Winning isn’t Everything – Celebrity Mercury, 5/8 Mexico to Alaska

bepsf

AMEN!!! Finally!!! Someone who has been to NOBU and knows REAL SUSHI!!! I have posted this multiple times on different threads....X Sushi is not the real stuff!!!

Um, but a seasoned cruiser would already know this. Maintaining food on a cruise ship has its limitations. Unless they flew the fish in from a helicopter on a daily basis, there's no way that the sushi is going to be on the same level as Nobu. And as someone who knows and loves sushi, I wouldn't expect top grade (and would probably avoid raw fish selections for that very same reason). In fact, I'd move on to something I know I'd probably enjoy more.

I'm sorry that the OP's experience was so bad. We're traveling on Mercury for the first time this summer and hope to have a great time.

AMEN!!! Finally!!! Someone who has been to NOBU and knows REAL SUSHI!!! I have posted this multiple times on different threads....X Sushi is not the real stuff!!!

X-actly!

;)

BTW -- I certainly wasn't expecting Nobu - more my local cheap sushi-bar that's in the alley behind my office here in downtown SF ($9 for a 12-piece lunch)

There are massive refrigerators on board all ships - it's not impossible to keep one at the proper temperature to maintain fish for the week between deliveries (most sushi bars in the US get fish delivered weekly) - but one has to PAY to provide that type of quality service.

...which really is the point here. If Celebrity hadn't advertised themselves for the past several years as a premium cruiseline, I probably wouldn't be so harsh on them (HAL got the message and improved due to our comments here and aboard their ships - MSC got the message and no longer bills themselves as premium). It takes more than white dinner jackets on the stewards and charging $9.95 for martini's (+15% auto-tip, plus anything you want to add for exceptional service :confused: ) to make a premium cruiseline, and IMHO, X simply doesn't deliver.

Hi Brian, I have been reading this on both boards.

I sailed on HAL 2 years ago and they didn't deliver for me

either. (Though I did sail on for all 7 days;) ).

I know you won't be back on X (well I can guess that much

after this) and I probably won't be back on HAL.

And I am sure both lines will be fine without either

one of us;)

Since I frequent the HAL board more often than this one, I posted my response to this scathing review there. I'm copying it here because as a person who loves both Celebrity and HAL, I feel this review is just a little over the top. The following is exactly as I posted on the HAL board:

It's interesting that when someone posts a review as negative as this one on the HAL board about another cruise line everyone rejoices and roars with laughter.

If you posted a review like this about a HAL ship (and people have) on this board, you would be torn to shreds.

I'm sorry your cruise was so disappointing because I hate it when a person has a rotten time. But the fact is you got a huge kick out of tearing apart this cruise. Complaining, for instance, about the rise into the bathroom is just silly. It's an older ship. You should be my age and sailed on some of the ships I have before ramps, etc.

One reason we cancelled our cruise that ended in Ensenada is I got wind that the port is a nightmare. So I'm very sympathetic with you about what happened there.

I'm surprised they charged for the T-pool. On the Millennium class ships, the T-pool is free. The ships are spotless and magnificent. The cabins are far prettier than HAL's with far more storage space (at least in the Verandah cabins). And I never tripped once.

I've never been on the Mercury so I can't comment. But personally I find the Lifeboat drill far superior to the HAL drill. I think it's a good thing for them to point out the fact that all may not go according to plan, because it just might not. The lifeboat drill is one of the most important moments on your cruise. When people complain about the HAL drill, everyone posts in support of this important event and criticizes the OP for complaining it takes too long or it's too hot.

If I had a less sophisticated taste in food, I'd be concerned by your criticism of your dining experience. But I've cruised Celebrity 3 times ... twice recently. The food is lightyears ahead of HAL in the dining room although I still prefer the HAL Lido. I could always order anything I wanted even when it wasn't on the menu. We loved the Creme Brulee so much, they made it especially on a second night.

So I continue to love HAL and I continue to love Celebrity. But when I read a review that seems to voice only one or two positives, I have to be suspect. Sorry ... go ahead a flame me.

I'd sure hate to see anyone planning a Celebrity cruise be put off by this review.

I rarely post but this one really caught my attention. I have sailed both HAL and Celebrity and like them both very much.

The OP is very active on the HAL board and always has so much valuable info to contribute. Also, the above poster, Heather, is one that I am always interested in hearing from. She is very reasonable and factual.

