Dinner, first nite on ship...Sneakers?

Poohb

During my cruise last March, tho I always wore dress slacks & Aloha shirts to dinner, I always wore sandals with navy socks if I were wearing my navy slacks or brown socks if I were wearing my tan slacks.

I never worried about people who would look down at my feet to see if I had dress shoes on and that my socks were the "correct" color.

OMG. I just stopped home for lunch. I guess I opened up a 'can of worms'. I love all the different aspects and will reread everything when I have more time. Thanks all for helping out. It is appreciated to get lots of opinions.

In my humble opinion, the dress code issue goes beyond what one is wearing to dinner. We are becoming a nation of caring only about I, me and myself. We seem to care less and less about rules, traditions, and respect of others (e.g. as a way off topic example, how many have noted that about 60 - 75% of all automobiles' turn signals seem to be inoperative).

So what does it matter if the Griswolds come to dinner in t-shirts and jeans? It matters a lot to those, even the reluctant ones, who follow the appropriate dress code. There is a certain ambience about eating dinner in a fine restaurant or dining room. I wonder how those who say "I don't have to follow the dress code" would feel if Mr. Griswold was at their table with a grubby sleeveless t-shirt, jeans with holes in them, sockless, wearing 10 year old sneakers. Thankfully, this is an unlikely scenario, but who knows where it stops.......

It is possible that the Griswolds don't give a crap and to hell with everyone else. It is also likely that their TA did not make the effort, or did not know how to match their expectations to their vacation. Perhaps the cruise line lowered the price too much.

If Celebrity cannot sustain the image they have tried to project over the years vis-a-vis dining and cruise experience, then they should admit to failure and change course. Otherwise, they should advertise their cruises for what they are, better educate travel agents, and ensure that all passengers unequivocably know what to expect prior to embarkation.

Just my $0.03 worth.

StephenJohnson Posted:

To borrow from sueclark:

Here is the recommendation from Celebrity for casual attire: "A gentleman's choice for casual nights includes a sport shirt and slacks, while women will be comfortable in a pants suit, skirt and blouse, or casual dress."

Where does it say no sneakers? Or talk about shoes at all? There's a valid argument about open toed sandals, going barefoot, shorts (especially cutoffs), tank-tops, yadda yadda yadda but sneakers?

It is implied - most people would not wear tennis shoes (sneakers) with the type clothing listed. If you feel that Minnie Mouse feet are appropriate then feel free, no one will actually stop you.

It is no wonder this board has the reputation it does elsewhere. Let me begin by stating I bring a carry on with a change of clothes. I wear formal and a coat and tie most other nights, on casual I may shed the jacket. I have pictures to prove it. Go back and read the original post again. The OP states she will be on a land tour and on the coach all day (at least that was my assumption). Where did all this venom come from, not being able to post for the past couple of days? It is bad enough we get to spitting out "the rules" every time we get a, "can I wear a schmata on formal night" question. This was a simple first night tennis shoes, not jeans, not a t shirt, not shorts, not a jockstrap.............................tennis shoes.

Oh and for what it is worth I am a senior citizen (according to Celebrity).

Love the new boards, how about you all?

StephenJohnson Posted:

It is implied - most people would not wear tennis shoes (sneakers) with the type clothing listed. If you feel that Minnie Mouse feet are appropriate then feel free, no one will actually stop you.

With all due respect, Sue, it may be implied to you, but it sure as heck isn't to me, hell I've seen passengers wear white tennis shoes with a tux, which I thought was funny as heck. If you want to gritch about folks wearing shorts in the Dining Room, it's cool by me - I can understand that, as it as actually a violation of the rules (not that I haven't done it at lunchtime :eek: ). But the argument that people are obliged to read the same implications into the rules that our anti-sneakerite friends do - well, it's just a tad unreasonable, IMAO.

Don't you just love dress code fights? I should probably shut up now, but i likely won't ;)

Thanks, Deb for the well wishes. I just get sooo confused...I understand formal. I thought informal was the complete opposite and casual was sort-of dressy. I just hope I remember which is which on board. We're on Celebrity's Summit Alaska July 9. Seward to Vancouver.

Poohb, don't worry about getting confused about what to wear when. If you read your daillies for what the dress is for the day, it states a description of what's accepted. I've never seen shoes mentioned, but I would think on the first night tennies would be acceptable! :D You're going to see a wide range of dress, especially the first night.

I want to wish you "happy cruising!" Take a lot of film (or memory cards), because Alaska is incredibly beautiful and you're going to want to save these memories. Go and have a wonderful time.:D :D :D Cruising is the best vacation there is (in my opinion).

Garry

Flagg, How do you know God doesn't mind?

Anyway, if you were showing your dog under a judge who wanted people dressed nicely or no ribbon, would you wear your jeans and sneakers?

I remember a previous reply, where you stated jeans were good enough for

God, but the only time your wife got dressed up was when she was showing dogs.

Wow....what a discussion I started without meaning to. I appreciate all the input and it's good to see both sides of the arguments. This (what I thought was a simple) questions has taken on it's own life. I think I will put a pair of shoes in my small carry-on just in case. If you want to keep adding opinions, I'd love to continue reading them. Thanks to all of you for voicing an opinion.

