Transfers or Taxis?

We're sailing out of San Juan in February on Serenade of the Seas. We are flying in early afternoon (between 12:15 and 1:15 arrival time). Ship leaves at 10pm. Through our TA, it's $26 per person for round trip transfers. Seems like a good deal, especially since we will not have to worry about flagging down a taxi (and what if they go on strike or something), but curious if taxi (fare and tip) would still be cheaper.:rolleyes: Never been so please advise. Thanks!!!

A taxi to the port is about $20-25, so no money to be saved by taking the transfers. As long as there is no strike, a taxi is much better. Just get in the cab and go. No waiting for a transfer bus to fill up with people and luggage.

A taxi for sure. Who wants to be stuck in a hot van with a bunch of other sweaty people? Not me! A taxi will be much more relaxing for you and straight to the pier with no stops in between.

It's real easy to get a taxi in San Juan. Once you get off the plane & claim your baggage, you will see signs pointed out where the taxis are. At this point you go to a booth or stand & you pay the person there who in turn gives you a receipt. You then go outside & the taxis are all lined up ready to go. I prefer the taxi only because you can leave immediately & not have to wait for the shuttle to fill up. If there are only two of you travelling there isn't much difference in price but if there are lets say 4 of you, it is more cost efficient to take the taxi.

Sandi

Definitely a taxi. If you take a transfer you have to wait around for all the other flights to come in and then the bus to fill up. As far as a taxi, you don't have to flag one down. You just get a ticket at the taxi counter and wait in line which moves pretty fast.

superjerryw - $20-25 per couple one way? As you may have seen, all replies have said taxi easiest - I tend to agree because it'd be nice not to have to wait for a bus to fill up so even if I don't save the money as you stated, might just be worth being quicker. Just not 100% sure. Do you negotiate and pay rate before you leave and does the $20-25 include tip? Do you pay the tip separate/upon arrival at the port (I've obviously never done this before). Thanks.

In 2002 my last trip to San Juan a taxi was about 18$ before tip. It is far easier and cheaper than the cruiseline transfer. I can not envision any case where I would take the transfer in San Juan.

jc

superjerryw - $20-25 per couple one way? As you may have seen, all replies have said taxi easiest - I tend to agree because it'd be nice not to have to wait for a bus to fill up so even if I don't save the money as you stated, might just be worth being quicker. Just not 100% sure. Do you negotiate and pay rate before you leave and does the $20-25 include tip? Do you pay the tip separate/upon arrival at the port (I've obviously never done this before). Thanks.

There is no negotiation. It was about $25.00 with tip to get 4 of us from the airport to the Pan American pier when we sailed on Serenade last year. I do not believe that we pre-paid the trip. The attendant gives you a receipt for what the trip will cost. You give that to the driver and then pay him the amount on the receipt plus the tip.

Some of the taxis are vans, so you will be able to fit all of you and your suitcases into one vehicle. Here is a link to the rates: http://www.gotopuertorico.com/go_visitPuertoRico.php?language=english&page=100 The cost is per taxi, not per person. They do charge $0.50 per each piece of luggage, excluding hand pieces, and an additional charge of $1.00 per piece, after three pieces.

You will save about $70 using the taxi versus the transfers . . . a no-brainer!

Oh, about your one HUGE suitcase - please remember that airlines will charge you if that piece goes over 50#. You might be better off using 2 pieces. Just a thought.

Sheffie,

Thanks for reminding me about the 50 lb. rule. I'll be sure to check it before we leave. If we needed a van taxi, is that something we need to set up ahead of time or are they just sittting there at the airport all the time? Also, when we disembark at the end of our cruise, we're going to a hotel in San Juan for one night instead of leaving right away from the airport. Would there be taxis right at the pier that we could get to take us to our hotel?

We're sailing out of San Juan in February on Serenade of the Seas. We are flying in early afternoon (between 12:15 and 1:15 arrival time). Ship leaves at 10pm. Through our TA, it's $26 per person for round trip transfers. Seems like a good deal, especially since we will not have to worry about flagging down a taxi (and what if they go on strike or something), but curious if taxi (fare and tip) would still be cheaper.:rolleyes: Never been so please advise. Thanks!!!
What if the bus drivers go on strike? Taxi is best.

Sheffie,

Thanks for reminding me about the 50 lb. rule. I'll be sure to check it before we leave. If we needed a van taxi, is that something we need to set up ahead of time or are they just sittting there at the airport all the time? Also, when we disembark at the end of our cruise, we're going to a hotel in San Juan for one night instead of leaving right away from the airport. Would there be taxis right at the pier that we could get to take us to our hotel?

There will be a lot of van taxis at the airport and at the pier when you disembark. You will be fine! It sounds like you are getting all of your ducks in a row. Have a great cruise!

We used transfers in San Juan for our Thanksgiving cruise on Serenade. And I'd have to say - go for the taxi. The transfer was a bit of a zoo as there were transfer busses for Celebrity and RCCL, the lines seemed to form willy-nilly, and it was a bit of a zoo. The bus was fine once we were on it, but it did seem to take an eternity to get on it. The return was a bigger zoo...all the luggage is loaded into trucks, you are bussed to the airport and are waiting curbside as other busloads of people are dropped off and milling about waiting for the luggage trucks to show up. Then they unload that truck at the curb and it's a madhouse getting your bags. IMHO, even if the taxi cost more - it's money well spent.

Archived