Airfare is Killin' Me!

We live in Central Virginia ( lynchburg area) and it is nearly $500.00 to fly to MCO out of our little airport. We are going to drive to Raleigh. The fares were $150.00, but are now $212.00... I keep waiting but they inch ever higher. Funny thing is that my sister in Los Angeles is flying all the way from LA to Orlando for just a few dollars more than me!!

If anyone is going to Europe this September, or later, I just checked British Airways. They've got LAX to London roundtrip for $651, including taxes and fees. I think that's pretty good!

We are going on the Navigator in June. Booked the airfair from Cleveland to Miami back in Feb. for $267 pp. It was $517 pp last time I checked. While I was on the phone booking they told me the price went up. I check the computer and told the reservationist that it hadn't changed on-line. She told me to book on-line and I did. We picked the 9:00 am flight so we didn't have to get up so early(we are going down 2 days earlier). I got an e-mail a few weeks ago that they changed our flight to 7:00am:eek: I don't get how they can change for no reason but if you change they charge you an arm and a leg!

Last Month I flew Delta from Boston to Orlando. The changed our flight back from 2:10 to 8:40PM in Feb!!!! There was no way I was going to be sitting around an airport for that long. I kept on checking on line all day every day while I was at work. The minute I saw a few seats open up for a 1:15 flight, I called them and they changed it for me for no charge. I believe if they change your flight times then they can't charge you for trying to get something else that would suite you better. I think! :)

When you look for decent fares from Phoenix, I say forget it!!! We are in a "closed" market and the airlines do not feel obligated to give us any breaks at all. I priced Southwest in August for Fort Lauderdale. I am actually traveling in Oct to Miami, which will be higher. At the time, August figures were as close as I could get. The price was $360 per person and a taxi to the port would have been another $55 minimum. Not only that, I would have to fly the day before we sail, get a hotel, and still pay ground transportation. The best I could get on any other airline to Miami was $402. Still had the ground transportation and hotel. So, for giggles I checked with RCI. It was $519, but it included transfers and a complimentary hotel (Hyatt). Not only did that come out cheaper, RCI is responsible to get me to the ship. If MIA closes for any reason or the airport I happen to be in closes (been there, done that) and I can't get to the boat, it is RCI's responsibility to insure I catch up with the ship or refund all my money. Just consider it another form of insurance. I am to the point that not only do I have travel insurance, I am starting to book airfare through RCI. I do not want to miss a boat ever again. Once was enough. Let the cruise company take the responsibility.

Rick & Denise

Quote:

Originally Posted by LLSullie

I don't sail until December ... I am HOPING that airfare goes down in the fall. :cool:

Your spellin is killin me!!!!!!!!!!!!

???? I'm a bit confused because I don't see any misspellings in the quote.

As far as airfare goes, just buy when you think its a good price because there will most likely not be any deals down the road. I have been flying about 2 to 3 times a year these last few years and the planes are all sold out. Why would a troubled airline drop prices if the flights are still selling out.

Back in Feb/Mar the flights from Dulles to San Juan (nonstop) for November 4th-12th were about $300 (including taxes and fees). But I decided to wait to see if they would drop. Well, they didn't...they only increased. But, I still held out and tried using Mobissimo EVERY day to find a better fare. Well, I got lucky and got 4 tickets (nonstop) on United for $293 with all fees. I found Mobissimo to be the best price over Kayak, travelocity, sidestep and others. The last time I checked the fare for our flight was over $540.00. I would just keep trying, however, I also was told that if you book and the price drops, they will give you a credit for the difference (it must be used within one year). Good luck...I know how frustrating it is!!!

ginrom is correct. If they change your time, you can switch flights at no charge. This just happened to me last month on American. They only changed my time by an hour but they also changed my aircraft. I didn't like the type of plane so I wanted to change and was able to because of the time thing. No charge.

Just my 2 cents but I always book my airfare last and within 1 to 2 months of departure. I use to book months in advance and always- I mean - ALWAYS paid more. The fares will drop in September for Fall / Winter travel.

The only exception to this I have found is with Alaska airlines limited flights to Florida from the west coast. We live in Wa state and Alaska is our preferred airline. Well, they only have one flight daily to Miami and I didn't book it way in advance. Not only did the fares skyrocket but the flight sold out. No matter, I booked on American for half the price. I booked 2 months out as it was Spring break and I thought I better grab the $389 fare into Miami and out of Orlando. Well, one month before departure, they dropped to $309.

I'd be very leary about booking months and months in advance. Going into summer now, the fares will be highest, even if your flying in November / December.

Jenn

Been checking daily, in some cases a couple times a day.

There seems to be aywhere from a $10 to $30 drop. I'm going to hold off until August and start looking again ... this is making me crazy ! ! !