If I remember correctly, bepsf won this from Celebrity/Travelocity and had quite a difficult time getting Celebrity to actually deliver.

All ships / trips are hit and miss; one person can have a great time while another can find it a nightmare. The fact that it was free doesn't mean bepsf has to say it was great even if it wasn't, but I guess though I would expect that he might be a bit more gracious about it. I am sure he made the right choice for himself, but I was very surprised he would disembark early.

I hope Celebrity / Travelocity continue to have these contests and give someone else a chance to enjoy a free cruise.

First I would like to say that I have enjoyed this thread so much and for that I have to thank Brian and all the other posters. I believe his review was extremely well written and thought through. It is his sincere opinion and must be respected.

It has no effect on my opinion. It was never directed at any of us who love X and was certainly not personally directed at any of us. This is an example of what makes people so fascinating and why I enjoy cruising so much.

Thank you Brian and I hope we get a chance to meet at some point, maybe on another X cruise? My wife and I would love to buy you a drink. Thanks again for your gutsy post. :)

My experience is limited to two prior cruises --both on HAL-- so I guess I may be accused of being Pollyannish in my perception. I choose to hold to the adage "If life gives you lemons, make lemonade." There were incidents on both cruises I could dwell on that would succeed in making me miserable and lead HAL-bashers to chant "Right on!" "Tell it like it is!"

I am happily retired from a job I truly enjoyed and found most fulfilling. Yet there were days and events I could list that would lead others to think mine was a horrible life. I choose to take the approach that there is a lot of good to offset the bad. If I expect everything and everyone to be perfect (like me :D ) I will be miserable. I complain about things, sometimes a lot, but truly feel blessed to still be alive and able to live life as it presents itself.

I am really looking forward to October, a couple of nights in Barcelona, and then on board Century for her return to the US!

I respect everybody’s right to give their opinions and love to read of their experiences when they are balanced. I read the op’s so called review and to me it comes off more like a rant rather than a review and how do you call two days of an eleven day cruise a review? I have sailed Rccl, Hal and Ncl and now will try Celebrity, this post will have no impact on me trying Celebrity and I hope first time cruiser’s will take this with a grain of salt. There are a lot of great reviews on the Mercury and other Celebrity ships to base an opinion of the experience.

I also read this on the HAL board, as I posted there, We tried Celebrity Century once, it seemed like a really good deal compared to the competition. We were shocked how run down and drab it was, very very overrated. Our cabin and some public areas were In dire need of refurb. Cabin bathroom too gross to even describe. I have to laugh about leaving the ship early, I wanted to jump off the Century and swim over to either Princess HAL or RCI tied up next to us. Carnival would have been fine. I have no affiliation or total loyalty to any line, we like to try different things.

I noticed that too, Heather. I could almost hear hands being rubbed together.:rolleyes:

Phil

Phil, yes!!! Exactly:D ! That was the feeling I got and why I reacted the way I did. It reminded me of people who just revel in bad news.

We always have to remember that we all have different expectations and some of us are just more critical than others. And sometimes, when things start off wrong (like Brian didn't like the way the Maitre D' dismissed him), it can all go downhill from there.

I'm still uncomfortable with a review based on a 2 day portion of a cruise. I'm rarely even settled in until late the 2nd day:o . I'm not saying "stuff" didn't happen because I'm sure it did. And I don't doubt Brian had a lousy time. Personally I'm sad about that because I really hoped he'd like Celebrity as much as I do.

And I'm certainly not saying the ship is well maintained, etc., because I've never been on her. So as I said on the HAL board, what do I know?:)

(and thank you, boatlover ...)

I don't start threads anymore on the condition of X ships but plenty of other people do on this board and several others I read . Seems to be a recurring issue. Sometimes I respond with my opinion. Sometimes I dont. I earned the right to complain after spending hard earned $ . I've sailed quite a few lines and I read all the message boards for each one. No one line is perfect but X maintenance and refurbishing is severely lacking, newbies cant help but notice. I dont spend a lot of time comparing one line to another, each has its strengths. But unless you have established a fond tie to X, the ships condition is hard to overlook. Reminded me of aging Holiday Inns just before they've sold off to Days Inn. I've never complained about service or food on board. We're not difficult customers, had never even turned in a negative comment card before X. I'm truly amazed the executives dont start a massive capital improvement program to totally redo all these ships. Potential customers need to know pros and cons before they choose

Sammiedawg, I have to say your post seems a bit exaggerated. Sounds like you're describing an old barge, for heaven's sake:o !!

