10 day Volendam?

thomasale

I am currently booked on Constellation 11 day Ultimate Caribbean incl stops in Aruba, Panama and Costa Rica in November for our 30th anniversary. We have booked Concierge Class. I am concerned about all the POD problems. I have looked at Volendam 10 day Cat BB on 10/14/2006 and am interested in lieu of Celebrity.

I have never cruised HAL. I have cruised Celebrity many times, RCCL and Carnival. We have loved Celebrity from our first time aboard. I would appreciate comments from those that have experienced both...both the pros and cons.

This is a big event for us. Confused right now.

While I haven't sailed Celebrity, I can tell you the Volendam is a spectacular ship. I have sailed her 3 times and love her more each time. My most recent sailing on her was this past February with my entire family, she is still a great ship with an spectacular crew. If you decide to give HAL a try, I believe the Volendam is a perfect ship for your first HAL cruise. I hope this helps and I am sure there are some other more experienced posters here with experience on both lines that can give you their first hand experience.

We sailed Volendam last October and did one of her ten day itineraries. We had a wonderful time and really love that ship. We returned this January (just after she had her SOE upgrades drydock) and did her alternating itinerary. Also GReat! She is a very beautiful ship in wonderful condition and has a fantastic crew.

We thought her to be a great ship before her upgrades but after, she is even that much better.

She is a very gracious, warm, elegant ship IMO and we would sail her again very happily.

We are historically HAL cruisers, meaning the majority of our cruises have been on HAL. In 2005 we took advantage of Celebrity having the Galaxy in Galveston, Texas for 11/12-day Panama Canal cruises. There were things about the Galaxy, and by extension Celebrity, that we really liked. We thought the service, particularly the dining room service was excellent, and that the dining room food was equally good. I should say that we were comparing the Galaxy against a less than satisfactory HAL Oosterdam cruise in 2004. This year we went back to HAL and took a 10-day Volendam cruise in the Caribbean. Absolutely fantastic and probably the best cruise....outside of our honeymoon cruise.....that we've ever been on. All in all I think HAL and Celebrity are very close. There are things that HAL does better than Celebrity and vice versa. While we're back on HAL for next year it's not because we didn't consider Celebrity but, like a pair of old shoes, HAL is comfortable to us and we feel more "at home". I'd imagine that if we'd started on Celebrity many years ago the reverse would be true. Bottom line, all other things being equal, I think you'd have a great cruise on HAL and the beautiful Volendam. See our homepage at www.geocities.com/theklugspage for our Volendam cruise this past February.

Thanks for the compliment but credit goes to Mrs. K as our webmaster. She's built up quite a collection of tools and templates over the 5 years or so that we've had our homepage. She works hard to put it together after a cruise. :)

Randy, beautiful web page and pictures. The Volendam cruise is one that I have marked for a future cruise. After seeing your pictures, it will be moved up on the list. Thanks for sharing with us. The prices for this cruise in late nov. early dec. are very reasonable. Any other tips about this itinerary?:D

was on the same jan sailing as sail7seas on Volendam. It was our 2nd cruise on that ship and was wonderful. Only complaint and a minor one at that was that drink service was a bit slow. But the SOE (signature of excellence) upgrades were very nice, the cabins are among the largest of the mass market lines and the beds are divine. Couple those factors with the great Indonesian / Filipino crew and you can't go wrong.

Our itinerary was Half Moon Cay, Dominica, St Thomas, Aruba and Curacao. Was our first time in Curacao and loved it. Do get out and see some of the beaches if you go there. Downtown in fine but so much more to be seen in the countryside and if you go to Dominica, book a tour w/ Beno (see the Dominica board for endorsements and info).

Our first cruise was on Celebrity (Galaxy) and we loved it but next trip out the cost and itinerary was better on HAL so we tried that. Have done 5 straight now w/ HAL, not because Celebrity was substandard, just that we like the fit better with HAL, esp on the older, smaller, S class ships.

Can't see how you can go wrong by giving HAL a try.

We just did the Volendam on a 16 day cruise thru the Panama Canal .

Truly the trip of a lifetime - the ship is elegant, the crew is warm and friendly - no complaints whatsoever - I would repeat it again in a heartbeat!

Barbara

I was on the Volendam this past March for the Southern Caribbean and loved the itinerary, especially Dominica. The V'dam is a wonderful ship.

I would not hesitate to repeat that same cruise again, on the V'dam.

My wife and I were on the Volendam last November on a 10 day Southern cruise. We had previously sailed on NCL and RCCL. But after one cruise on the old Westerdam, we were hooked on Holland. We have since cruised on the Ziederdam and Volendam. We loved tha Volendam so much that we have booked another 10 day cruise on her for December 3-13, 2006 and have convinced 5 more of our friends to join us. She is an absolutely lovely medium-sized ship that you will love. We think she is the best kept secrete in the cruise industry. If you decide to try her, you'd better book your reservations soon, as she always sells out fast.

