Dinner, first nite on ship...Sneakers?

Poohb

[quote name='sueclark'][font=Comic Sans MS][color=Red]Thank you Danno. I was hesitant to post my thoughts on this, but now I'll join in. Tennis shoes are appropriate for sports activities but not dining in a fine restaurant. Even if the attire is casual for the first night - the restaurant is still a very elegant place. There is always the alternative dining.

Here is the recommendation from Celebrity for casual attire: [i]"A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress."[/i][/color][/font][/QUOTE]

I don't see how sneakers are incompatible with the dress code for casual nights. It calls for a sport shirt and slacks. Perhaps it is a regional thing but here sneakers go with a sport shirt and slacks.

[quote name='grayjoh']Are there people who wear tennis shoes (sneakers) apart from on the Tennis Court? I suppose between there and the changing rooms they are fine, but NOWHERE else. It seems to me that many contributors would sooner try to undermine the standards than just complying - a sorry state of affairs, but somewhat typical of modern standards,
Why doesn't the originator wear suitable attire to board the ship, including shoes, then there isn't a problem.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about wearing "tennis shoes" somewhere besides the tennis court, but there are lots of types of "athletic shoes" (aka sneakers, trainers) now. Some are walking shoes. I use to wear them all the time as they are very comfortable when doing alot of walking. I probably still would be except there was a time when the black ones went out of fashion and the white ones are too hard to keep looking good.

Now like one of the other posters, I've switched to Rockport walking shoes which are about the same in comfort but look a bit more dressy. I like the sand or chocolate ones instead of black because they seem to go better with casual pants.

[quote name='jschutz']Would you wear "sneakers" at a very nice resturant in your home town?[/QUOTE]

If the other clothes mentioned in the dress recommendations for casual night (i.e. a polo shirt (sport shirt) and khakis (slacks)) were appropriate attire for the the restaurant, I certainly would.

[quote name='MSBYRDY']Danno and Sue, Thanks! I too was hesitant to respond, but isn't it just as easy to put a pair of sandals in your carryon in the event your luggage didn't arrive? Sneakers are NOT appropriate in the dining room EVER!!!! Right up there with Jeans and Shorts.
Marilyn[/QUOTE]

Obviously some of us live in different fashion worlds than others - generally I consider sandals to be equal or below sneakers on the dressy to casual scale.

I agree with Lois. My wife and I just had a vacation to Spain in March. Here we were in Madrid at the Palace Hotel and between the two of us we had no clean clothes, as our luggage was lost. We had to send all the clothes we had on us (yes all the clothes) to the hotel laundry. It cost me over $100.00 to have traveling clothes laundered. My wife and I wasted the whole first morning of our vacation sitting in our Hotel room in just bathrobes hoping there would not be any kind of a fire alarm!!!. Then when our clothes arrived back from the laundry we had to go out and purchase more clothes, another $300.00, as we did not know when to expect our luggage. We are still fighting our claim with the airlines. It does pay to bring a change in your carry on. We learned the hard way. This has nothing to do with sneakers though, as I was wearing Rockports. :D

[quote name='Lois R']hello again........

I do have a question.....what is silly about bringing an extra change of clothes across the country?
Not specifically just for a cruise but, any vacation? If I am flying and have a carry on with me, there is always a change of clothes...Clean undergarments, socks, a shirt, and jeans or a skirt..depending on the time of year....deodorant etc.

And.....when I flew from SF to Atlanta.....the luggage (along with everyone else's on my flight) was delayed. Thankfully I had clean clothes to change into the next morning.

Oh...I am sure the original poster will be dressed just fine for the first evening:).[/QUOTE]

hmmm...so many different points of view is what makes us all different people.

quote by new_cruiser:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
obviously some of us live in different fashion worlds than others- generally I consider sandels to be equal or below sneakers on the dressy to casual scale".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some of my sandels are way nicer than my sneakers. I am not talking about a walking sandel like a birk.....nor a "formal sandel" but in the middle, definitely nicer than my sneaks...a mid heel that goes with my all summer dresses and slacks too.
Now, maybe because I live in Florida I have more kinds of sandels than I do closed shoes:) ..flats, low heel, mid heel, high heel....the only thing I can't wear are stilettos!:eek: I will leave them to those true "Fashion Mavens" LOL...

I'm almost afraid to post this question, but, what ARE "appropriate" shoes? I have strappy dressy sandles (my toes will show) and had planned on hubby wearing boat shoes the first night and other casual nights...(here on the shores of Lake Erie we wear them without socks). And, oh my gosh, I had planned for him to wear his black wing tips with his tux! I can't believe I have to worry about insulting some fellow cruiser with my choice of shoes. I believe in following the dress codes, and am looking forward to it. In fact I have all our outfits planned already for our Sept. cruise! I really would like to know what shoes are correct....leather loafers?...only leather shoes that tie? Would appreciate any help.
Liz

[color=purple]Liz...your choices sound fine to me:) Wing tips with a tux...sounds like a perfect match![/color]
[color=#800080]And your open toe sandels will be right in style...my sandels are all open toe:) [/color]