I like things so new and fresh and nicely done that we've never bought anything but a brand new home. Yet I've cruised in recent years on the Millennium and the Summit and no one could possibly have even the slightest complaint about the state of either ship, IMO. Quite the contrary.

As I posted on the HAL boards - I certainly take Heather's point to heart and concede that my experience on Mercury may not be indicative of X as a whole, just as Lois and Tatka's bad experiences on Zuiderdam (Lois, I still remember checking the boards every hour or so to hear from you while you were on the Big Z's Hurricane cruise!) isn't necessarily indicative of HAL as a whole. Indeed, I have heard good things from others on the M-Class ships (except for folks on the Blown-Pod Cruises!)

However, one thing I have learned this week is that I will certainly be less inclined to read a bad comment by someone and regard them as some sort of crackpot. Downplaying the experiences of others with comments such as "Well, I was on that ship a couple years ago and had a great time" doesn't make things better. Furthermore, replying with "I was on a completely different ship..." or "Didn't you know that ship was scheduled for drydock soon after your cruise?" - thereby justifying their bad experience, and shaming them for sharing their experience is just plain wrong.

Personally, it amazes me how some folks make excuses and actually defend things that they put up with aboard a ship that they might never put up with in a hotel or restaurant on land. I would hate for someone to read a bunch of cheer-leading comments only to board a ship thinking "If this is as the best like everyone says, then cruising must not be for me..." It's up to us to call the corporations on their misleading advertising - letting them know when they're selling Tiffany quality but providing dimestore merchandise - otherwise, things will never be as good as they ought to be.

I also have a greater empathy for folks whose cruises are interrupted and ruined by Norovirus and feel that some sort of consideration is due - especially if they don't have the luxury of a private verandah and jacuzzi tub! I'm just so thankful that I was able to endure my misery here at home rather than locked up in a tiny prison at sea.

So Sammie, post away till someone listens - but perhaps elaborate in more specific detail so that folks understand that you're not just cranky. I have the feeling that you probably had a tired, ill or unhappy steward who didn't care for his work and therefore didn't take the care to make you comfortable.

SailorG, ThomasS and BoatL - Thanks for your kind words ;)

I honesty hope that everyone has great cruises in the future - and that RCCL/X makes any changes necessary so you can.

:)

I think it is about time to put this entire thread to rest. Bepsf had the luck to win a FREE cruise but chose to leave the ship after only two days. Probably there are more reasons for him doing it than he is telling us, but that is his business. In any case he is home now, nursing a cold or some virus which no doubt in his mind Celebrity gave him intentionally. I wish him happy sailing on all his future HAL cruises.

Sometimes we all need to take off our rose colored glasses and be brutally honest. I've sailed my share of cruises, three of them on X and another booked on X for 07. I've had a great time on all of them and intend to continue to in the future. BUT, the OP has made some points that I have noticed on all my X cruises that I thought were valid. That half glass of warm champagne at embarkation doesn't impress me. If X is going to offer bubbly, why not do it right? And the beds.... :eek: but it's actually those flat rock hard pillows that I have had to ask to be replaced every time that makes me wonder how flat do they have to get to be considered worn out enough to be replaced without asking? Regarding the X Captains club parties.... they could learn a LOT from RCI and that's JMHO.

Many of the issues that OP has had with this cruise could be overlooked and still have a great time or asked someone in charge for assistance in correcting a problem. I would have made some lemonaid in this situation. ;)

Well said Masterbaker, really well said. I for one, am going to look harder to find things that will ruin my good time. I am NOT saying this is what Brian was saying. I do believe his comments as his perception of his cruise. That is too bad. Really.

I guess when I get on vacation I am sooo glad to be there that alot of things that would otherwise bother me ( the step going into the bathroom, I too have had battles with that one, the small size of EVERTHING in the room, I am a big clumsy guy, the crummy sleeping table, I call it the RACK, the melting ice, I have a 50lb Crystal Tips ice maker at home, love good ice, etc.) well, on vacation they just don't annoy me. I am overwhelmed by the joy of cruising and the sea air and the service ( I get none at home, sorry Dear) and the Ships ambiance that I am carried away.

