Noordam - is it good for the over 30 but under 50 crowd?

I've been invited to join some friends on Noordam. The price is good but, I'm concerned about the mix of people onboard. I've cruised NCL Dawn and twice on Carnival, so, I'm still pretty much a newbie.

All I know about Noordam is that it's a new ship and, the bigger selling point for us is that it sails out of NYC.

Tell me about the food, fellow passengers, entertainment and cabin sizes. Any information you can provide would really be appreciated.

Thanks!

Nick

Over 30, under 50 was a large percentage of the passengers on my recent Noordam cruise---to a much greater extent than my non-Vista HAL cruises, certainly.

I found the food to be the usual HAL fare---good to very good. Let's say I never missed a meal. But then, food is always subjective.

The cabins are smaller than the non-Vista HAL cabins, but those are generally larger than the other lines you mentioned.

I liked some of the entertainment in the show lounge, enjoyed the music in the Ocean Bar before dinner, and loved the Piano Bar. But my taste may not be your's.

There are several lounges with a variety of music styles. Surely there will be at least one you will enjoy.

I don't care for the large size of the Vista ships, and I don't like the heat and humidity of the Caribbean. Still, because of the NYC port I would consider this itinerary again. That's a pretty big endorsement from me.

I'm with Ruth on this one.

On both my Noordam voyages, found a good mix of pax of all ages.

Loved the food (except that 'dam goat cheese' in the salads ..) :D

All I can say is, give her a try. Noordam is a classy ship, and I'm looking forward to my next sailing on her.

:)

My husband and I got off the Noordam in April. I have to say that I really expected more of an older crowd, but found that there was a great mix of passengers though very few children. I found the food to be good and on a few nights, very good. I still like Celebrity for food, but the staff on HAL was far superior....far more friendly. It seemed there was always someone smiling and saying Hello to you.

Noordam is a gorgeous, sparkling new ship. What is not to like???!!! :)

If you are aboard with friends, sailing to the sunny Caribbean out of a convenient port, of course, you'll have a great time.

I'm 36. I sailed the Noordam in March and it was largely what I expected - lots of older folks. The demographics aren't my favorite; but the Noordam is a beautiful ship, the southern caribb itinerary was awesome, and NYC is so convenient to depart from.

If you are going with friends, keep to yourselves, so just don't mind a quiet ship geared toward the older passengers, then I'd say you'd enjoy Noordam. If you are looking to meet other people your age and want activities geared to the age range you mentioned, then this may not be the cruise for you.

I enjoyed meeting folks of all ages on Noordam -

- met some younger folks who were crankier and more bitter/boring than some of the older ones - I don't think its really any older or younger than any other HAL ship.

Go and have a great time - even the cruise staff are fun to hang out with.

You just never know who you're gonna meet on HAL!

***reaches over w/ his fork and eats the goat cheese off Vic's salad***

Archived