I agree with you Lois. I can't see anything wrong with sandels! Most of my shoes are sandels, some are even slides, and that's about all I wear in the spring and summer. Also, I am unable to wear heels because of breaking an ankle in 3 places a few years ago, so horrors, I wear flat dress sandels with formals.:eek:

I'm also one of those people that bring a change of clothes in my carry-on, packing specifically for what I'm planning to wear that evening. Bob and I have had our luggage late being delivered to our room and if we had not had a change of clothes with us, would have had to wear our travel clothes to dinner. I like to make a good impression on my fellow tablemates the first night. After all, we do plan to share our table for the remainder of the trip.:D

Garry

With apologies to Lois and Garry I am going to give my personal opinion. I can not stand to see anyone in open toe shoes!!! Very few people have the feet to wear them. This is my hangup, I think feet should be covered!!!. I would rather see women in sneakers than open toed anything. My wife is now going to slap me for saying this!!! :eek:

Bill

[quote name='wv4891']With apologies to Lois and Garry I am going to give my personal opinion. I can not stand to see anyone in open toe shoes!!! Very few people have the feet to wear them. This is my hangup, I think feet should be covered!!!. I would rather see women in sneakers than open toed anything. My wife is now going to slap me for saying this!!! :eek:

Bill[/QUOTE]
Apology accepted, Bill!;) Everyone has their quirks.:D But watch out, you're opening a can of worms. Let's just hope not too many women read your post.:eek:

Garry

Bill, we all have our own opinions and quirks.....I have plenty....

So, a flip-flop or thong around the pool? You think women should not be wearing them either?
I am not trying to be sarcastic. Just wondering what you think is so bad about sandels?

I can't believe this thread is still going on.

Except for 60 seconds walking into the dining room and out, feet are hidden under the table for 2 hours.

Also those comments about flipflips, thongs etc.---don't be surprised when you see them for formal or informal evenings. Flip flops even have high heels these days!!!

With advanced apologies to all this may offend. And you thought we had issues here, check out this thread that is on the Princess Cruise's Forum. I think sneakers pale in comparison. :cool:

Bill

[url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=47015&highlight=green+suit"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=47015&highlight=green+suit[/url]

I really don't understand the angst about dressing nor the fact that some people are "watchers." I really, really tried to be a "watcher" on my Summit cruise and I lost interest so fast it was amazing.

As a newbie, you will soon realize that cruisers will be dressed in their interpretation of what is correct. That means that on formal night, there were women in long skirts made of material better suited to peasant skirts - but technically, they were dressed formally because they were wearing a long skirt. There were women wearing very sequiny tops with pants - but technically, they were dressed formally because they brought their sequins.

The atmosphere on the ship was always great - because people behaved themselves and minded their own business. Even the guy in the red, red shirt - the very expensive, very nice red, red shirt - on semi-formal, business casual, almost dressy, always confusing "day" - didn't spit on anyone.

Just act like a lady - like I know you will - and stop worrying about whether you will pass "muster" (like my sea joke?) - with other cruisers.

These boards sometimes have the worst effect on newbies. It makes them feel that they can do nothing right unless they bring their prom dress for formal night and their wedding attire for the other nights.

It's just not true. If you dress like a lady, act like a lady - and concentrate on having a good time - by not butting your nose in other's business - you will have a wonderful time.

And if you don't want to haul a bunch of stuff in a carryon to change into for dinner that first night - don't. When one is touring on the day of embarcation, there is a real problem storing hand luggage. It will just be in the way. So if you don't want to put up with the hassle, don't.

Dont worry about your sneakers. Wear whatever you were wearing when boarding and then just stay out of the dining room the first night.
They always have a great buffet ready and we go there to eat the first night (or afternoon). If you get hungry later, just go and get some pizza.

Let me say right off that I haven't sailed on Celebrity. And I think there's a central theme to all of the various Dress Code threads no matter what cruise line they are talking about which is, Is This The Cruise Line For Me? People who book cruises are essentially hoping to sail with PLU - people like us...

So, if you're the sort who thinks sneakers at dinner are just fine, others who agree want to sail with you. And those who don't, well, they don't want you on their cruise line. And neither does the cruise line, as someone pointed out. They want to portray a certain image and the dress code is part of it. A person who insists on boarding a Carnival cruise in black tie and complains about the hairy chest contest is just as out of place as the person who wears sneakers in the dining room "because I'm on vacation and I want to relax" on one of the more formal lines.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe everyone does get this excited about sneakers versus sandals versus shoes. I think it's really just about making the decision about whether this line (from Crystal to Carnival) is PLU and if it's "your" line, keeping it that way. Just a thought.

I love how this thread started out as a woman, about to go on her first cruise ,asked an innocent enough question on if it was okay to wear sneakers in the dining room on the first night IN THE EVENT she didn't get her luggage in time for dinner.

How it turned into a panel discussion on how people are inconsiderate toward others , have no respect for the rules, feel the rules do not apply to them, the sad state of affairs of society as we know it I will never know

[color=blue]........l just read your link.....so it looks like "dress code" is a topic on every board....from the Crystals on down......[/color]
[color=#0000ff][/color]

Archived