Winning isn’t Everything – Celebrity Mercury, 5/8 Mexico to Alaska

bepsf

Wow, I have heard some scathing reviews, but I think this one takes the cake!

I really don't think the cruise thing is for you. I know the Mercury isn't the best ship out there right now, but I am amazed that you spent so much time picking everything apart.I have been on over 20 cruises. I have loved some of them and some I have enjoyed a little less. But I was always able to have fun. I guess if you go around trying to not have a good time, you will.

Okay, I realize you boys in SF have higher standards than us common folk. But can you stop for a second and realize how ridiculous you sound?

There are millions of people in this world who never get to experience a cruise or even a real vacation at all. And you gave up on an 11-day FREE cruise after only 2 days because you didn't like the layout of the buffet, they didn't give you a free foo-foo coffee after your sub-par dinner of filet mignon and the jacuzzi blew (dare I say it) cold bubbles on your sweet tush. Oh, the horror!!!

I pity people who can't create their own happiness and instead have to depend on situations being "ideal" to have a good time.

I have never read a more slanted review. What a shame that it had to be this person who won the free cruise and then chose to leave the ship after only 2 days. It seems that lately the favorite sport on these CC boards is Celebrity bashing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=345409

Interesting to read the replies to this review on the HAL board!! Exact same review but totally opposite reactions.

I am reading everything I can about this cruiseline/ship before I actually book it- I think I'll read some more reviews from people who actually suffer through the whole experience rather than jumping ship after 2 days.

LoisR-I am depending on YOU to make my decision easier:D

I pity people who can't create their own happiness and instead have to depend on situations being "ideal" to have a good time.

I wasn't there. I can't say. But when I read his review and compared it to my one and only ever cruise (on HAL) all I kept thinking was "That wasn't complimentary? (it is on HAL) That wasn't available? (it was on HAL) It was set up THAT poorly? (it went smoothly on HAL)"

HAL has a lot of really nice touches. I'm sure Celebrity does, also.

But, no, I don't blame him for getting off early. I probably would have stuck it out.

But a free crappy trip is still a crappy trip. IMHO.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=345409

Interesting to read the replies to this review on the HAL board!! Exact same review but totally opposite reactions.

I am reading everything I can about this cruiseline/ship before I actually book it- I think I'll read some more reviews from people who actually suffer through the whole experience rather than jumping ship after 2 days.

LoisR-I am depending on YOU to make my decision easier:D

Karen, Hi...me? There are many cruisers, (Teedee, Walter, etc)

who just returned home from sailing Mercury on April 28th.

Walter wrote a raving review:) ....that is why I am really

sad Brian had such a horrible time.:(

I don't say that with sarcasm but sincerley....he found it so horrific

he got off the ship after only 2 days? I am really sorry about it.

But I plan to have a wonderful time.

As for the post being over on the HAL boards too. I was wondering

when someone was going to bring that up.

To be totally honest it adds to what most would expect. They

love HAL and we love X.

I sailed HAL once and after that I came back to Celebrity.

Now, I didn't have as horrible a time as Brian. I met a family

in Arizona I still keep in touch with, the Piano Bar was fun

and entertainment was excellent too. But as to my service,

personally for me, X wins.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a X-HAL comparison but

I guess that is what this ended up being.

I didn't mean to bash HAL...( I don't think I did that actually).

And I agree with Babette....I wish he would have called me;)

I would have changed places too!

As two of the incredibly satisfied April 28th CC folks - I'm anxious to hear from Jan and Bo - they are members of our group who stayed on for a B2B. I wonder if they noticed a drastic decline in just about everything? :confused:

A lot of questions still to be asked...But...

The Sushi is made on the boat.

Every time I have gone to the Sushi resturant area on Celebrity they are making it right there.

As for the slam on how good it is.. Better than most land based places I have been.

I'll just chalk it up to a HAL cruiser being forced onto a Celebrity ship.

How did he win a free Celebrity cruise???? :eek:

As for the post being over on the HAL boards too. I was wondering

when someone was going to bring that up.

To be totally honest it adds to what most would expect. They

love HAL and we love X.