My worst cruise ever was on Carnival Triumph. I still had a GREAT time. I will not repeat the experience because there are so many I can count on that I don't need to take a chance. My perception is that Carnival does not give me what I want in a cruise. Do I think that all the Carnival converts are nuts or wrong? Of course not. That is what they enjoy, not me. I will not try to sway them to my thinking (again NOT what Brian was doing). They will not sway me to theirs'.

I think that Brian will avoid Celebrity and stay with HAL. I wish him the best. I somehow feel that he will find fault with them (as he has already indicated) and for that I feel sad. Believe me, rose colored glasses are MEANT for vacation and I for one, hope mine NEVER come off.

A HAPPY cruiser :)

...RCCL/X: It's a well known fact that RCCL owns X. Apparently, X was running into cashflow issues while Mercury was being built - and Richard Fain was still P.O.'d from CCL "stealing" Costa from them, so they bought/bailed out X and immediately made drastic changes to management and severe cost-reductions. Now, RCCL pretty much runs X in its own style, therefore my comments referring to RCCL as the corporate entity...

Yes and everyone knows that Carnival owns HAL, and that HAL has also been run quite a bit differently since it's acquisition by Carnival a few years back. But I don't suppose you refer to HAL as Carnival on your HAL postings do you? And you claim no bias? Are you saying that HAL hasn't also had cost-reduction and reductions in quality of service and food since it's pre-Carnival ownership days?

The entire mass cruise industry, of which our beloved Celebrity and HAL are a part, is not quite what it was a few years back. But neither is the cost to the passengers. There have been a lot of improvements, and a lot of cut-corners. But the experience is still right for me, and many others here.

Yes and everyone knows that Carnival owns HAL, and that HAL has also been run quite a bit differently since it's acquisition by Carnival a few years back. But I don't suppose you refer to HAL as Carnival on your HAL postings do you? And you claim no bias? Are you saying that HAL hasn't also had cost-reduction and reductions in quality of service and food since it's pre-Carnival ownership days?

The entire mass cruise industry, of which our beloved Celebrity and HAL are a part, is not quite what it was a few years back. But neither is the cost to the passengers. There have been a lot of improvements, and a lot of cut-corners. But the experience is still right for me, and many others here.

It was this very thing that leaves me to believe that the OP had a bone to pick from the get-go. I try to read the reviews in an unbiased manner, and I am no Celebrity loyalist--we haven't even taken our first X cruise yet--but the sarcastic tone of the review, coupled with leaving the cruise after only 2 days let me to believe that this reaction was predetermined. As for the writing, yes, it's very good, and very funny, but I'm an editor IRL and it seemed over the top to me.

To each his own. I know that my hub and I will make the best of our cruise, whatever happens. And barring any catastrophe, we'll stay through till the end.

Just to keep the record straight the second quote that Jukeboxy credited me with regarding being bored and claustrophobic was NOT made by me but by none other than Bepsf himself. The first quote WAS mine and I do wish him happy cruising on HAL or which ever line he decides to cruise on. As I said before this seems to be open season for Celebrity bashing lately.

I am not defending Brians review, however I do not disagree with everything he has said.

This board is about opinion, both negative and positive...thats how opinions and boards work. sometimes showing disatisfation is just as important as overly praising.

If you read any of Brians other posts, it seems he is a fair level headed person, maybe with a few higher expectations than some of us, but as they say " one persons trash is another mans treasure".

Lois- I agree there are loyalists to lines. I am one of them. I can over look the slightly unhappy things in leu of the fact that I have experienced more happy ones and know they bad ones are not the norm. Celebrity is my line of 'choice' I have sailed on others and found that I want to call them home over all the others....Having travelled the different lines I could make many valid complaints over what others feel would be bashing...and I sometimes do. So you are correct in bringing up the loyalist thing.:)

We all have different expectations in life, some are higher than others. Being said, X didn't meet Brians expectations. We have to respect that, and let him have his say.

Brian also tends to write with a creative flair. Instead of simply saying something was not up to his expectations, he uses adjectives, references, and personal flair to describe his experiences. This should only be a plus. His stories and posts are easy, enjoyable to read, and sometimes humorous regardless if they are negative or positive to the reader.

Lets try to embrace diversity and difference of opinion....

Dave:eek:

BTW: the cold bubbles blowing on my butt in many of the hot tubs were kind of annoying; and not something I expected either:D

Archived