Dinner, first nite on ship...Sneakers?

Poohb

[quote name='bac513']In my humble opinion, the dress code issue goes beyond what one is wearing to dinner. We are becoming a nation of caring only about I, me and myself. We seem to care less and less about rules, traditions, and respect of others (e.g. as a way off topic example, how many have noted that about 60 - 75% of all automobiles' turn signals seem to be inoperative).

So what does it matter if the Griswolds come to dinner in t-shirts and jeans? It matters a lot to those, even the reluctant ones, who follow the appropriate dress code. There is a certain ambience about eating dinner in a fine restaurant or dining room. I wonder how those who say "I don't have to follow the dress code" would feel if Mr. Griswold was at their table with a grubby sleeveless t-shirt, jeans with holes in them, sockless, wearing 10 year old sneakers. Thankfully, this is an unlikely scenario, but who knows where it stops.......

It is possible that the Griswolds don't give a crap and to hell with everyone else. It is also likely that their TA did not make the effort, or did not know how to match their expectations to their vacation. Perhaps the cruise line lowered the price too much.

If Celebrity cannot sustain the image they have tried to project over the years vis-a-vis dining and cruise experience, then they should admit to failure and change course. Otherwise, they should advertise their cruises for what they are, better educate travel agents, and ensure that all passengers unequivocably know what to expect prior to embarkation.

Just my $0.03 worth.[/QUOTE]
If the griswolds show up at my table and I'm in a TUX you can bet they will be the ones feeling out of place,not me. I don't give a damn what someone else is wearing as long as they are nice and polite.

[quote name='grayjoh']Are there people who wear tennis shoes (sneakers) apart from on the Tennis Court? I suppose between there and the changing rooms they are fine, but NOWHERE else. It seems to me that many contributors would sooner try to undermine the standards than just complying - a sorry state of affairs, but somewhat typical of modern standards,
Why doesn't the originator wear suitable attire to board the ship, including shoes, then there isn't a problem.[/QUOTE]

This is a joke, right?

Hotspur:

No flame here but suggest you go back and read the posters original question. He stated he wanted to do the right thing and a number of people answered the question according to their experience and past practice. No fashion police, just answering a question. Not really difficult to understand.

Don

Although most luggage is delivered to the stateroom prior to first dinner at 6:00P.m. occasionally it does not arrive on time. It really is simply just loading thousands of pieces of luggage and a couple thousand people onto a ship.

Don

Remember - you can always go to one of the other much more casual "resturants" if push comes to shove - or have room service. And, by the way, one of the reasons I choose Celebrity over the many other cruise line choices is so that I don't have to be seated next to someone, in the fine dining main resturant, who is attired in shorts, t-shirt and tennies or flip-flops. :D

I like to think I'm traditional & yes, I bought a tux for our last cruise. But at the same time there is a lot to be said for practicality and choosing fights. Sneakers on the first night are acceptable to me (with socks on right?). The first meal in the dining room people should be appreciating the room, not looking at your feet. Don't fret & enjoy the cruise.
There are passengers who would feel offended if you are wearing sneakers to
dinner on the 1st night in a lifeboat adrift.

[quote name='BB5953']You can wear whatever you wear to board the ship to dinner the first night (sneakers included). However every other night there is a dress code in place and you should follow it.[/QUOTE]

Actually, there's a dress code [B]every[/B] night - including the first night, but it's casual dress first & last (usually) plus two others. Cheers!

You are correct StephenJohnson - I just assumed they would be in casual attire when boarding the ship as apposed to informal and formal.

Really though if someone is wearing sneakers will that determine if you have a great vacation? If so that is sad. I mean really you are on a fabulous ship with great staff going to wonderful places. I think everyone should stop for a second and really put this question into perspective. IMHO

Well, I'm all for dressing up, as my screen name might imply, but I also might be one of those with the 19th century fashion hangover. I used to coach high school kids on interviewing, and had to tell them things like "no, not only can't you wear your baseball cap backwards to an interview, and you can't wear it at all." Often the response was "I shouldn't be judged on appearances!" :rolleyes:

There will always be people judging you, whether for sneakers on the first night of a cruise, or a jacket and tie! I've had strangers walk up to me and say "didn't you know it was casual night?" as though I must be a cruise novice because I was wearing a sportcoat. And yes, I could get all haughty, and say that I was taught that a gentleman never exposes his shirt sleaves at the dinner table or in the presence of a woman, but then you'd all tell me to get over myself, and probably rightly so, because I was brought up in the '60's in the suburbs, not in the 20's on Beacon Hill . :)

The point (at last): Your being in sneakers is not going to ruin my meal. If you end up wearing them, and feel the need to explain to me that your luggage hasn't shown up (even if it arrived hours ago), I'm simply going to smile sympathetically and then move on to ''and where do you live?" type questions, and we'll have a lovely meal. :)

I'm all for formallity, and following the rules, but I'm also for good manners, including believing your explanation, should you care to profer one. If you don't provide one, I should assume that there is a reason for the sneakers that you don't want to share (anything from "it's just that they're more comfortable" to "they're medically necessary") and it's none of my business.