Kathy

Here is my 2 cents. I live in South Fla. I wear shorts practically all the time. I have some very nice shorts and some for golf and some for yard work. When I go on a cruise I hate putting on pants for dinner every night however I love the dinner experience. In deference to others I wear slacks. After dinner I change back to my shorts but while in the dining room I follow the guidelines!JMHO

[quote name='TBRANDONKYLE']HOPE ALL GOES WELL WE ARE LEAVING ON CENTURY JULY THIRD[/QUOTE]Hi TRRANDONKYLE - We have a roll call thread going for this trip if your interested in joining us [url="http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44623"]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=44623[/url] ....Have you signed up for the Cruise Critic Party yet? You can do so here [url="https://www.celebrity.com/cruisecritic/entry.asp"]https://www.celebrity.com/cruisecritic/entry.asp[/url]? We have quite a large crew signed up so come and join us :)

Just so this post isn't totally off topic....I have not been on a Celebrity cruise yet but I know that attire is quite the hot topic. I believe in following the cruise lines suggestions, but if for some reason I did not receive my luggage in time I would not have a choice as to what to wear. I suppose I could eat in the buffett, but one of the main reasons I cruise (and esp this cruise) is for the cuisine and I would not like to miss even a night of the wonderful experience. I am slightly adjusting what I am wearing that day and what I have in my carry on just for this off chance out of respect for the people that feel so strongly about this but thats just me.

I personally wouldn't let what anyone else is wearing affect me in the slightest.

Dawn

Wow what a hot topic, my 2 cents: I have problems with my feet and always wear sneakers. To work, to the nicest restuarants, etc. I do wear all black sneakers most of the time - especially for dress up. Only time in the last year I didn't wear sneakers was on our cruise formal nights (I would have but wife wouldn't let me!). Frankly I really don't care what shoes people are wearing. I think that the rest of their dress is more important, and would give a lot of leeway there as long as one doesn't dress in a way that is entirely sloppy and out of place.

Ony one caveat: if you're wearing sneakers to dinner I think it would be inappropriate to put your feet on the table. Please keep them hidden under the table, OK?

Hello:) ..this is always the hot topic......

This is just a suggestion so please don't read any more into it than the actual concept.
I pack an extra outfit in my carry on "JUST IN CASE" the luggage doesn't arrive by the time I want to shower and change before dinner.
Now, this is just me and we are all different. But since the original poster asked about the first evening this is what I am replying to......
After wearing the same clothes for the whole day, I always take a shower before dinner. (first night included)!
The outfit in my carry on also includes the shoes! The clothing for dinner the first evening is casual, but I try to look put together, none the less.

Oh, I have always received my luggage on time.....the above suggestion is just "to be safe".

Well I guess I will just have to get a bigger 'carry-on'. I usually just have a backpack. Might be tough putting in shoes & a change of clothes that won't looked wrinkled (like it was stuffed in a backpack LOL)

[quote name='Poohb']Well I guess I will just have to get a bigger 'carry-on'. I usually just have a backpack. Might be tough putting in shoes & a change of clothes that won't looked wrinkled (like it was stuffed in a backpack LOL)[/QUOTE]
Poohb, you shouldn't let the dress police here intimidate you.

There is a certain element, both here and on the HAL board, who try to portray these cruises as the second coming of 19th century British aristocratic life. They want everyone dressed to the nines so that they can feel self-important about where and with whom they are. They are, quite frankly, irrelevant to the real world today. You will look perfectly fine in your sneakers--in whatever color you choose--at the first night's casual dinner. 95+% of the people with whom you will be cruising will have not the slightest interest in your footwear--or any other aspect of your attire. The remaining 5% (and likely much fewer) should simply be ignored.

Are there people who wear tennis shoes (sneakers) apart from on the Tennis Court? I suppose between there and the changing rooms they are fine, but NOWHERE else. It seems to me that many contributors would sooner try to undermine the standards than just complying - a sorry state of affairs, but somewhat typical of modern standards,
Why doesn't the originator wear suitable attire to board the ship, including shoes, then there isn't a problem.

[quote name='grayjoh']Are there people who wear tennis shoes (sneakers) apart from on the Tennis Court? I suppose between there and the changing rooms they are fine, but NOWHERE else. It seems to me that many contributors would sooner try to undermine the standards than just complying - a sorry state of affairs, but somewhat typical of modern standards,
Why doesn't the originator wear suitable attire to board the ship, including shoes, then there isn't a problem.[/QUOTE]

See Hotspur, what did I tell you!!!! :)

We've cruised a bit. I couldn't tell you what a single pair of shoes looked like at any meal..I personally like what's in a person's eyes not what's on their feet. Can't we all just get along?!? Can't we just answer a question without the tirades???

I must say I tire of the "name calling" and "judging" that goes on whenever this topic comes up. He's a "Griswold" because of tennis shoes on casual nights? A bit over the top don't you think? Being appropriate should not just be limited to cruising, these "hot topics" get pretty angry with those shouting for "appropriate behavior etc" displaying much hostility.

Archived