new posting is made to a thread I subscribe to.

Ah, but my post was made on "June 25th, 2004"! :D

If anyone's having problems with receiving e-mails on threads that they know they're getting subscribed to, it's worth checking two things:-

1. Go to Edit Options and to the Messaging & Notification section. Make sure that the Default Thread Subscription Mode setting is for "Instant email notification". There are some people who've been having trouble seeing images, and I suspect that one or two options may have got reset in the recent troubles.
  2. For a few times when you post, go below the first Submit Reply button to the Additional Options and make sure that the Notification Type is also set to "Instant email notification". It should be the same as the default you've set in Edit Options, but if a particular thread isn't set properly that may explain why the e-mails aren't coming through.

The e-mails have been a little patchy over the last few weeks, but have generally been working OK for me.

I have also indicated that I have no obejctions to my e-mail address being displayed if someone chooses to look at my profile - but they can't e-mail me.
The function for e-mailing via the board has been disabled so it doesn't work for anyone.

Private messages have also been disabled. I actually quite like PMs on message boards. You get offline communication but no privacy or spam issues.

Oh and can I add one thing?

For those who were wondering why their colour for a "read thread" was different than someone else's (some report the thread name is red, others report blue): this has to do with your computer settings and is nothing to be concerned about.

:)

I just have to say that I'm relieved I already understand because reading this could really make someone decide to forget the whole thing.

All the checkmark means, Sail, is that you've posted on that thread.

Once you've posted on a thread, it also will appear on your "Subscriptions" page which I use all the time. It's terrific. Simply click on "User CP" and it takes you there. Any threads you've posted on will be listed and you immediately know if someone else has responded because the title is in bold blue.

Whenever you have left the CC forum and return, any new threads or new posts on threads will appear in bold.

So for now, just to keep it simple, stay with this. If you ever want to know more, Sail, I can explain in an email step by step.

Archived