Hi Lois:)

Then there are those of us that enjoy more than one line - or certain ships in a line - and choose them for different reasons depending on what we are looking for.

Until my recent HAL cruise, I had avoided sailing with them because I did not care for the experience back in the 80s when I was aboard doing seminars for their passengers. Too staid and boring for me then! However, I was pleasantly surprised by many aspects of my ZUI cruise in March and look forward to more cruises with HAL.

I also love the M class ships of Celebrity and am really excited about cruising on Century this November. That ship is the perfect size for me and, from the description of the enhancements and changes they are making, it promises to be pretty fabulous! I also loved Horizon and Zenith when they were new but I would not cruise on Zenith now because there are things that are important to me that I would miss (balconies, nice gym). I was quite frankly just really surprised by Mercury last October. IME, she was not up to the standards I was used to with X, except for dining room food and service.

As you know, I really like the Radiance class ships of RCI for design and amenities. And their Elite perks are pretty terrific as well. I would also rather sail on the oldest ships in the RCI fleet than the newer Voyager class ships. IME, RCI does an excellent job in keeping their fleet spiffy. I think X should do the same.

I am certain you will have a fabulous time on Mercury and love Alaska :)

At first I didnot want to react to this postings, as english isnot my 1st language and sometimes it can be difficult to find the correct words to express what I think....

I agree anybody can give his reactions/views about his cruise be it negative or positive. But..I really get the impression that Brian was for whatever reason disappointed even before the cruise started and after that couldnot or wouldnot be happy or neutral enough to see pre's or contras.

Like writing about 1/2 glass of champagne when getting on the ship....was that really that important to you?

Embarkation sounded awful, but things can go wrong for various reasons.

Yes Mercury isnot a new ship and to compare e.g. Mercury with Oosterdam like somebody did is absolutely incorrect. They are of different age and seize.

Size of cabins can be found in websites, be it Celebrity, HAL or any other company, so you can know how big/small cabins are. There might be some difference in seize between X and HAL in the same category, but not that much I think, apart from the bathroom, they are smaller on Mercury as it often is shower (no tub) only.

There is a difference in cabinsizes on some "Concierge Class", maybe Brian was disappointed not getting one of those cabins.?

I really donot want to give my reactions on every item Brian is writing about, but some of them I think sound rather childish and are just made for having laughs about that. (Be it the buffet-area, the navigatorsclub, you name it.)

Cruise-lines have different ways of doing muster-drill. I agree on HAL it is done on a "serious"way. Celebrity does it different and as far as I know also Princess does it like celebrity.

We sailed Mercury over 2 years ago, we liked it that much, that we made another Celebrity Cruise on Summit to Hawaii last March.

We saw some places on Summit that needed new paint, maybe some chairs needed replacement, but that was not important enough to us to not enjoy that cruise.

We made cruises on HAL before, so I think I can compare too.

Yes I agree with Brian the onionsoup is awful, apart from that we had real good meals served by a fantastic waiter, a very nice maitr d".

Please also be aware that the price for a cruise can be another reason for choosing a cruiseline/ship etc.

On our Summit cruise we had a balcony-cabin, but if we sailed on "Amsterdam" during almost the same date, for that price it would have been an outside cabin...

No plans yet, but our next cruise could be with HAL or maybe again on Celebrity...

Karen, Hi...me? There are many cruisers, (Teedee, Walter, etc)

Yes, Lois, YOU!! I have ben lurking around here for quite awhile and find that your way of cruising is very similar to my style. The OP has quite diferent expectations so his review didn't help me, although it might help others who expect a certain level of service, etc.

I can't imagine ever cruising to Alaska since I live in the snow and cold (I know, Alaska is beautiful!) but I am looking forward to your review of the ship. I hope you and all of your CC buddies have a great time and stay onboard for the whole trip:D

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.........You get what you pay for....

Maybe they didn't ask you why you were leaving as they were glad to get rid of a crabby passenger?t :)

In regards to your first statement, are you saying that winning a cruise should lead to lowered expectations?

How many completely satisfied customers would leave in the middle of a cruise? Of course, they should have asked.

