St. Petersburg- Red October or HAC

LakyM

My husband and I are sailing 8/1 on the Amsterdam. We have never been to St. Petersburg. Are we better to see if anyone wants to join us for a private car with Red October or just take the ships excursions?

We arranged a Red October tour for 6 CCer's last year. Not only could we customize the itinerary, but we were taken to the front of the lines at each stop. It actually ended up costing us less to use Red October than to use the ship, and we saw far more!!:cool:

Definitely REd October! We went when and where we wanted, got in around other groups with no waiting! Even went to a local grocery store much like Sams and rode the subway, a must! Wish I were going this summer again!!! Have fun!

Be sure to check on Roll Calls to find others to share your tour.

Red October is the only way to go.

You will see more and you wont be rush. They are more one on one with you as compare to a HAL tour where you will be rushed.

If there is something special you want to see or do tell them and they will make it happen.

Have fun you wont regret it.

I also agree RO is the only way to see St. Petersburg. We booked 2 full days with them - saw tons. Cheaper than HAL too. Nearing the end of the 2nd day we were rushed to get back to ship around 4pm. I wasn't sure why so I asked. The guide said we need to get you back before the buses from HAL get back. OK - I thought.

After getting back on the ship - my parents and hubby decided to take a nap before dinner. I wanted to see the sail away so I went on deck and saw for myself why RO wanted us back before the HAL buses. I ran and got my camera since the others were sleeping. Here is the photo I took and the line to go through immerations and back on the ship took over 90 minutes and we were an hour late leaving. I felt so sorry for some of the older people that had trouble standing for so long. Lots were in real pain.

http://www1.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=16686302/PictureID=458957050/a=16642536_16642536/t_=16642536

We are also on the August 1 sailing. We are planning to do a 2 day Value Tour with Den Rus. I am looking for any information from anyone who has done this Value Tour this summer.

I can't help you with the value tour, as it wasn't available when we went with Den-Rus last summer. But we really, really enjoyed our tour guide and two-day tour, and I'm sure you will, too!

Another vote for Red October instead of HAL. I spent both days and the evening with the Red October, and saw everything that was on all the HAL tours combined.

As noted previously, you get the individual attention, too. I saw HAL groups while in the Hermitage; there must have been 25-30 in each group. Those in the back couldn't see or hear what was being described, let alone ask questions. My micro-mini "group" could.

It was more expensive, but absolutely worth it.

We were on the Westerdam for the Baltics last summer (last two weeks in July) and utilized HAL full-day tours in St. Petersburg both days. We had excellent guides, very comfortable buses, very good lunches, and no waiting in long lines to get into the sights or back on the ship. After hearing Red October and Denrus so heavily promoted on these boards, I had been somewhat apprehensive about going the HAL route. They met all of our expectations. To each his or her own.

Thank you Willsot. We are going on the Rotterdam July 4 to the Baltic. We booked HAL's excursions and have been very nervous because of some of the comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed them and I think that you responded to some of my posts on the Baltic Board.

As we'll be in Petersburg for 3 days in July, we looked very closely at the touring situation (see the Baltic Ports board). Red October seems to be everyone's third choice, with Denrus either 1 or 2. We chose to go with Alla's Tours which are even more highly praised by those who have done them.

For reference, we've only booked one ship's tour on our 16 day itinerary (in Gdansk), and are touring "on our own" (including renting a car in Warnemunde) in the other ports. But in Petersburg you'd be foolish to do it on your own, and spend all day in lines with the ship's tours.

Thank you Willsot. We are going on the Rotterdam July 4 to the Baltic. We booked HAL's excursions and have been very nervous because of some of the comments. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed them and I think that you responded to some of my posts on the Baltic Board.

The ships tours are just fine. It's just that because you have 30-40 folks onboard the pace is a bit slower, with little to no flexibility. By taking a private tour we were able to visit a couple of stores, an upscale grocery market and a JCPenney like place. Interesting to see that Nikes are all the rage over there and that Tropicana Fresh OJ can be purchased in the middle of St. Pete's! We also visited parts of Peterhof usually missed by the big tours and were able to see much more of the city in 2 days.

My review is posted:

http://cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=12357

If you skip down to the July 31 entry, there is a description of everything we saw during the 2 days with Red October.

As we'll be in Petersburg for 3 days in July, we looked very closely at the touring situation (see the Baltic Ports board). Red October seems to be everyone's third choice, with Denrus either 1 or 2. We chose to go with Alla's Tours which are even more highly praised by those who have done them.

For reference, we've only booked one ship's tour on our 16 day itinerary (in Gdansk), and are touring "on our own" (including renting a car in Warnemunde) in the other ports. But in Petersburg you'd be foolish to do it on your own, and spend all day in lines with the ship's tours.

Dave (dakrewser) - We will be in St. Petersburg for two days next month - sailing the Rotterdam out of Copenhagen - and are about to book a tour with Alla's Tours. We will also be renting a car in Warnemunde, but would appreciate any tips you can offer for tour alternatives in Helsinki, Stockholm and Oslo. You probably won't be visiting Talinn, but if you are, have you arranged a private tour there, as well? Avoiding the huge busses and crowds on the ship's tours has been a priority!

Don (DaCr00zers)

Dave (dakrewser) - We will be in St. Petersburg for two days next month - sailing the Rotterdam out of Copenhagen - and are about to book a tour with Alla's Tours. We will also be renting a car in Warnemunde, but would appreciate any tips you can offer for tour alternatives in Helsinki, Stockholm and Oslo. You probably won't be visiting Talinn, but if you are, have you arranged a private tour there, as well? Avoiding the huge busses and crowds on the ship's tours has been a priority!

Don (DaCr00zers)

In Stockholm, Oslo & Talinn we'll be exploring on our own with the help of the local "hop on/hop off" tour buses. http://www.stockholmsightseeing.com/ has info on Oslo, Stockholm & Helsinki buses (we're just going to take the ferry over to Suomenlina in Helsinki), while http://www.citytour.ee/index.php?id=146&lang=1 is the site for Talinn.

Don (DaCr00zers)

I recommend getting the Copenhagen Card, Oslo Pass, and Stockholm Card.

http://www.europeancitycards.com/categories.asp

• 2 weeks later...

with the city cards, we found you're not there long enough to get the value out of them. only 5 hours in Stockholm for instance and Tallinn and Gdansk because so much time taken up in transportation from the port or they just stop 1/2 day. In Helsinki they have a great hop on hop off 3T tram that worked well for us for about $9.

you don't need tours in ANY port except St Petersburg. Independent travel was easily accomplished and we beat all the tours by at least an hour in every port.

we used Denrus in St Petersburg and linked up with others to make a private van of 8 people. we were so glad we did. we could move so quickly and saw so much more than the larger tours. and we got to customize the tour to what we wanted to do.

with the city cards, we found you're not there long enough to get the value out of them. only 5 hours in Stockholm for instance and Tallinn and Gdansk because so much time taken up in transportation from the port or they just stop 1/2 day. In Helsinki they have a great hop on hop off 3T tram that worked well for us for about $9.

We were on Jewel of the Seas, and generally in port from about 8-5 each day. We found the Oslo Pass was the best value. We got our money's worth in Copenhagen and Stockholm (we docked in the city). The Helsinki card was a waste of money, and I didn't bother with a Talinn card.

Archived