I do know that after the last disaster I will NEVER fly Delta again ... so that leaves me United, AA and Continental. My Fingers are crossed :cool:

I'm flying from Los Angeles to San Juan in July. My problem is that we want to fly United since we're Mileage Plus Premiere members and want the credited miles. But airfare on United is ridiculous - over $900! Not only that, but there's a stop involved. I feel stupid booking with United, especially when I know that I can find a flight that may be around $650, and a nonstop one at that.

When I called RCI to see if I could do Custom Air, they gave me a base of $689 + $50 fee + whatever the extra United cost would be. But then, she came back on the phone and said that all the United flights were sold out already. Guess I'm not the only one that wants to fly United from LAX, even though it seems so much more inconvenient and not at all economical. I am a bit surprised that all the flights would already be gone.

Try jet Blue to FLL. Fares are about 195 round trip. We cab to miami for about $ 60.00. Plus leather seats and TV's!!

IAD (dulles to FLL) but can only book 6 months in advance

Sorry didnt realize you need to get to San Juan

Have you tried setting up a "fare watcher" on any of the big internet sites? I did that for our cruise in November, and was able to get airfare from SLC to MIA for $220 per person --- it had been running over $400. I booked mine in mid-April, but had left the fare watcher set up, and got emails yesterday and today that the price had come back down to about what we paid for it. Friends were able to book their SLC - FLL in January for $215. He was amazed, as he had looked on Wednesday and it was over $500, and dropped on Thursday to $215.

I am having the same issues... Norfolk, VA to San Juan... has me all over the east coast, in every airport I ever wanted to see and some that I don't. Gees. I have the potential to spend an entire day flying. Norfolk to Miami, Miami to Orlando, then Orlando to San Juan? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK

I am having the same issues... Norfolk, VA to San Juan... has me all over the east coast, in every airport I ever wanted to see and some that I don't. Gees. I have the potential to spend an entire day flying. Norfolk to Miami, Miami to Orlando, then Orlando to San Juan? EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKK

When I went to San Juan in March, the only cheaper airfare I ever found than RCCL's was some doozies of routes.

Option # 1:

Fly north to Chicago, leaving at 6am.

Then South to St. Louis

Then Northeast to JFK

Then South to San Juan, Arriving around midnight.

Option # 2L

Fly southwest to DFW, leaving at 5:30am.

Fly East to Raleigh

Fly North to JFK

Then South to San Juan, again arriving around midnight.

I saw this thread and wanted to add my experience both past and present.

Back in June 2005 I purchased 2 round trip tickets to San Juan to board AOS in August for $952.58 From Huntsville Alabama but I found out later it sent me from Alabama to Cincinnati then to Pittsburgh then to Miami then to San Juan. UGH! So for an additional $150 per ticket plus the $40.00 to change the flights we went from Huntsville to Atlanta to San Juan. Much nicer and faster!

I purchased 11 round trip tickets to Miami on June 24th for our FOS cruise in February 2006.

Last month Delta called and offered me a $150.00 voucher per ticket if I would change my departure times from Atlanta. I declined because we wanted to spend an entire day at Miami which is why we booked the very early flights. My husband seems to think Delta will probably call back and up their offer. I hope not; then I might be tempted.;)

Any way my 2 cents worth. It's good to be back on the boards again. I've been absent for awhile but I had to come back now that Freedom is so near!

I am a bit surprised that all the flights would already be gone.

The cruise lines and travel sites have a certain amount of seats allotted to them. It's possible that the flights are not full, that just all of the seats held for "other sites" have been sold.

Keep trying! ;)

Originally Posted by NancyB84

When I went to San Juan in March, the only cheaper airfare I ever found than RCCL's was some doozies of routes.

I'm with you on that one, I actually had one come up that was from Dulles To Boston to Philadelphia to Atlanta to san Juan.

They must think we don't pay attention ... :cool:

Dulles is notoriously overpriced anyway and now with the gas price issues it's catching on all over the place.

Put out some fare watcher notifications, crossing my fingers.

I think that that might be wishful thinking. I booked a flight from DCA to MIA several months ago and the fare has gone up significantly since then. Depending on the time in December don't forget you are going to be competing with the Holiday travelers. Good Luck!!

Yes, we booked from BWI to Miami for August travel several months ago, and prices have increased since we booked. I'm afraid to think about what they are now.

Oh my goodness. :eek:

Been checking daily, in some cases a couple times a day.

There seems to be aywhere from a $10 to $30 drop. I'm going to hold off until August and start looking again ... this is making me crazy ! ! !

I do know that after the last disaster I will NEVER fly Delta again ... so that leaves me United, AA and Continental. My Fingers are crossed :cool:

Ok, I'm afraid to ask. What was your disaster with Delta? I booked a flight for $243 pp in Oct which was the best rate i could find for the airport we're flying out of. I'm not sure I really want to know, but go ahead and tell me....:confused:

Archived