I think Brian left because the problems he encountered could not be fixed, ie, poor bedding, poor gym equipment, etc. (at least not during the cruise)

As a HAL/Windstar customer considering X, I found the compare/contrast aspect of his review to be quite interesting.

Beth

It's like asking 100 people if they like their mother.........you are bound to get a few people that don't.

I just find it odd that the best thing he could talk about was his good seat on on the airplane.

Anyday that I can take a vacation rather than go to work is a good day in my book. I wouldn't care if I was in a Motel 6 in BFE. Especially if it was FREE!!!

The one thing that I question in his review is the his critique of the restaurant service as it contradicts everything I have experienced in all my Celebrity cruises:

Cheesecake was also bland (did they use any flavorings at all?) except for the two fresh berries on top (“Can I just have a bowl of those?” “No Sir…”) Cherries Jubilee was delicious vanilla ice cream w/ cherry sauce from a can (“Can I just have a bowl of the ice cream?” "In the Palm Springs Café, Sir”)

I have never had a waiter on Celebrity tell me no. All our waiters on our numerous Celebrity cruises have gone out of their way for us and others at our table. And ice cream is available for dessert every night - with vanilla and chocolate being a choice available all nights as well as the ice cream flavor of the night.

If my waiter ever actually came back with those remarks, I would have spoken with the maitre'd immediately. That is not the Celebrity treatment. We have even had waiters who have gone out of their way to serve us. One night we asked about a chocolate dessert that was served at lunch that was delicious. The next night our whole table got that dessert along with the one that they ordered. On one of our transatlantic cruises one of our tablemates ordered the blueberry icecream with a bowl of fresh blueberries on the side. He got it and asked if the ice cream would be available tomorrow. Our waiter told him that it was the flavor of the night but he would see what he could do. The rest of the cruise he got a bowl of blueberry icecream and fresh blueberries every night.

I am not saying that the OP is making his review up - you can have a bad experience on any cruiseline while others on the same cruise think it is wonderful.

For those that are reading this posters review and using it decide on Celebrity, please note that for every cruise and every cruise line there will be somebody who has a bad experience. It's when you see constant bad reviews and no or little good ones that counter that you need to worry.

Hi Kim:)

Yes, I know there are folks who sail different lines and ships too!

I am glad you enjoyed the Zuiderdam.....it was my only HAL

cruise and the least enjoyable of any for me.

When I wrote my review...A LONG TIME AGO....I tried to put the

pros and cons in it.

The service was lacking~In my opinion...for me. I had run-in's with

their Maitr'd too....so I guess that can happen on any ship.

The reason I mentioned HAL earlier is because that seems to

be his preference.

And on any message board...you get the pro and cons.

His friends on HAL are totally supportive. That is understandable...

I was just sort of putting my own view and what I see around it.

That is why I said what I said.

And I know your experience was not good on Mercury either.

Funny thing is....when I sailed her 2 years ago I had a marvelous

time and plan to again!

Funny thing is....when I sailed her 2 years ago I had a marvelous

time and plan to again!

Lois,

When you get back from your cruise, please give us your feedback.....the good, the bad & the ugly...(if there is any).

I don't mind hearing the misfortunes of other cruisers, but I also like to hear their good experiences as well.

Like I said, you can't make everyone happy all the time, but dang I wish I would have won the cruise ;)

This doesn't mirror our cruise last year at all. We really enjoyed Mercury and found it a lovely ship, easy to navigate and on the whole well planned to make it feel very uncrowded. I also found the cabin, for its size had a great deal of storage. I found myelf scratching my head at a lot of the comments.

I know that bepsf had some issues prior to going on this cruise and was about to give up his "free" trip and then posted here which resulted in, from what I recall, some support to keep pursuing things and claim his prize. So perhaps things were set for disappointment before they had begun.

Just a couple of observations. The glass of champagne at the beginning being half full maybe set the tone for the whole thing;) It also seemed that he had drawn conclusions about the Maitre d' before he'd even met him and then "told him" he wanted to make some table arrangements. I always find "asking" for things promotes a better response.

Brian, I wish you a happier next cruise.

Phil

I'm sorry that he didn't enjoy the cruise on Mercury. We just arrived back on May 8 and had a fabulous cruise.