Del

I am currently booked on Constellation 11 day Ultimate Caribbean incl stops in Aruba, Panama and Costa Rica in November for our 30th anniversary. We have booked Concierge Class. I am concerned about all the POD problems. I have looked at Volendam 10 day Cat BB on 10/14/2006 and am interested in lieu of Celebrity.

Hmmm. I wasn't aware that Constellation has had problems. Most of the problems seem to be with Millenium, Infinity, and Summit. I was under the impression that Constellation had an upgraded system.

I have never sailed Volendam but have sailed other HAL ships of that class. I also did two sailings on Summit, one of which was in a 1A cabin (before Concierge Class.) Volendam is a smaller ship than Constellation, but your cabin and balcony would be a little larger in size than standard concierge class ....not as many perks, like champagne in the cabin, daily canapes, etc....if that's important to you.

I found both lines to be more alike than they are different. There were distinct differences between my two Summit cruises, and each of my HAL cruises have been different from each other. I have enjoyed them all for different reasons.

Whether you would like HAL and Volendam would depend on your own flexibility. Many people happily enjoy different cruiselines; others are sold on one particular line and prefer to stay there. If you are open to new experiences, I think you would enjoy yourself.

Congratulations on this milestone anniversary, and good luck with whichever choice you make.

My comment as I read your original post would be "The Volendam is not the worst ship to spend ten days on for I have done it a couple of times myself."

Then I read Doone's post and I must say I am also most fond of the Volendam

We are historically HAL cruisers, meaning the majority of our cruises have been on HAL. In 2005 we took advantage of Celebrity having the Galaxy in Galveston, Texas for 11/12-day Panama Canal cruises. There were things about the Galaxy, and by extension Celebrity, that we really liked. We thought the service, particularly the dining room service was excellent, and that the dining room food was equally good. I should say that we were comparing the Galaxy against a less than satisfactory HAL Oosterdam cruise in 2004. This year we went back to HAL and took a 10-day Volendam cruise in the Caribbean. Absolutely fantastic and probably the best cruise....outside of our honeymoon cruise.....that we've ever been on. All in all I think HAL and Celebrity are very close. There are things that HAL does better than Celebrity and vice versa. While we're back on HAL for next year it's not because we didn't consider Celebrity but, like a pair of old shoes, HAL is comfortable to us and we feel more "at home". I'd imagine that if we'd started on Celebrity many years ago the reverse would be true. Bottom line, all other things being equal, I think you'd have a great cruise on HAL and the beautiful Volendam. See our homepage at www.geocities.com/theklugspage for our Volendam cruise this past February.

What a great web page. I just spent an hour perusing your hard work. It certainly makes the Volendam and that itinerary in particular attractive.

Thank you all for your input. I agree that I do not believe I can go wrong with either line. I have noted that loyalties to both lines seem to run strong. I have already taken 7 cruises on Celebrity and believe it is time to spread my wings and include HAL. I have decided to cancel my Century cruise and replace that with a Volendam cruise. Since I am on the Connie for our 30th Anniv and that ship has NOT had the problems that the other Millie class ships have had I will keep my anniv cruise with them and take my chances.

Again thanks for all the comments. :)

Excellent choice, I am sure you will enjoy the Volendam just as much, if not more, than all of us who have posted here. If you have any questions about HAL or the Volendam, just ask away, we'll all do our best to answer them.

Tom - Thanks for the kind words on our homepage. As for the Volendam, great decision! Certainly one can have a less than satisfactory cruise on any ship at any time but Volendam has a clear and long history of being one of HAL's most consistent and outstanding crew, staff, and ship. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Ask away if any of us can help you with additional information.

Tom I agree with Randyk. We've sailed on both Volendam and celebrity Mercury. To us they seemed more alike than different. We were very happy with both experiences. having said that we have done 2 trips on Volendam and they were both great. You can't go wrong choosing Volendam. It was a :D great all around experience.

Just booked a family Panama Canal trip for March of next year. The wife and I have sailer her before but this will be the first time aboad for my folks( tend to sail Crystal) and the first cruise ever for my sister and brother in law. My parents have been bugging me to get it booked. They fear it will quickly sell out the way Crystal does. I told them to wait because the price would likely drop but since they are picking up the tab they wanted to book now.

We still need to book a hotel for the night before and I cant find the Marriot listed anywhere including the hotels website. What happened?

Also looking for an old web page that lists what ships wll be in what ports on a given day. Can anyone help me on this?

It isn't owned by a chain. It is owned by a relatively small group of private investors. The same group that owns Hyatt Pier 66 (which is not a corporately owned Hyatt, obviously :) ), Bahia Mar Hotel, and Boca Raton Resort and Club. I believe there is also a Holiday Inn in the holdings.

Archived