And if the Maitre d' comes after you, I'll even stand up, say that it was on my bad advice that you were wearing them, as your luggage had yet to arrive, and I'd assured you that it was o.k., and would he be so kind, etc. etc., and just this once, blah, blah, blah. The Maitre d' will dissappear, and we'll wink conpiratorily! See, gallantry isn't dead yet!

Enjoy the cruise and realise that with 1950 or so people on a ship, you'll likely get 1950 opinions on the subject.

Well said, Blazer Boy. There are too many people who forget the various meanings of the term 'good manners'.

I do not tend to bother too much with what people are wearing on their feet. Happily, few other people do either. On one of our earlier cruises, we met a lovely couple. The lady was in 'sneakers' the entire cruise. Not because she was insensitive to the dress code, but because she had foot surgery due to an accident not long before the cruise. The only way she could reasonably get around was by wearing sneaker-type shoes. We all had a good laugh on formal nite--she had used some kind of 'stuff' to stick sequins on to her black sneakers for wearing with her formal outfit!

Linda

More important than sneakers...please take a shower before you show up for dinner. You've been travelling all day and probably need one. Your sneakers may not offend but your BO certainly will. Oh wait, never mind, I just read the Celebrity guidelines and they don't require a shower.

You are on vacation and vacation means just that. As long as it is not broken or torn or holes in it WEAR THEM. :)

You work and live with people that gives you orders all your life. Dress nice for formal ad dinner and fo rcasual dinners. they are exactly that casual, but if you need to wear sneakers if they are nice, be it.:rolleyes:
relax, drink, be merry and have fun!!!:D

[quote name='dkjretired']Hotspur:

No flame here but suggest you go back and read the posters original question. He stated he wanted to do the right thing and a number of people answered the question according to their experience and past practice. No fashion police, just answering a question. Not really difficult to understand.

Don[/QUOTE]
And the only answer to the question asked is: Wear your sneakers--they're the only shoes you'll have--and head right down to the dining room, enjoy your dinner, and don't give it a second thought. All the silliness from the usual suspects about carrying a change of clothes across the country JUST IN CASE THE LUGGAGE ISN'T DELIVERED--as well as the lectures about what is and isn't proper footwear in a cruise ship's dining room--was absolutely unnecessary.

hello again........

This is a message board....I love it when someone doesn't like another person's reply...whoever that may be...Tom, Dick, Harry, Mary, Suzy or Betty...those are just hypothetical names!...Then those particular people have to critisize others because they have different opinions.

Now I now we are supposed to be talking about a particular subject and calling people out is not "within the rules" but it seems to happen all the time.

No, I am not calling anyone out...I am just writing about what I am seeing on here.

I do have a question.....what is silly about bringing an extra change of clothes across the country?
Not specifically just for a cruise but, any vacation? If I am flying and have a carry on with me, there is always a change of clothes...Clean undergarments, socks, a shirt, and jeans or a skirt..depending on the time of year....deodorant etc.

And.....when I flew from SF to Atlanta.....the luggage (along with everyone else's on my flight) was delayed. Thankfully I had clean clothes to change into the next morning.

Oh...I am sure the original poster will be dressed just fine for the first evening:).

[quote name='hotspur']And the only answer to the question asked is: Wear your sneakers--they're the only shoes you'll have--and head right down to the dining room, enjoy your dinner, and don't give it a second thought. All the silliness from the usual suspects about carrying a change of clothes across the country JUST IN CASE THE LUGGAGE ISN'T DELIVERED--as well as the lectures about what is and isn't proper footwear in a cruise ship's dining room--was absolutely unnecessary.[/QUOTE]

Certainly is not silly for someone to suggest bringing an extra set of clothes. Its probably a good idea anyway. Again, I go back to the first words of the original post which stated I want to do the right thing. The only silliness is to say you have the only answer to the question.

Don

Funny, Lois, I always have my tux with me in a carry on suit holder, figuring that's the most expensive thing to replace(Tux, shoes, shirt bow tie, studs cufflinks, yada, yada), so I guess if they do loose my luggage, I'll be REALLY overdressed for the first night. :D

In terms of the posts here, we all seem to have our style of posting-yeah, I'm the long-winded one. Others throw out funny one-liners, others try to give serious advice. Sometimes those posts seem like they're in conflict, but they're really not (or don't need to be). Important thing to remember is that no one needs to be right, and PoohB justs gets to assimilate all the advice, and (hopefully) make the choice that makes her (Him?) feel the most confortable.

So I'll be the one on your next cruise in Black Tie on the first night, singing Kum-Bye-Ya :D

Archived