However, I'm glad he disembarked so that neither fellow passengers or crew had to be around him!

Perhaps the OP should stick to luxury cruise lines...or suites on land?

E

Maybe it really is how you look at things........is the glass half full or half empty?;)
Ah, but you are only looking at the contents of the glass... the real question is "why is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?":D

OK, I had not planned to respond to this load of horse hocky but I can't hold back. I have been on ten cruises in the last two and one half years and three of them on Mercury. Four others on other X ships and two on HAL (Ryndam).

This Person showed his expertise by talking about RCCL in reference to the embarkion when we all know that Mercury is an X ship and X and RCCL are two seperate operations.

As to the half empty wine glass he could have had as many as he wanted. The reason for the half empty is that is the proper fill for the type of glass they use and not so easy to spill.

I question the running into the Matre'd but maybe one of the assistants. It seems to me that the important thing was a crew member was assigned to see he got to the right place to get his needs satisfied.

I agree withhajekfam that if anything the waiters with over service your needs and never has one said no.

It comes to my mind that if you leave the ship before the end of the cruise someone has to pay a penalty. If he didn't complain about paying that then the ship ignored it to get rid of a person who could ever be satisified.

I think Mercury is one of the finest ships afloat when you consider the mix of crew and service and ship condition as a total package it is hard to beat.

I have no idea what prompted this "review" from this person but I suspect he just wanted to slam X for personal reasons. :mad:

There is much to this story that is not being told. One thing is to whom and how was his dissatisfaction reported to and what did they do or say. If he did not report these issues to someone how was he able to leave the ship so easy? All of us that cruise know that when you report a problem something happens. What happens may be good or bad but it happens. We were not told of any of this by the op so I question his position.

Finally if the problem was on X why post to the HAL board except to look as the victim. On the HAL board they say he is getting bashed here but the truth is we are just inquiring minds that want to know the truth and you don't get truth from one side.

Well Brian, I want to first say that your review was complete and that you are to be commended for stating your observations as you saw them. I am amazed how thorough your observations were and wonder if you do now or are contemplating a career utilizing this talent. My nephew had a career where he worked for one of the hotel rating services and would stay at client hotels unannounced and write his review and proposed rating after departing. Anyway my Kudos to you and cherish them as as you won't get too many off this board for what I call an objective review!

My wife and I took our first Celebrity cruise on the April 28th Mercury to Mexico other than both of us contracted the Noro appoximately 24 hrs into the cruise and we rather enjoyed it. I agree with every oberservation you made on the areas we were familiar with. We spend a minimum of a couple hours a day in the gym and I thought the carpet looked new but other then the cross trainers and the treadmills the equipment is ancient and badly needs to be replaced. As an avid cyclist the cycles are pathetic but the spin classes are fine and the cycles adequate! Relative to food quality in the Manhattan restaurant I agree with every observation you made and my wife and

I will be a lot more knowledgeable on future Celebrity cruises a pefect example are the fish dishes that taste like they have been soaked in water and a lamb chop that would give mutton a bad name etc. We don't eat red meat so can't comment on that but as far as taste most meals left a lot to be desired and we didn't finish any of them either. But the pasta dishes were ok except you can't eat pasta every nite. I can't comment on things like the Jacuzzi as we wouldn't go near one what with the bacteria and noro etc. That is not just this ship that's any ship and we have taken 35 of them and are Elite on Princess. Relative to the layout of the ship I can't complain as I am an avid mountain biker and can find my way around anywhere if this is a problem for some people I sympathize! The boat drill I thought was funny as we were told to wear our life jackets and after bumping into everyone we were told how to put them on when we were seated. For the record Princess requires you carry your life jackets to and from the collection areas who knows you go figure! I saw the picture of the kidds and thought oh well maybe this means someting special and ignored it. One thing you missed out on on our cruise was our four legged friends other then seeing eye dogs which I accept! I was told by customer relations that these other dogs were also service dogs but he wasn't sure what service they provided - go figure! About sushi I ony eat it in resturants I trust and Mercury doesn't meet that criteria! My wife and I don't drink so I wouldn't care how full the glasses were ! Soooo thanks again for a thorough review and ciao!!

Archived